The ultra-hurry-up offense?

armchair

Not sure I like it. Thought we were trying to play too fast at times in the first half--almost rushing to get a play off and not always completely organized. We're not Manning and the Broncos. And it will be risky against SEC teams with much better defenses. You go three and out against SEC teams in two minutes and your defense is getting no rest. It's like Blackledge said yesterday: You go hurry up you'd better make first downs or you are screwing your defense. We smartly seemed to slow things down a touch in the second half.

I'm not a fan either. I like going to the line and keeping the defense stuck in a personnel grouping. I like varying the pace and going hurry up for a play or two. I hate going fast just for the sake of going fast; especially when it's 3rd and long.

Reactions: 1 person
It seemed to work. I liked it. Hurry up the offense and quick throws to get our playmakers the ball

Reactions: 2 people
Not sure I like it. Thought we were trying to play too fast at times in the first half--almost rushing to get a play off and not always completely organized. We're not Manning and the Broncos. And it will be risky against SEC teams with much better defenses. You go three and out against SEC teams in two minutes and your defense is getting no rest. It's like Blackledge said yesterday: You go hurry up you'd better make first downs or you are screwing your defense. We smartly seemed to slow things down a touch in the second half.

That was the one thing that made me smile more than anything. They saw that we were in danger of tiring our defense out since our offense wasn't clicking and they turned down the volume a notch. The adjustments made between that and the variety of play calling was great to see.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not a fan either. I like going to the line and keeping the defense stuck in a personnel grouping. I like varying the pace and going hurry up for a play or two. I hate going fast just for the sake of going fast; especially when it's 3rd and long.

Agreed.

Fine with it just wish the play calling was better at times
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Do not mind it I just think the timing is still a little off. Probably just first game jitters.

I thought the playcalling was good. I liked the gameplan. Coach Jake obviously has a much better comfort level with the talent he has to work with this season than last, but I also believe that he and Butch are going to keep a lot off the table until at least Oklahoma, But the screens and wheel routes are ideal with the speed and size we have with the receivers, and with Hurd coming out of the backfield.

The only real negative was the overall play of the OL, including too many procedure penalties. I thought they played stronger as the game went on, which is a credit to Coach Lawson and his S&C program. But is is cause for concern as the quality of the DLs picks up. USU is a quality defense, but not UF and UGA quality. We will need a decent running game by the time we get to OU.

Our formations look much more complex and exotic this year. Ironically, out of those formations we ran some really simple stuff.

The passing game in particular looked great.

Can't get over how much different the formations and spacing looks this year. This coaching staff sure knows how to adapt.

Maybe I'm just not used to seeing it as much and I don't fully understand the inner workings of the read option. However I'm still not a big fan of our offensive identity. The read option offense, at least OUR version of it, the plays seem like they take forever to develop and for our running backs seems counter productive to their skill sets. Hurd seems to me like a downhill, one cut and go type of running back. The read option is more finesse-based and seems to shackle an RB like Hurd.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe I'm just not used to seeing it as much and I don't fully understand the inner workings of the read option. However I'm still not a big fan of our offensive identity. The read option offense, at least OUR version of it, seems like it takes forever to develop and for our running backs seems counter productive to their skill sets. Hurd seems to me like a downhill, one cut and go type of running back. The read option is more finesse-based and seems to shackle an RB like Hurd.

It looks much different to me this year than it did last year.

Our spacing is better and we're more complex with the formations. Tempo is also much better.

You can be a power running team out of the spread. Just because you're reading a DE and handing it off out of the shotgun doesn't mean you can't shove it down a team's throat when you need to. The running game will come along.

I'm so impressed with the passing game.

Fine with it just wish the play calling was better at times
Posted via VolNation Mobile

It was the first game of the season.....they weren't gonna throw the whole playbook at USU. Use some common sense.

I think we kept it vanilla today because we could. Significant improvements from game 1 to 2 should be expected.

VN Store

Back