Concerns after second viewing - not NegaVoling

VolMax

Great blowout win over a team that has a history of competing with the big boys. We didn't know what to expect out of our guys and Chuckie was a question mark coming off the knee injury.

It was great to see the stadium rocking - love the Third Down for What - and the final score was better than most of us had hoped. Worley managed the game well and appears to be at least serviceable at QB. Glad he finally kept the ball a time or two on the read. The D was awesome...flying around, hitting hard, and wrapping up! I think Medley will be fine at kicker - that first FG miss can be written off to nerves, and Darr punted very well.

The biggest concern to me was that our average starting field position in the first half was outside our 42 (3 times in Aggie territory) and we only scored 17 points. We had 2 three and outs and 3 five and outs in our 9 first half drives. Either Butch and Co made some great halftime adjustments or we just wore them down in the second half (both of which are great)...but we very easily could (should) have put them away in the first half.

The other big issue is the run game. Lane and Hurd combined for 70 yards on 22 carries for a 3.2 average. We averaged 2.8 as a team to the Aggies' 4.2...and our D absolutely shut them down so how'd that happen?

Hopefully we will see lots of improvement from game 1 to 2. If not, game 3 will bring us back down to earth quickly.

Glad we finally have a game to talk about and thankful for a big win and the direction we appear to be headed. GBO!

Reactions: 8 people
They loaded the box all night to force Worley to beat them, which he did, which is why Lane and Hurd also didn't have super stellar nights. This will get better, I'm not worried.

Reactions: 11 people
Maybe we were trying a few new things on offense during the 3 & outs. I tried to look on the bright side but know what you mean. They were playing off the receivers and giving us the 6-7 yd pass the whole game.

Does anyone know if the game will air again this week? Forgot to hit record before leaving!

I'm not as concerned about the run game as I first was. They kept the box loaded all game. They wanted us to pass, which I don't understand wih out talent at WR, but whatever. I guess they were banking on Worley not being as effective as he was.

There were two things that really stood out to me last night. The first, as mentioned, was that Worley actually kept the ball on the option plays a few times. I believe he ran it three times and threw it a few off of option plays. Secondly there were two plays on defense where a USU player got into open field. Last year both of these would have been touchdowns, but last night both players were caught and downed. As far as the running game, it will improve as the OL improves IMO.

(Jeff Foxworthy voice) IF YOU START A THREAD THAT HAS THE WORDS "not NegaVoling"....youmightbeanegavol. :yess:

Reactions: 4 people
NegaVol? Ha! I'm an old Sunshine Pumper... I'm as excited as I've been since I last drove to Atlanta to watch us in the SECCG!

Reactions: 2 people
NegaVol? Ha! I'm an old Sunshine Pumper... I'm as excited as I've been since I last drove to Atlanta to watch us in the SECCG!

"I'm a vegetarian!"....I exclaim...as I tear into a porterhouse.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not as concerned about the run game as I first was. They kept the box loaded all game. They wanted us to pass, which I don't understand wih out talent at WR, but whatever. I guess they were banking on Worley not being as effective as he was.

I agree with you but our RBs are going to have to learn to hit the holes a little harder and faster against some of the teams we will be facing in the coming weeks. I know Lane is a patient runner and will turn a potential one yard game into a 6-7 yard shimmy, but our O line is not built to blow holes this season so they will have to do a bit more exploding and less reading because the holes are going to close up fast.

another point of improvement we need to make to move the chains--- slants, slants, and more slants.... we have 3-4 WRs who are 6'3'' or better and should be able to grab a 4 yard slant and fall forward for 5-6..... I saw maybe one last night. We need to maximize what we've got at WR.....

The other big issue is the run game. Lane and Hurd combined for 70 yards on 22 carries for a 3.2 average.

This is the symptom.

The problem was the offensive line. They weren't good.

That was the only glaring negative I saw last night. But overall was really impressed with our guys. There's a good, positive synergy in this group.

another point of improvement we need to make to move the chains--- slants, slants, and more slants.... we have 3-4 WRs who are 6'3'' or better and should be able to grab a 4 yard slant and fall forward for 5-6..... I saw maybe one last night. We need to maximize what we've got at WR.....

Agree with your point, but is it just possible that the TN coaching staff didn't want to reveal all of their offensive wrinkles to future opponents. JMO

Reactions: 1 person
Its the first game of the year. We blew out a team many thought we would lose to. Your concerns are silly. NegaVol.

On several of those 3 and outs the coaches seemed to be running some different things like a practice. When your up 17 and the defense is pitching a shutout you can play around. My only regret is not letting Peterman run the full play book. Hope Worley stays healthy this year!

I tried watching the replay on the ESPN app and it's basically unwatchable. They added like 2+ hours of ads and you can't move around in the video to watch specific pieces like you used to be able to do with ESPN3.

Great blowout win over a team that has a history of competing with the big boys. We didn't know what to expect out of our guys and Chuckie was a question mark coming off the knee injury.

It was great to see the stadium rocking - love the Third Down for What - and the final score was better than most of us had hoped. Worley managed the game well and appears to be at least serviceable at QB. Glad he finally kept the ball a time or two on the read. The D was awesome...flying around, hitting hard, and wrapping up! I think Medley will be fine at kicker - that first FG miss can be written off to nerves, and Darr punted very well.

The biggest concern to me was that our average starting field position in the first half was outside our 42 (3 times in Aggie territory) and we only scored 17 points. We had 2 three and outs and 3 five and outs in our 9 first half drives. Either Butch and Co made some great halftime adjustments or we just wore them down in the second half (both of which are great)...but we very easily could (should) have put them away in the first half.

The other big issue is the run game. Lane and Hurd combined for 70 yards on 22 carries for a 3.2 average. We averaged 2.8 as a team to the Aggies' 4.2...and our D absolutely shut them down so how'd that happen?

Hopefully we will see lots of improvement from game 1 to 2. If not, game 3 will bring us back down to earth quickly.

Glad we finally have a game to talk about and thankful for a big win and the direction we appear to be headed. GBO!

Have a few shots

I tried watching the replay on the ESPN app and it's basically unwatchable. They added like 2+ hours of ads and you can't move around in the video to watch specific pieces like you used to be able to do with ESPN3.
Agreed was horrible earlier when I tried

VN Store

Back