is speed>experience?

speed or speriance

• Total voters

DD4ME

Zoo Keeper
As we approach the opener and optimism is highest I was thinking about what is new this year. Aside from the obvious, a second year in Butch's system. As I see it we swapped experience (starts) for speed. For the most part posters seem optimistic with that. In truth since it is a second year in the system maybe the experience didn't count anyway? It seems debatable. My question is with all other things being equal in CFB and the SEC in particular which is more important, Speed or Experience? Ability or skill is kind of a gray area as it relates to speed so I am not trying to muddy the waters by including that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weezer
Speed certainly can cover up for some deficiencies in other areas. I think it will help bridge the experience gap until experience can be gained.

Speedy experience is preferable.

Reactions: 4 people
One without the other isn't very good, but to say which is better is difficult. If you don't know what you're doing, you're going to be slowed down. If you know what you're doing, but aren't fast enough to do it, you're going to miss. Frankly there's been too much of not fast enough and don't know what you're doing the last few years. At some point, these kids should have both.

In short, I'll take speed. Time will get them experience, but experience has a hard time getting more speed.

Reactions: 3 people
I guess if you had to pick one extreme or the other I'd probably rather have a highly experience team in a good scheme than a really quick inexperienced one in the same scheme. Especially if said scheme is at all complicated.

"Speed, if you don't have it you lose". "Thanks Captain Obvious."

There are slower teams like Boise that have done relatively well by playing very experienced players.

Also I'm not sure but is Stanford known to have tons of speed?

Long term that last sentence makes a very good point.

Yeah. I mean, we know they're going to take their lumps this year with all the inexperience, but it should pay dividends in a month or two and even more after that.

Yeah. I mean, we know they're going to take their lumps this year with all the inexperience, but it should pay dividends in a month or two and even more after that.

I guess that was the heart of my question though. I get the vibe that some believe the new speed will actually overcome inexperience. At least as it relates to results this year versus last. I see your answer more as a statment that you may have a similar outcome initially but a higher ceiling overall. That's more how I see it.

If speed is the bigger factor what is the other factor for a team like OR not winning the whole enchilada. They certainly have one of the fastest teams in all of CFB.

Can your 5th year senior who runs a 4.6 catch my true frosh who runs a 4.3?

I think the VN answer is largely predicated on which we have more of. Just my 2 cents. That said we tried it the slow and inexperienced way (experience with coach scheme) so I'm excited to try it the other way.

Imagine taking a Desert Eagle to the firing range for the first time and trying to hit a target at 50'. Swap that for a 22 cal. target pistol you have some experience with.

Speed without accuracy or technique is just speed. How many, many times over the last few years have we seen a defender fly right by a ball carrier by chosing the wrong pursuit angle? How many times did we see defensive linemen spinning around like chickens with their heads cut off because they didn't know what to do under Suckserri's coaching? It's not just speed or experience, it's knowing what to do.

I also think in the trenches especially the SEC that size (slow) and experience trump speed. I believe that's why OR hasn't won it all. They go for faster lines.

It depends on who you're playing. Vs Utah State I'll take experience. Vs Oregon I'll take speed.

VN Store

Back