I was so impressed with our defense...

roddo518

Coach
I recall a few players for Utah state breaking the first tackle only to get hammered by about 4 more vol helmets split seconds later. It also looked like a few vol defenders were yelling hold em up till I get there so I can get another kill shot. Far cry from last year when if a player broke a tackle he was assured of another 20 yards of gain. Go Vols! Ark st....your next!

Reactions: 3 people
Speed on the edges has finally arrived.... Think about who was our starters last year on the edge.. SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I recall a few players for Utah state breaking the first tackle only to get hammered by about 4 more vol helmets split seconds later. It also looked like a few vol defenders were yelling hold em up till I get there so I can get another kill shot. Far cry from last year when if a player broke a tackle he was assured of another 20 yards of gain. Go Vols! Ark st....your next!

That you made two threads?

Reactions: 1 person
Only thing that scares me is that the D looked pretty damn good against NC State in 2012, and then was utterly exposed against UF. Hope we don't have a similar drop-off this year once we start playing the big boys.

The defense witnessed last night was the fastest and most athletic that I had seen at UT in many years. Hopefully this continues.

Looks like Weatherd is a potential great hybrid player.. Look for playing time to increase.. Played I believe Hendrix and Lewis

Only thing that scares me is that the D looked pretty damn good against NC State in 2012, and then was utterly exposed against UF. Hope we don't have a similar drop-off this year once we start playing the big boys.

D looked horrible in the secondary against NCS...last night we contained the edges for the most part and only have up 2 big plays I can recall..we are better now than we were then regardless.

We have size and speed everywhere. Barnett is going to be good. Hendrix got in the game too. Both are big for freshmen. AJ looked great. That is going to be a good defense. Glad to see Weatherd playing. New talent was everywhere & CM was back. Good overall performance and plenty of room to grow.

Last edited:
I will take the wait and see approach. Im still not sold on Jancek and our first 2 games last year the D looked good and had like 8 or 9 turnovers then when they got to good teams it was bad.

Reactions: 2 people

There were many more mistakes and miscues against the Wolfpack.

I will take the wait and see approach. Im still not sold on Jancek and our first 2 games last year the D looked good and had like 8 or 9 turnovers then when they got to good teams it was bad.

So, you think Jancek will be dumber and our players will get smaller and slower when we go to Norman?

Makes sense to me.:p

So, you think Jancek will be dumber and our players will get smaller and slower when we go to Norman?

I think he means we will be facing faster stronger teams and will see where we stand against even better teams. The SEC games along with Oklahoma will be the true test.

I'm concerned about our depth and tough games in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Let's hope they can hang.

The D was atrocious because Randolph went down and the players gave up on a lame duck coach. Don't see either of those happening.

The defense I saw last night was much better than the first couple games of last year. The turnovers were there then, but other teams still moved the ball well. Not at all last night.

Reactions: 2 people

I never said he was dumb , he has yet to prove he is smart or a good DC. I will admit they looked really good last night but USU isn't Ga,Fla,Bama.
makes senses to me.

I never said he was dumb , he has yet to prove he is smart or a good DC. I will admit they looked really good last night but USU isn't Ga,Fla,Bama.
makes senses to me.

Admit USU not SEC caliber but 54% on ESPN thought they would beat us. Some people will never be satisfied and will always demand further proof of so-and-so' ability. Be it a coach, a player, or an entire team.

I'm pretty much convinced, you just keep on waiting if that makes you feel more comfortable.:thumbsup:

VN Store

Back