Tennessee/Arky St. line

A little respect there. But I am more worried about this game than USU. This team is returning most of their roster from last year. USU lost a lot.

A little respect there. But I am more worried about this game than USU. This team is returning most of their roster from last year. USU lost a lot.

True, but they weren't exactly world beaters last year. Memphis gave them a 31-7 smackdown last year (and Memphis is beyond horrible). They also squeaked by Georgia State 35-33.

As long as our Vols come into next weeks game with the same edge they had last night we will be fine. Great to see the team look like that. Go Vols!

Reactions: 3 people
30+ point victory!

Too much competition still for playing time. Too many young guys in the lineup to already have become unmotivated.

Reactions: 1 person
The best thing for Tennessee is that the Red Puppies have questions in the offensive and defensive lines and questionable depth.

I wonder what the line would have been had we played them last night instead of USU? I think we have a far easier time with them than USU.I say 42-0 Vols.

Butch will have them ready aftrer a nice win! Don't take any team for granted! Vols will cover the point spread! Vols 31-10!

It's the quiet ones you have to worry about. I haven't heard a peep out of them. We will handle it easily as long as we are paying attention tho. The young guys are going to have to be "in the moment".

Well...played 12 true freshmen. They are quick and play tough...but, I guess I really don't see a problem. :blink:
GO VOLS!

Line's valid for now, but Arkansas State's breaking in a new QB, lost three of top four rushers, two of top three receivers, etc. They're up there with UL-Lafayette for best defense in the Sun Belt, but I'm expecting another great showing from ours.

As long as our Vols come into next weeks game with the same edge they had last night we will be fine. Great to see the team look like that. Go Vols!

That's the issue though. With extremely young teams like ours, sometimes you don't know what you're going to get from week to week. I think this Saturday we will find out what kind of leadership we have in the locker room and will be a test for Butch and co. to have the team match last night's intensity.

That's the issue though. With extremely young teams like ours, sometimes you don't know what you're going to get from week to week. I think this Saturday we will find out what kind of leadership we have in the locker room and will be a test for Butch and co. to have the team match last night's intensity.

Intensity and leadership appear to be the least of CBJ's worries. O-line, run game, and inexperience are the things I worry about with team 118

I think Arky St is a better squad than USU. IMO. Their overall talent level and depth is superior to USU. Arky St had a big blow out in their opener.

Expect a much more physical battle. I think the Vols win somewhere between 12-15 points in the end.

They can't afford Worley throwing balls in the dirt... Or over shooting WR by 6-8 yards who are wide ass open...

Arkansas State needed 24 in the second half to get past a Montana State team that trailed by six at the half. Meh.

I think Arky St is a better squad than USU. IMO. Their overall talent level and depth is superior to USU. Arky St had a big blow out in their opener.

Expect a much more physical battle. I think the Vols win somewhere between 12-15 points in the end.

They can't afford Worley throwing balls in the dirt... Or over shooting WR by 6-8 yards who are wide ass open...

I know what you're saying. We hit two of those deep balls and Medley connects on that first attempt and we win 55-7. USU was not very good, and I think I was guilty of giving them too much credit going in.

After the last 5 years, I don't see this team taking any game for granted. butch has these guys ready to play fundamentally sound football, and it showed last. Best fundamentals I've seen from the Vols since the last team that played in the SECC.

You guys amaze me. USU is a quality team. No they aren't SEC elite caliber, but they are a well coached team. The Vols just played really good, fundamentally sound football last night. This game was more of an indicator of just how far this team has come. If we stay healthy this year, this team isn't going to be a give me on anyone's schedule.

Reactions: 3 people
Line's valid for now, but Arkansas State's breaking in a new QB, lost three of top four rushers, two of top three receivers, etc. They're up there with UL-Lafayette for best defense in the Sun Belt, but I'm expecting another great showing from ours.

Tailor made prep game headed into OU if the Vols take care of business. Biggest improvement between games 1 and 2 and especially for a young team still on the steep part of their exponential learning curve.

O needs another challenge and ASU should give them one. D needs some rest, confidence, and an opportunity to get some young guys seasoned. ASU should give the Vols that too.

I know what you're saying. We hit two of those deep balls and Medley connects on that first attempt and we win 55-7. USU was not very good, and I think I was guilty of giving them too much credit going in.

Probably. But it was still a good showing. The Vols were well developed, well coached, and well prepared. They made some mistakes and had some missed assignments but made up for it with passion.

USU fans were crowing about how their "pace" would cause UT problems. Just the opposite was true. That's something that shouldn't be overlooked. USU is a team that has challenged the "big boys" in part because of their O pace... they couldn't hang with UT's pace. UT's D never looked tired the whole game though several guys got a lot of reps.

This was a very good and important win. Don't make another misjudgment by discounting it.

While Ark St has managed to stay competitive in their league, and go to bowl games, coaching turnover is one thing that may catch up with them...and they've had some pretty good coaches.
This year, they will have their 5th HC in 5 years.

Steve Roberts left 2010-11
Hugh Freeze, goes to Ole Miss after.1.year.
Gus Malzhan goes to Auburn aftet 1 year.
Bryan Harsin goes to Boise.St after 1 year.
Balke Anderson present.

The high level of coaches they've hired has helped them stay competitive during so much coaching/system turnover. The big question for them is, can Blake Anderson have the same success as coaches good enough to move on to Big time gigs?

Last edited:
Not worried about this being a trap game I feel like the short week will help this young team stay focused. Vols cover easy

VN Store

Back