# of National Championships

jkleno

I read a post by a moderator claiming UT was a 6-time national champ. I am all for my vols but calling us a 6-time national champ is not completely legit. The 1967 team was 9-2 and even lost the Orange Bowl and they were awarded a national championship by Litkenhous only. Realistically, when a conversation arises with a knowledgeable football rival, how many do you claim?

Remember at the time national champions were named before the bowl. Tennessee lost to UCLA to open the season and then ran the table. Record was 9-1 when the final poll made Tennessee number one.

Last edited:
Ha, y'all think this discussion goes on over at the Bama boards about theirs?

UT claims 6 and so do I.

Every all time great program has some shady NC claims.

We're no different.

Reactions: 1 person
We have had times that maybe we shouldn't have been named.. but we were. And we have had some times that we should have been and was not named.

So ultimately the official number is 6.. so that is it

There was no comprehensible National Championship formula prior to the BCS, and even the BCS didn't always get the two best teams.

Most recently the Notre Dame debacle comes to mind. Another year Alabama received the trophy for beating a LSU team on a neutral site that had already beaten them on their home field. That makes no sense to me. At least play a rubber match in Death Valley.

So I claim 6. Why not? Any team that has one questionable championship is going to claim it. To argue about this stuff is fairly useless. Who know who was really the best team in a given year?

If there were a playoff back in the day General Neyland would have stacked up more than 6 trophies on his own.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the information. Maybe "7" will arrive sooner than expected.

This is what UT's official media guide gives us credit for, this is the 2000 media guide.

Attachments

• 2014-09-02_12.16.39.jpg
    2014-09-02_12.16.39.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2

VN Store

Back