Confusion on Challenge Rule

cbbowlingmd

Doctor of Orange
Hey guys, help me understand something: In the 3rd quarter last night, Ethan Wolf was tackled and there was some question if there was a fumble at the end of the play. Now, at this point there was no challenge. UT in hurry up comes up to the line, snaps the ball, and gets called for a false start.

AFTER the false start, the refs went back and reviewed the prior play to see if Wolf was down before the ball came out. They determined that he was down.

But when the game continued, we were still assessed a 5 yard penalty for the false start call.

So, if they call a penalty on a play, can they really then go back and review a play from the snap before and then penalize you on the following play at the same time? Seems like they are ruling on 2 plays at once, no?

Reactions: 2 people
A false start is a pre-snap penalty. There was never another snap, technically.

Just to add to the question, I thought that once the ball was snapped a previous play could not be challenged?

EDIT: Thanks for clearing my question up quickly. LOL

If we didn't jump they couldn't have reviewed.

Which is kind of dumb if you think about it. IMO, a penalty that results from something having to do with the next play ought to be treated the same as a snap on the next play. There was ample time before the false start to buzz the referee.

Also, a couple of reviews took way too much time. There ought to be a 60 second clock that starts as soon as the ref announces the review. If you can't figure it out in 60 seconds, there's probably not enough evidence to overturn the call on the field.

Reactions: 2 people
Which is kind of dumb if you think about it. IMO, a penalty that results from something having to do with the next play ought to be treated the same as a snap on the next play. There was ample time before the false start to buzz the referee.

Also, a couple of reviews took way too much time. There ought to be a 60 second clock that starts as soon as the ref announces the review. If you can't figure it out in 60 seconds, there's probably not enough evidence to overturn the call on the field.

I agree on both parts.

Should either be no review, or no penalty. The challenge backs it up to before the penalty.

VN Store

Back