Talent: Why we win on Sunday, and why we win BIG

Face

VolNation Con Man
I needed a break at work so I created a simple statistical analysis of USU’s roster talent level based on 3 different models. Any mathematicians out there can analyze as you wish, but here it is.
The recruiting class rankings for USU according to Rivals are as follows:
2014 – 106
2013 – 105
2012 – 117
2011 – 78
The average USU recruiting class for that time interval is 101.5
The % (ignoring the effect of JUCOs) of players on the roster corresponding with each recruiting year are:
2014 – 28.8%
2013 – 26.0%
2012 – 25.0%
2011 – 20.2%
The weighted average recruiting rank by % of class on roster is 102.8.
I made one more weighted average calculation. Assuming half the players starting are SRs, 25% are JRs, 15% are SOs, and 10% are FRs, the w/a recruiting class is 95th.
The average of all calculations is 99.8.

So there you have it. We win Sunday and we win BIG because we are that much better than them in overall talent levels.

Yeah, Chuckie might be good, but he’s not that good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
cat-meme-i-cannot-brain-today-dumb.jpg

Seriously, nice work, OP.

Reactions: 3 people
Do the same thing for Oaklands men's basketball team for that time span when they beat Pearl and the UT men's team. I'd love to hear how bad we were suppose to beat them.

Chuckie is a beast...but one man won't beat us on Sunday. He has been practicing in a non-contact jersey all spring and fall. I will be interesting to see how he responds after that first big hit?

Reactions: 1 person
Can you go back and run this same analysis on the Wyoming football team from a few years ago as well as ky during brays tenure and candy over the past two years to test this hypothesis and then repost your results? None of those teams had an on the fringe heisman candidate either...

We're not supposed to brag about losing to good teams. Remember?

The last time we played Wisconsin (I think) was in the Outback bowl and that was a win. Berry almost killed their QB if I remember correctly.

Can you go back and run this same analysis on the Wyoming football team from a few years ago as well as ky during brays tenure and candy over the past two years to test this hypothesis and then repost your results? None of those teams had an on the fringe heisman candidate either...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 2 people
Nice work OP.

I did that same mental exercise with the Oregon game last year and on paper we were supposed to compete.

recruiting is a good indicator of the "favorite" but that's about it

VN Store

Back