O-line/D-line

VOLFan65

As great as our skill positions looked last night, both on offense and on defense, the only thing I am worried about is our line play. Yes, the D-line played GREAT last night (which isn't a shock). Obviously, we are way more athletic than we have been in a long time, and we are able to actually get some pressure on the QB. My only worry, is with that athleticism, we are also much smaller, and with all do respect to USU, I wonder if this smaller and more athletic line will be able to do the same thing they did tonight against the likes of UGA ,Bama, UF, ect. Will they be able to handle the point of attack with the like of a much stronger and more experienced and more talented o-lines?

The o-line, plain and simply needs to get better. The fact that we couldn't run the ball more efficiently against USU (again, with all do respect), makes me worry when we get into the heat of the schedule. Will every D-lineman we go against look like Nick Fairley when they play against us? Will they be able to give Worley the amount of time he needs to get the ball to those playmakers? I'm confident in our coaches that they will fix the ticky-tac penalties early. One thing I am super encouraged about is the way crowder was snapping the football. I don't remember too many bad snaps from him . That goes a long way with this type of offense which is so based on timing. A bad snap can RUIN the timing of a play, if not cause a straight up turnover.

Nonetheless, we all saw a much faster, electrifying team last night. One we haven't seen in a long time, especially on D. Butch is righting this ship, and it's only a matter of time. And to think these players are only going to get better as the season goes on is encouraging. IMHO, I think we go 7-5 and if our O-line improves it's play drastically, and if our D-line can handle the point of attack against some of those power schools, and we can keep our players healthy,I don't think 8-4 is out of the question. Gonna be a good season boys! GO VOLS!

Reactions: 2 people
I agree sir and we haven't attained the depth we need on the O-line (really, D-line also). And it is a must for us to be injury free the entire season (which is a lot to expect). Coach Jones and staff know there is still a lot of work to be done.
GO VOLS!

Did anyone else notice the LARGE amount of really high snaps from the center last night?..

Reactions: 4 people
2 or 3 players commented that Utah State played an unusual front on D and that gave us some problems. I agree that our OL had a long way to go but perhaps that was at least part of the problem last night. Plus, they are inexperienced and the only way go cure that is with (obviously) experience

Reactions: 1 person
Did anyone else notice the LARGE amount of really high snaps from the center last night?..

I think Mrs. Peterman noticed one and griped about it in the "We missed an opportunity to test NP" thread she started...

Dine suprised me but yeah, still have to see how they look against better competition.

Oline is a bigger concern. Worried about blitzes and running game. Would like to see Worley get rid of the ball more quickly. Think some sacks could have been avoided.

All that said, we should expect to see continuous improvement from both groups as the season progresses.

Everyone says the biggest improvement is from first to second game so look out Arky St. I just want to give the Sooners fits in game 3! We are young so give them time and the sky is the limit. Several teams looked substandard this weekend but it is very early to assess.

We left 10-17 points on the field last night so time will tell how much success this team can attain. GO VOLS!!!!

I watched most of the game and I was most impressed with your back 7 on D. The D-line played better than I expected given the fact that they are all new starters but when USU got down 14-0, they had to ditch the run and it gave your D-line the opportunity to pin their collective ears back and go after Keaton.
Looking ahead, as some here have pointed out, your run game really needs to improve and it all starts up front. If you go into games vs your tougher opponents one dimensional you will struggle to move the ball consistently.
I thought Worley played with poise and he throws a nice ball. He will need to be protected if the running game doesn't carry it's share of the load.

I am really looking forward to seeing the Vols in Norman.

I find it hard to imagine that Weisman is not one of the 5 best.
Also, it's hard to run block when your not firing out of a 3 point stance. O-line needs a lot of work and we kind of expected that.

Also, if Saulsbury comes back you get some size back. If Sawyers and Sauls can rotate and provide valuable minutes it will go a long way. Barnett and Hendrix offer more size at end than they've had in a while.

Last edited:
O line concern-- our RBs are going to need to look at the tape today/tomorrow and see that the line is only going to be able to open a crease for a sec and they must BURST through and not wait and shuffle. Downhill running every snap or they will be tackled for a loss. Facts are facts at this point.

Our OT's were avergae last night.. That migh be kind. The talent level goes up once conference play starts

Seriously? With all DO respect? I thought it was a typo, but you wrote it twice: It's /due respect...//

As great as our skill positions looked last night, both on offense and on defense, the only thing I am worried about is our line play. Yes, the D-line played GREAT last night (which isn't a shock). Obviously, we are way more athletic than we have been in a long time, and we are able to actually get some pressure on the QB. My only worry, is with that athleticism, we are also much smaller, and with all do respect to USU, I wonder if this smaller and more athletic line will be able to do the same thing they did tonight against the likes of UGA ,Bama, UF, ect. Will they be able to handle the point of attack with the like of a much stronger and more experienced and more talented o-lines?

The o-line, plain and simply needs to get better. The fact that we couldn't run the ball more efficiently against USU (again, with all do respect), makes me worry when we get into the heat of the schedule. Will every D-lineman we go against look like Nick Fairley when they play against us? Will they be able to give Worley the amount of time he needs to get the ball to those playmakers? I'm confident in our coaches that they will fix the ticky-tac penalties early. One thing I am super encouraged about is the way crowder was snapping the football. I don't remember too many bad snaps from him . That goes a long way with this type of offense which is so based on timing. A bad snap can RUIN the timing of a play, if not cause a straight up turnover.

Nonetheless, we all saw a much faster, electrifying team last night. One we haven't seen in a long time, especially on D. Butch is righting this ship, and it's only a matter of time. And to think these players are only going to get better as the season goes on is encouraging. IMHO, I think we go 7-5 and if our O-line improves it's play drastically, and if our D-line can handle the point of attack against some of those power schools, and we can keep our players healthy,I don't think 8-4 is out of the question. Gonna be a good season boys! GO VOLS!

I think credit should be given where it is due. USU has a three year history of holding teams to their lowest season rushing totals. This is the only part that surprised me last night, but in hindsight probably shouldn't have.

Also, it's hard to run block when your not firing out of a 3 point stance. O-line needs a lot of work and we kind of expected that.

Also, if Saulsbury comes back you get some size back. If Sawyers and Sauls can rotate and provide valuable minutes it will go a long way. Barnett and Hendrix offer more size at end than they've had in a while.

much on run plays. That is one issue.

I agree with this. One of the reasons, I'm not 100% on board with this offensive style, but hey I'm kind of old school when it comes to offense. I do know this though, teams don't really beat Alabama playing downhill football that often. The teams that beat them are the Cam Newtons, Johnny Manziels, The Oklahomas of the world. Teams that spread the field, and have mobile qbs. The key to beating Bama type teams is to spread them out, and freaking have a stud front seven.

And, we had a 1,000 yrd rusher last year in the same scheme....

OL was slightly below average IMO. They really need to grow up fast

Think it demonstrated that have a complete new OL is more difficult than some predicted. Most concerned with push and handling the speed rush

I'd grade the dline at 87% and the Oline at 67% from the 1st game, run game needs big improvement.

I watched most of the game and I was most impressed with your back 7 on D. The D-line played better than I expected given the fact that they are all new starters but when USU got down 14-0, they had to ditch the run and it gave your D-line the opportunity to pin their collective ears back and go after Keaton.
Looking ahead, as some here have pointed out, your run game really needs to improve and it all starts up front. If you go into games vs your tougher opponents one dimensional you will struggle to move the ball consistently.
I thought Worley played with poise and he throws a nice ball. He will need to be protected if the running game doesn't carry it's share of the load.

I am really looking forward to seeing the Vols in Norman.

Hey Owen!...I'll be in section 233 for the game!...will I be surrounded by orange or menstrual? :)

Enjoy the win. There may be times to be concerned this year, but today isn't one of them. I think the team played close to a perfect game for a first game. Well coached, well executed win.

There were alot of mistakes on the O line ..but it is to be expected with a young group in game one .

As far as running the ball ...well there are two things to consider . USt loaded the box ...they always had one more in the box . This is pointed out by the announcers and you could count if you dont believe them . They also attacked the tackle box from outside the tackle box ..bringing even more bodies to the point of attack . They sold out on the run and dared Worley to beat them ...which is smart considering the passing struggles of last season

The second point I would like to make is that much of our running game will be tied to the passing game . The bubble screens , dumps to the TE , dumps to the RBs ...this is the west coast running game and it produced results . You will see as much of this as you will see more traditional runs. So you have to take it all in and quantify before judging the running game.

Reactions: 3 people
There were alot of mistakes on the O line ..but it is to be expected with a young group in game one .

As far as running the ball ...well there are two things to consider . USt loaded the box ...they always had one more in the box . This is pointed out by the announcers and you could count if you dont believe them . They also attacked the tackle box from outside the tackle box ..bringing even more bodies to the point of attack . They sold out on the run and dared Worley to beat them ...which is smart considering the passing struggles of last season

The second point I would like to make is that much of our running game will be tied to the passing game . The bubble screens , dumps to the TE , dumps to the RBs ...this is the west coast running game and it produced results . You will see as much of this as you will see more traditional runs. So you have to take it all in and quantify before judging the running game.

Agree. For example Hurds TD goes in the books as a pass but that's the equivalent to a West Coast running play.

VN Store

Back