ESPN May Not Hate Tennessee? Huh?

UtahVol

This little gem was posted by Will Harris and Phil Steele in their betting guide:

"Nov. 29: Tennessee Volunteers (-2) at Vanderbilt Commodores

Tennessee will be a far better team than Vanderbilt in 2014, and we expect a much higher price on this matchup when it rolls around. The Vols aren't quite ready to contend for an SEC crown, but they are past the point of competitively priced games with a rival that's beaten them just 12 percent of the time since Herbert Hoover took office."

SIAP.

Reactions: 22 people
I saw somewhere where Phil Steele had said that this would be the last rebuilding year for Butch Jones and we would be competing for the SEC next year. Closet Vols fan?

Reactions: 5 people
This little gem was posted by Will Harris and Phil Steele in their betting guide:

"Nov. 29: Tennessee Volunteers (-2) at Vanderbilt Commodores

Tennessee will be a far better team than Vanderbilt in 2014, and we expect a much higher price on this matchup when it rolls around. The Vols aren't quite ready to contend for an SEC crown, but they are past the point of competitively priced games with a rival that's beaten them just 12 percent of the time since Herbert Hoover took office."

SIAP.

Admit it - you found that on the Onion not ESPN. :)

Reactions: 6 people
Please see Vollygirl's thread where the ESPN geniuses concluded....

"Vols, Rebels among five most likely to open season with a non-conference loss"

"53.6 percent chance the Vols lose"

Oh, they hate UT alright.

Reactions: 3 people
....and they are exactly right, it will not be three years in a row...we are on the way back up, and Vandy will return to being the Vandy we all know from years past.

Reactions: 2 people
It's a joke but it's also some what of a truth.
Very rarely do you find any "positive" things about UT except for Butch recently.

It just seems like the teams ESPN likes are the teams that...uh...win. When we start winning with our crazy fanbase and tradition I have a feeling people will get tired about hearing them talk about UT.

Reactions: 1 person
I saw somewhere where Phil Steele had said that this would be the last rebuilding year for Butch Jones and we would be competing for the SEC next year. Closet Vols fan?

I really believe this. When we do get back to the top of the SEC Butch and his coaches will be recruiting like we never seen before. He is doing a great job recruiting now. To the SEC get ready a lot of pay back is coming your way. :rock:

Phil Steel has always been a vols fan and I have been picking up his publications for years because he is always saying positives about the Vols. The rest of that operation can go to heck ... it's no joke. The only teams EasSPN supports are the ones that pay their paychecks. Problem with that is that they have so much influence on who the crowned champion is every year. You basically have to pay off EasSPN to be fan now, and then you have to pay their ransom to be in the championship mix. Like the mofia. It's a racket. Worst part about it is most of the time they have NO IDEA what they are talking about. They are wrong A LOT. Ask Spurrier, he has the stats on that one. So they make it up as they go and they make it up in favor of schools that pay them off. They have no business in sports really. Try to be a fan without paying their ransom tho. It's not possible.

Do people really think ESPN hates us? Or is this just a long running joke?

One reason was a year or two after the Peyton Heisman episode, there was a commercial that pretty well made Vol fans out to be hillbillies. I vaguely remember it, something about a fat woman and a pig.

Do people really think ESPN hates us? Or is this just a long running joke?

Back in September of 1999 UT suspended four players including Leonard Scott and Keyon Whiteside just before the Memphis game due to a hit piece on ESPN.com alleging that tutors, most notably Victoria Gray, had written papers for football players. A member of our English dept. named Linda Bensel-Myers contributed heavily to their story as did a former UT player named Tory Edge who claimed that he was quoted out of context in the story. We were the hot program in the SEC at the time and many Tennessee fans still bitter over the campaign that ESPN had mounted for Charles Woodson for the Heisman took it personally. The story that ran in ESPN.com was largely discredited and Linda Bensel-Myers left the state...but it did some damage to our reputation and hurt our momentum coming off a National Championship.

Reactions: 2 people
They played a role in Manning loosing the Heisman so for the F THEM! Clearly he was the best players in college that year and it wasn't close

This is straight fact. DISNEY/ABC/ESPN wanted to 'create' a race so played up the catch or two that made Woodson a 2 way player. If I remember correctly, Manning had better stats than previous years Heisman winner. After we beat USC, his stock went 'down' on their tv board because we did not in by enough... oops sorry..stop the 17 yr rant :hi:

VN Store

Back