What's wrong with.......

fade route

Just being honest
Middle Tennessee? Let me explain and I welcome all feedback. I grew up in Donelson on the east side of Nashville from 1973 to 1994 and of course, I've always been a die-hard Vol. I never considered cheering for another team, ever. However, I distinctly remember many of my friends choosing to cheer for Bama and have been extremely loyal to them even now from what I read on FB. These are friends that were born and raised in the Nashville area but came to not only love Bama, but actually despise UT. Growing up I didn't think it was all that unusual til I moved first to Texas to complete my graduate work, then moved here in Arkansas for the last 17 years. Everyone here that is from here and lives here loves the Razorbacks without exception and there just doesn't seem to be any love for any other SEC team unless you moved here from another state (like me). Maybe it's my orange colored lenses, but I just can't fathom how people who were born and raised in Nashville, with no other ties to the state of Alabama can just make up their mind to love our most hated rival. Now, I know Memphis is unique case because of where they are located in proximity to Ole Miss and Arkansas. But Nashville? What's the deal?

So my question is for you guys who live in other states, is this unusual? Or is it common in other states for people who were born in the state you live in to become fans of other schools, even rivals?

Random thoughts--

-Birmingham is a quicker drive for many in and around mid tn
-bama has been winning. Fewer bandwagon UT fans and more bandwagon bama fans.
-many alumni in the area. Local private school kids may qualify for bama and not UT. Then you have a new fan and if parents weren't die hard Vols, they are now bama fans. I have multiple friends that have or recently had kids at bama. They went to MBA and St Cecelia and qualified for Ole Miss and Alabama, but not UT.
-growing population with people from everywhere
-everybody likes a winner.
-kids @ 15 and under don't recall UT being good or fun to watch, so they weren't fans and wonder why there is loyalty to them.

Reactions: 2 people
Chattanooga is infested with Bammers. I know a lot of people I grew up with, here in Chatt, that are exactly like you describe. I don't get it.

Reactions: 3 people
I lived in Donelson too as a youngster. Thankfully we survived the Crimson Spring.

Yeah, Alabama is a short drive south of Nashville.

I've always thought the Saturday in October should be played at LP Field with both teams wearing home jerseys. That would look sweet on TV and in person. Especially half orange/half crimson fans at LP Field.

It would automatically be the best neutral field rivalry game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I grew up lawrenceburg and the town had mostly vol fans but a whole bunch of bammers running around. TSIO was a pretty interesting time of year.haha But l'burg aint far from the bama line so i guess its not surprising that there are as many bama fans as there are there. But i live in south carolina now and in all honesty i think i see more Vol fans than anything else there.

Reactions: 1 person
I grew up lawrenceburg and the town had most vol fans but a whole bunch of bammers running around. TSIO was a pretty interesting time of year.haha But l'burg aint far from the bama line so i guess its not surprising that there are as many bama fans as there are there. But i live in south carolina now and in all honesty i think i see more Vol fans than anything else there.

A ton of UT alumni in SC.

I'm not too worried about it. While it may be disturbing, this is common in large cities. As Nashville continues to grow, there will be less of a concentration of Vol fans but more Vol fans in absolute numbers. And once the Big Orange gets back to where it has historically been, a lot of the bandwagon fans will put their orange back on. I've lived in Louisville where there are many Purdue, Indiana, and Notre Dame fans to go along with UL and UK. I've lived in Chicago where there were more Notre Dame and Michigan fans than Northwestern or Illinois. And I've lived in Dallas/Fort Worth where there were a lot from everywhere and not just Texas schools either. A big presence by both Oklahoma, in particular, and Oklahoma State as well as more than I cared to see of LSU. I suspect the same is true in Atlanta and other cities as large as or larger than Nashville. I'm sure Georgia and Georgia Tech fans think there are too many Vols in Atlanta. And with Butch's fence extending toward North Carolina and Georgia, there ought to be many more in the future! GBO!!

I don't know if I've ever revealed so much about myself at VN before. I feel so exposed and vulnerable.

Reactions: 4 people
It's no different than in any other state. Here in Texas half the state hates UT. Plenty of Bama haters in Bama. You can't have everyone right there with ya. It's just human nature to want to pick sides.

I don't know if I've ever revealed so much about myself at VN before. I feel so exposed and vulnerable.

costanzanaked.jpg

Yeah, Alabama is a short drive south of Nashville.

I've always thought the Saturday in October should be played at LP Field with both teams wearing home jerseys. That would look sweet on TV and in person. Especially half orange/half crimson fans at LP Field.

It would automatically be the best neutral field rivalry game.

No

Some people just HAVE to be different. If 90% are UT fans there will be some to choose someone else just to be different & apparently most are smart enough not to root for Vandy! There's also A LOT of bummer natives that leave Hellabama because even they realize the place is a dead end hole. They move to better places to live like Tennessee.

Kids ain't being raised right, the first time ala comes outta their mouth , send 'em to their room and don't let 'em out 'til they can recite the words to ''Rocky Top". Early education is critical. Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be bammers .

Reactions: 4 people
I live in Dekalb Co AL and have lived just a few away in Dade Co GA where I currently work. My dad grew up in NC before moving to Dade. When he became more into college ball (his dad liked pro) he decided immediately he hated Bama and evrn Ga cuz of their fans. He chose UT and I followed him.
But that doesn't answer your question I know. My younger bro has been pulling for GA last 2 years. When I asked him why he said "UT either blows out or gets blown out its not fun watching". I said yeah you came at a bad time for UT. But I've always been the type to be differnt. Even tho most people in Bama dont like pro those who do like the Falcons or Titans. Not me.
I know all fanbases are like this but the reason I see a butt load more Bama fans here (even across the line in GA) is cuz there are so freaking many Bama fans that don't really care that much. Not just women. Men who wears the hat and celebrates their NC win but hasn't watxhed half the games and couldn't tell you the starting QB name. That is why you see so many around Chatt and Trenton. They may have a big fanbase but not the type of fans like me or you guys on the board. Then of course they're gone when the bad times are here.

Also (and I'm not sure how much it has to do with this) a ton of bammers are Titans fans.

Many Vol fans live in the Piedmont area of North Carolina. Love it that the SEC Network is in Charlotte.

Fade I am the exception, born and raised in Arkansas but I am a VFL and I hate the hogs more than I hate anything in this world.

VN Store

Back