Incredible Blocking by Our Skill Players Against USU

Rifleman

I haven't seen this pointed out elsewhere so just wanted to start a thread on the incredible improvement in blocking on the perimeter. This truly makes us a very dangerous team.

Croom and North were unbelievable, sometimes occupying two defenders, and Hurd had a great block on that jet sweep Pig scored on.

Some video evidence below:

Croom springs Pearson:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF_lp2G_NgQ[/youtube]

North springs Smith:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqN0d0Hmdg[/youtube]

Pig springs Pig:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1n8ZX_X2vU[/youtube]

This is not something we saw a lot of during the Dooley era, obviously.

Kudos to Coach Gillespie and Azzanni.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Hurd made a nice block for Pig on his TD

The USU secondary will see Hurd in their nightmares for a while.

On the screen he scored on, the poor safety #46 read the play from the start and I am not even sure he touched Hurd. Hurd put an Allen Iverson level crossover on that guy, then set up another guy for the same thing. :rock:

This team has discipline. They all know their assignments and none of them tried to do anything more then what they needed to for us to win. That's what we need. Everyone do their part and as one unit we will win. We could spend all day pointing out all the great details of this game. Weatherd on defense had an incredible game. He was used multiple ways, on multiple fronts, and he preformed unbelievably for a guy who got here a month ago. Danny O had a phenomenal game. He contained the middle very well and he played with great technique when we went to three down fronts with Weatherd and Vereen pass rushing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Hurd gave up a sack on a terrible block on first series. Hurd will probably be the one having nightmares from that play. He was thrown like a rag doll. We still have a LONG way to go. But this game was very promising.

Hurd gave up a sack on a terrible block on first series. Hurd will probably be the one having nightmares from that play. He was thrown like a rag doll. We still have a LONG way to go. But this game was very promising.

He's a true freshman. He's going to make mistakes, but I doubt he'll lose any sleep over it. Way to be a Debbie Downer though

Reactions: 5 people
Agreed on the improved WR blocking, it was evident all night and will be huge for us when our RBs can get to the 2nd level to break a long run.

Reactions: 2 people
Blocking and tackling was vastly improved from a year ago,
It was fun to watch Tennessee football once again!
Go Vols

Reactions: 1 person

That attempted block by Hurd was perhaps the weakest effort (or so it appeared) at blocking that I've seen for awhile....it was as you said: Hurd was thrown around like a Rag Doll?????

Great thread. I noticed Pig's block on the Smith catch and the Hurd block on the Pig TD. Didn't catch the Croom block on the VP play til you pointed it out. The blocks are things of beauty.

Edit: Josh Smith had a nice block on the VP play too.

Last edited:
That attempted block by Hurd was perhaps the weakest effort (or so it appeared) at blocking that I've seen for awhile....it was as you said: Hurd was thrown around like a Rag Doll?????

I suspect that will be fodder for a few jokes after being replayed on the big screen in the training center.

I also expect the coaches will quickly take advantage of the teaching opportunity that it presents and that Hurd will use their lesson as an incentive to not repeat the mistake.

Great thread. I noticed Pig's block on the Smith catch and the Hurd block on the Pig TD. Didn't catch the Croom block on the VP play til you pointed it out. The blocks are things of beauty.

Edit: Josh Smith had a nice block on the VP play too.

Shades of the old days. I remember Swain laying a Cal safety out 35 yards down field on one of those swing passes to Meacham we used to punish people with. That's how you play winning football.

Good teams have good blocking receivers and backs. Watch teams like auburn and Oregon block on screens, it seems those plays always get 8-15 yards for them

VN Store

Back