General Neyland's Grave

Maybe we need to start our own Joe Kane day like In Mobile, Bammmer. During Mardi Gra they build a stage over the grave of Joe Kane and have bands play, drink beer and act stupidly in an old cemetery. Tried it one time, very creepy. Think Coach Neyland would appreciate it? Kinda doubt it? Maybe we could just park SUVs and party wagons in the parking lot across from the stadium and BBQ and drink and act stupidly, Oh wait.....

This is weird..but then I remember eating lunch with my brothers and Dad on Jack Daniels grave in Lynchburg lamenting the fact we didn't get a free sample of JD..

Weird, but as long as it's kept discreet and respectful (national military cemetery after all) it's cool.

I've got no problem with it as long as:

*there is no desecration to the gravesite/bottles or cans left
*it is done out of respect
*it makes certain folks feel a special connection to Tennessee Football Tradition
etc.

Haven't you folks ever been to Lexington, VA to Stonewall Jackson's Grave...or Robert E. Lee's @ VMI? Arlington Cemetery to the Tomb of The Unknown? Special places to show respect...if you ask me.

Reactions: 2 people
"This is Robert Neyland's grave," said UT alumnus Clint Cunningham. "On the eve before the first game to start the season, we've started coming to his grave as a good omen, to salute him, and to ask for his blessing for a great season."

Cunningham started the ritual a few years ago after reading General Neyland's biography.

Past few seasons and good omen haven't exactly gone together lately. Hope it finally pays off this year.

The article states that they started this a few years ago and that they go out there for good omens for the start of the season. Maybe someone should tell them to look at our record and it isn't working.

Reactions: 2 people
1. A dead man can not bring you luck.
2. If you have been doing this for years it has obviously not been working.
3. It's kinda creepy bro.

I think that going to see his grave site once would be cool. But to go every season before the season starts is just weird imo...

Reactions: 1 person
They need to get that lady from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil to put some mojo on the Vols.

VN Store

Back