The Running Game

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
If there is one thing that we probably need to work on next week, it would be to some how get our running backs a chance make plays. It was encouraging to see Lane and Hurd moving the piles a few times for 3-4 yard gains, but there were times where if they could have been able to get to the hole just a step faster, there were big plays to be made.

Reactions: 1 person
well keep in mind that they stacked the box to stop the run. Their game-plan was to make Worley beat them with his arm and he did.

Reactions: 5 people
We need to work on making the right call in the read option. If Worley was a runner he goes for over a hundred their ends were collapsing in on every run Worley had an open field on a lot of those plays if he doesn't hand off. The running backs also needed to note this and take the runs outside.

Reactions: 5 people
Running game needs improvement. Our running plays develop so slowly from the shotgun just like they did under Chaney. We've got to get the power in our power-spread.

Reactions: 2 people
well keep in mind that they stacked the box to stop the run. Their game-plan was to make Worley beat them with his arm and he did.

You may be right but it seemed our line only made two holes for Lane and one for Hurd. Both can run but can't do it all on their own. as others have said, expect the most improvement for newbies between their first and second games. Next Saturday should tell us a lot.

Reactions: 3 people
This is a new O line so it's going to take a few games to get confidence and game speed. I wish the Oklahoma game wasn't the 3rd game. But it is what it is maybe that game will help with the UF game and we boot stomp UF lol.

I agree, this is my one real concern at the moment. Butch was saying after the game that the biggest jump for a team is between week 1 and 2 so let's hope the offensive line looks much better next week.

I did t see this at all. I saw six blue hats in the box for most of the game.

It would also help the run game if we stopped telegraphing run plays with our formation. On run plays, the RB would line up a little deeper than the QB. On pass plays, the RB and QB would be the same depth.

Reactions: 3 people
It would also help the run game if we stopped telegraphing run plays with our formation. On run plays, the RB would line up a little deeper than the QB. On pass plays, the RB and QB would be the same depth.

Truth my 12 yr old soon called pass or run before the snap 90% of time.. Not good.

IMO this off will only be able to run once a running qb is added. Formations don't allow consistent rb plays when qb isn't running. BTW I'm not saying bring Dobbs in.

Last edited:
Truth my 12 yr old soon called pass or run before the snap 90% of the time.. Not good.

IMO this off will only be able to run once a running qb is added. Formations don't allow consistent rb plays when qb isn't running. BTW I'm not saying bring Dobbs in.

That's truth, my date for the game could also. She watches football but just enough to know what a penalty is...

This. I think we were trying to save a lot of the play book for OK and SEC play. Don't want to show to much against USU. We really didn't run many other run plays outside of the read option. We showed a lot more of the passing game.

If they can figure out how to get 10 defenders out of the box they will be fine. That's what it must look like to the new O line at times.

I did t see this at all. I saw six blue hats in the box for most of the game.

Looked like that to me, too. Did see the ends crashing nearly every play, so again, Worley keeping it a few more times might have loosened things up.

the line play was not up to anyones expectations, but I thought the play calling was equally bad... there was no flow to it at all...we started the game with 3 straight passes,then followed that with 3 straight runs the next possession... and consistently left us behind the chains with 2nd and 3rd and 10's... I know sometimes you have to take what the D gives you,but hopefully the line play and play calling will drastically improve the coming weeks...

the line play was not up to anyones expectations, but I thought the play calling was equally bad... there was no flow to it at all...we started the game with 3 straight passes,then followed that with 3 straight runs the next possession... and consistently left us behind the chains with 2nd and 3rd and 10's... I know sometimes you have to take what the D gives you,but hopefully the line play and play calling will drastically improve the coming weeks...

I agree with this the play calling seemed disjointed at times. Also agree it was predictable at times too just from formations. My list of work ons for the offense are below.

Blocking
Run play calling
Dropped passes

I'm not concerned with the running game at all after one game.

We really didn't run the ball all that much and used a true freshman much more than we did our actual starter.

I have a feeling it was by design.

It gave our freshman some quality time running the ball in his very FIRST college game. We didn't have to use Lane up in an easy win. It gave our O-line time to gel as a unit. Mostly....we didn't need to run the ball. Worley had nearly 300 yds passing and three touchdowns.

I'll worry about the run game when the time is right to worry about it. Today is not the time IMO.

Was a good solid win against a team that some were saying could beat us.

I'm not concerned with the running game at all after one game.

We really didn't run the ball all that much and used a true freshman much more than we did our actual starter.

I have a feeling it was by design.

It gave our freshman some quality time running the ball in his very FIRST college game. We didn't have to use Lane up in an easy win. It gave our O-line time to gel as a unit. Mostly....we didn't need to run the ball. Worley had nearly 300 yds passing and three touchdowns.

I'll worry about the run game when the time is right to worry about it. Today is not the time IMO.

Was a good solid win against a team that some were saying could beat us.

I feel like Butch really wanted to focus on getting the young guys a lot of experience in this game and probably next week as well. We will probably see a lot more of Lane when we go to Oklahoma.

I feel like Butch really wanted to focus on getting the young guys a lot of experience in this game and probably next week as well. We will probably see a lot more of Lane when we go to Oklahoma.

My thoughts too.

I like Hurd and can't wait for him to really settle in, but I hope you're right. Lane never gets enough carries to get in a groove. He's averaged more than 5 a carry for 2 years now, but that could easily go over 6 with enough carries. There's usually a sweet spot for each back: enough carries and you max out production, too many and you get diminishing returns.

I agree with this the play calling seemed disjointed at times. Also agree it was predictable at times too just from formations. My list of work ons for the offense are below.

Blocking
Run play calling
Dropped passes

I agree. The oline has a lot of work to do before we get into sec play. Running backs had no holes, and had to fight for every yard. I do think the offense would be more effective running with a lead blocker, a good FB would help. Running the read option with a qb that is not a threat to run is almost useless. worley kept it once for an 8-9 yard gain(he was a little quicker than I thought). I would like to see him run more just to keep the defense honest. They hone in on the rb every play. But I expect all to get better, some say your biggest improvement is from week 1 to week 2-more so with a younger team. I'm excited and love CBJ and the D. The D is better than expected.

VN Store

Back