Tempo?

Sudden Impact

Who we are is what We do with what We have!
Last year this is all we heard about, this year not so much.

Abandoned or just hidden? CBJ laid the foundation for it last year, but there has been no mention of it this year.

Will we see it Sunday Night?

Reactions: 1 person
I was just talking about this. I heard Jalen Hurd mention that he loves our tempo and I realized we have barely heard about it as well. Hopefully we're blazing fast and it surprises teams.

I heard on Sport Animal earlier that CBJ will pick up the tempo even more this year and is wanting to run something like 80 plays per game.

If our QB play isn't good, it'll mean quick 3 and outs and a severely winded defense.

Worley was beginning to manage games better before his injury but probably was still not up to point that CBJ wants in tempo....

Should be interesting....Watching Texas A&M hand it to USCe. Never saw that coming...

I hope Worley was beginning to manage games better before his injury but probably was still not up to point that CBJ wants in tempo....

Should be interesting....Watching Texas A&M hand it to USCe. Never saw that coming...

I'm surprised too. Didn't expect the new QB at TAMU to be this good and didn't expect SC defense to be this bad.

I was wondering about that this week. We heard it all the time last year but haven't really heard much about it at all this year. I definitely think we'll be better conditioned than most teams we play and that we'll also run an a pretty up-tempo offense. Can't wait.

Interesting thing about tempo. Logan, UT is about 3500 feet higher in elevation than K'ville. I wonder if that will make a difference?

Interesting thing about tempo. Logan, UT is about 3500 feet higher in elevation than K'ville. I wonder if that will make a difference?

Yeah but it's not about all about gassing the other team. It helps keep defensive substitutions and harder in making defensive calls also. I think talent wins this game anyway not pace.

OP is right. Don't hear a lot @ tempo anymore. But, I watched last years USC game for the first time the other night. Had not seen it since I was at the game last year.

Commentators were noting in the 1st half how our tempo was wearing on the SC defense. Those boys were suckin' wind. Remember when just ran off guard untouched and walked in for a 7yd TD? It was that drive. Reminded me a little of what Auburn did to us here in 09' in Chizik's first year. Our D was gassed and they kicked us for it.

Our staff was unable to get the all the changes implemented to run up tempo last year. This year, it's kinda fallin' off the media radar. Kinda like Colton Jumper, LOL! But, I am sure we are going to see it happen beginning Sunday night! I'm pumped.

We should have the running game and TEs to keep from having a ton quick 3&outs ; assuming Worley has at least a half decent day.

The biggest thing will be our ability to stretch the field when they try to jam the box instead of just barreling up the middle over and over . This game will be on Jones.

Physically it's hard to make up the 30 lb avg difference between the teams on the line of scrimmage with just air.

IOW, just play our game our tempo at our elevation, execute and it will not be a factor.

Last edited:
Last year this is all we heard about, this year not so much.

Abandoned or just hidden? CBJ laid the foundation for it last year, but there has been no mention of it this year.

Will we see it Sunday Night?

Last time we saw it was at the end of the '98 season. I believe it is still there, somewhat near Phoenix. That said, I believe we'll be seeing Neyland Sunday night, which is in Knoxville.

Oh, wait, you said "Tempo" my bad.

I think they aren't talking about tempo because while they want to go quicker they learned last year players may not be ready for it. I doubt it's hugely noticeable until maybe the end of the season.

As long as we don't line up, then have all the players look over to the sideline to get the call. I hate that crap. I understand why they do it, but that does not lessen my disdain.:snoring:

Also, if the D has been practicing against it, they should be in better shape. More teams run it and the ones that dont really struggle against it and get "gased".

Yeah but it's not about all about gassing the other team. It helps keep defensive substitutions and harder in making defensive calls also. I think talent wins this game anyway not pace.

This. Up-tempo is nice but hopefully we can move the chains and keep defenses on the field this year. USC east's D was gassed halfway thru the first half last night.

The QB already broke Johnny Football's passing marks in his first game. Perhaps there is something about this system. I saw a lot of open receivers. Open receivers make it really easy on a QB.

i didn't expect USC defense to look so bad the whole game,i think it was that more than the up tempo,i have no idea what UTs tempo is going to be this year,we will find out come Sunday

OP is right. Don't hear a lot @ tempo anymore. But, I watched last years USC game for the first time the other night. Had not seen it since I was at the game last year.

Commentators were noting in the 1st half how our tempo was wearing on the SC defense. Those boys were suckin' wind. Remember when just ran off guard untouched and walked in for a 7yd TD? It was that drive. Reminded me a little of what Auburn did to us here in 09' in Chizik's first year. Our D was gassed and they kicked us for it.

I rewatched it again yesterday to get psyched up for the season (like I needed the help). That drive you're referring to was the best our offense looked all season, there was a long pass play for a first down then we hammered them with 3-4 quick runs for the TD. My hunch is that's what Butch and company want us to look like, and my hope is that in year 2 we make it happen.

VN Store

Back