Defense 1st 2 drives

keckjm

I'll get this discussion going with my little knowledge of football, as I'm still learning fronts and gap responsibilities for each player within a specific front. Hopefully guys like Vol8188, etc will come in and make this even more clear, or fix my short comings. I'll break down the first 2 defensive drives play by play just to illustrate the changes Jancek has made play calling wise. Let's get going :rock:

1st Drive:

1st play:

Barnett stands in a three down nickel front with AJ and JRM at LB. JRM takes #33 the TE/FB and AJ seams to be in a QB spy. Randolph comes up in the box and takes on RB responsibility. The play goes for 12 yards, and #11 goes uncovered. With AJ committing to the QB the WR is left open and Coleman gets illegally blocked in the back by his WR which allowed #11 to get the 1st down. 10 yard penalty. 1st and 12.

2nd play:

3 down front again with Weatherd up the A gap on Veeren's side (strong side). Weatherd blows the play up. Barnett does an outstanding job holding the edge by keeping his man on his inside shoulder. This is also the 1st time I've seen us run a 3-3-5 defense. JRM, AJ, and Weatherd were the LBs. D-line played a 5-0-5 technique. Vereen could be in a 7 technique but hard to tell from camera angle. FS came up to pick up slot WR, but the coverage was very loose and we have a S (Randolph I believe) in a deep Cover 1 past the 1st down marker.

3rd play:

3 down front again. Offense is in trips formation. 5-0-7 technique for our D-line. Weatherd presses but this time on strong side beside Barnett. We play zone and and AJ picks up WR in motion. 8 yard gain, but Randolph hits WR right as he catches the ball.

4th play

2 down front. Stack six in box. Our D-line is in a 7-0 technique counting from strong side, with AJ playing gap control on strong side, 2 OLBs on weak side with one filling the A gap and the other taking on the RB, and Maggit lined up as a LB on weak side who runs towards the C gap when play starts. We bring the house with 6 guys. Force and incomplete pass.

2nd Drive

1st play:

3 down front with WDE standing up. Look to be in a 5-1-3-5 technique counting from strong side. Nickel coverage. Nothing fancy here. Zone coverage, and everyone plays their gaps well. 5 yard gain by RB.

2nd play:

4 down front 5-1-3-7 technique counting from strong side. Nickel coverage again. Run zone. Barnett blows play up on QB keeper. JRM and AJ both go towards the RB and the motion WR, with AJ playing gap control to force motion WR inside if he gets the toss or to make the tackle near the sidelines and JRM going through the C gap on the motion WR to make play in the backfield, but was forced out of the play by the FB/TE. Barnett does a great job staying home and making the play against the pull guard. Coleman also reads play well and should have made the play 3-4 yards past Barnett in QB got loose. Our secondary is doing a great job staying home and playing their gaps in the zone. Everyone was in position needed to make a play if Barnett didn't blow the play up.

3rd play:

We run what looks to be a 4-3 defense with Maggit at WLB this time. JRM comes up to the line as the SLB. The formation switches due to a motion WR and Maggit becomes SLB and picks up the motion WR. JRM takes the flat and RB and AJ covers the TE. We only rush four, and our secondary looks to be in a cover 2. Our D-line plays a 7-1-3-5 technique counting from what becomes the strong side when the WR goes in motion. Coverage was excellent, and balls slips out of QB's hand to end drive

In 7 plays I saw with my inexperienced eyes 5 out of 7 plays where we either had a DE standing up, had only 3 DL on the field, or had only 2 DL on field. Our defense was aggressive, and for us to be small at DT our boys contained the middle very well to open this game. Also, some of these fronts may be 5-1-5 fronts etc. It's really hard to tell exactly where the DT is lining up in respect to the center. We seam to be playing a lot of zone coverages with our LBs picking up TEs, motion WRs, and RBs.

Some other points I want to make. First, Weatherd is a very, very good pass rusher. I expect to see him and Maggit on the field some together in the coming games. Second, Barnett is a stud. He's a very smart player, and he owned his man most the night as a true freshman. He also is very athletic. The guy for multiple plays stood up in almost a LEO DE position and rushed the line. This kid is 270 LBs and he posses the ability to contain the edge and pass rush standing up or playing down on the line. Third, Danny O. and J. Williams deserve a lot of praise. I think those two guys bring so much energy to this very young DL. Hopefully Sals will be back soon, and Mixon and Sawyers continue to get better because we are going to need depth come the OK game. Fourth, I love Jancek's approach to mix formations up. We have some very good LBs, and we are a little thin up front. I think it's a good idea to run some 2 and 3 DL fronts and try to create some pass rush with Weatherd, AJ, JRM, and Maggit. Lastly, I love the energy we played with last night. I can live with mistakes and getting burned on some plays when we are trying to bring pressure and create excitement for our team. Really liked the energy and pride our defense played with last night. A+++ effort by all involved.

My concerns :no::

Depth. It may really hurt us come the GA game with their rushing attack. Jancek will have to be creative to keep our guys fresh or we are going to run out of gas against great running teams right now. It just is what it is.

Man coverage in cover 1 situations. Cam is lock down, but we have to have some other guys step up soon. Coleman can not get beat like he did last night for a TD. It wasn't a huge ordeal by that point in the game, but a senior can't make those mistakes. We need him to lock down the nickel position very badly.

Anyways, I like what I'm seeing so far. Much improvement, and all Vol fans should be smilling right now. Go vols :rock:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
couldve summed it up too " we have major work to do in the middle of the dline when sec play starts ", but your post works too.

I'll get this discussion going with my little knowledge of football, as I'm still learning fronts and gap responsibilities for each player within a specific front. Hopefully guys like Vol8188, etc will come in and make this even more clear, or fix my short comings. I'll break down the first 2 defensive drives play by play just to illustrate the changes Jancek has made play calling wise. Let's get going :rock:

1st Drive:

1st play:

Barnett stands in a three down nickel front with AJ and JRM at LB. JRM takes #33 the TE/FB and AJ seams to be in a QB spy. Randolph comes up in the box and takes on RB responsibility. The play goes for 12 yards, and #11 goes uncovered. With AJ committing to the QB the WR is left open and Coleman gets illegally blocked in the back by his WR which allowed #11 to get the 1st down. 10 yard penalty. 1st and 12.

2nd play:

3 down front again with Weatherd up the A gap on Veeren's side (strong side). Weatherd blows the play up. Barnett does an outstanding job holding the edge by keeping his man on his inside shoulder. This is also the 1st time I've seen us run a 3-3-5 defense. JRM, AJ, and Weatherd were the LBs. D-line played a 5-0-5 technique. Vereen could be in a 7 technique but hard to tell from camera angle. FS came up to pick up slot WR, but the coverage was very loose and we have a S (Randolph I believe) in a deep Cover 1 past the 1st down marker.

3rd play:

3 down front again. Offense is in trips formation. 5-0-7 technique for our D-line. Weatherd presses but this time on strong side beside Barnett. We play zone and and AJ picks up WR in motion. 8 yard gain, but Randolph hits WR right as he catches the ball.

4th play

2 down front. Stack six in box. Our D-line is in a 7-0 technique counting from strong side, with AJ playing gap control on strong side, 2 OLBs on weak side with one filling the A gap and the other taking on the RB, and Maggit lined up as a LB on weak side who runs towards the C gap when play starts. We bring the house with 6 guys. Force and incomplete pass.

2nd Drive

1st play:

3 down front with WDE standing up. Look to be in a 5-1-3-5 technique counting from strong side. Nickel coverage. Nothing fancy here. Zone coverage, and everyone plays their gaps well. 5 yard gain by RB.

2nd play:

4 down front 5-1-3-7 technique counting from strong side. Nickel coverage again. Run zone. Barnett blows play up on QB keeper. JRM and AJ both go towards the RB and the motion WR, with AJ playing gap control to force motion WR inside if he gets the toss or to make the tackle near the sidelines and JRM going through the C gap on the motion WR to make play in the backfield, but was forced out of the play by the FB/TE. Barnett does a great job staying home and making the play against the pull guard. Coleman also reads play well and should have made the play 3-4 yards past Barnett in QB got loose. Our secondary is doing a great job staying home and playing their gaps in the zone. Everyone was in position needed to make a play if Barnett didn't blow the play up.

3rd play:

We run what looks to be a 4-3 defense with Maggit at WLB this time. JRM comes up to the line as the SLB. The formation switches due to a motion WR and Maggit becomes SLB and picks up the motion WR. JRM takes the flat and RB and AJ covers the TE. We only rush four, and our secondary looks to be in a cover 2. Our D-line plays a 7-1-3-5 technique counting from what becomes the strong side when the WR goes in motion. Coverage was excellent, and balls slips out of QB's hand to end drive

In 7 plays I saw with my inexperienced eyes 5 out of 7 plays where we either had a DE standing up, had only 3 DL on the field, or had only 2 DL on field. Our defense was aggressive, and for us to be small at DT our boys contained the middle very well to open this game. Also, some of these fronts may be 5-1-5 fronts etc. It's really hard to tell exactly where the DT is lining up in respect to the center. We seam to be playing a lot of zone coverages with our LBs picking up TEs, motion WRs, and RBs.

Some other points I want to make. First, Weatherd is a very, very good pass rusher. I expect to see him and Maggit on the field some together in the coming games. Second, Barnett is a stud. He's a very smart player, and he owned his man most the night as a true freshman. He also is very athletic. The guy for multiple plays stood up in almost a LEO DE position and rushed the line. This kid is 270 LBs and he posses the ability to contain the edge and pass rush standing up or playing down on the line. Third, Danny O. and J. Williams deserve a lot of praise. I think those two guys bring so much energy to this very young DL. Hopefully Sals will be back soon, and Mixon and Sawyers continue to get better because we are going to need depth come the OK game. Fourth, I love Jancek's approach to mix formations up. We have some very good LBs, and we are a little thin up front. I think it's a good idea to run some 2 and 3 DL fronts and try to create some pass rush with Weatherd, AJ, JRM, and Maggit. Lastly, I love the energy we played with last night. I can live with mistakes and getting burned on some plays when we are trying to bring pressure and create excitement for our team. Really liked the energy and pride our defense played with last night. A+++ effort by all involved.

My concerns :no::

Depth. It may really hurt us come the GA game with their rushing attack. Jancek will have to be creative to keep our guys fresh or we are going to run out of gas against great running teams right now. It just is what it is.

Man coverage in cover 1 situations. Cam is lock down, but we have to have some other guys step up soon. Coleman can not get beat like he did last night for a TD. It wasn't a huge ordeal by that point in the game, but a senior can't make those mistakes. We need him to lock down the nickel position very badly.

Anyways, I like what I'm seeing so far. Much improvement, and all Vol fans should be smilling right now. Go vols :rock:

Need some blue font

VN Store

Back