For Those Of You Having Trouble With Charter Internet...

VolinDalton

You'll Be Smitten
Try switching your DNS to 8.8.4.4... It's Google's public domain DNS server. Apparently Charter is having a problem with their DNS and decided that it would be a good time to also turn off their customer service numbers...

Anyway, it worked for me. Thought I would pass it along.

Reactions: 3 people
Try switching your DNS to 8.8.4.4... It's Google's public domain DNS server. Apparently Charter is having a problem with their DNS and decided that it would be a good time to also turn off their customer service numbers...

Been pissing me off all night. I will try this. Thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I "switch my DNS to 8.8.4.4...."?

Reactions: 1 person
I had problems. Changed it to 8.8.8.8 before I saw this thread. It worked.

I couldn't get 8.8.8.8 to work for me. I used 4.4 on my laptop and iphone and it worked.

Glad Charter's keeping us in the loop, though... /s

This is probably their way of paying people back for the SEC Network meltdown.

I had problems. Changed it to 8.8.8.8 before I saw this thread. It worked.

Same for me, although first I went to an Open DNS number. But I found this site to check for the best DNS for our geographic location, and it confirmed that 8.8.4.4 is fastest: namebench - Open-source DNS Benchmark Utility - Google Project Hosting

It probably took 15 minutes to completely run, but it listed the top 10-15 sites. Charter was in a black box, lol.

I switched both Macs, the Windows 7 laptop, and both iPhones to the new number, and it's much, much faster.

Thumbs up to Charter for finally screwing up so badly that it forced me to find a whole new solution. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
I prefer dilithium crystals, but I'd take a flux capacitor. Too bad they're both on backlog on Amazon. :)

Awesome...didn't see this until just now. Good to know that when I am having home broadband trouble, I should check the football forum on my phone. Haha! Who knew?

Thank you.....i hate charter with a passion.....overpriced crap service but I have no choice

Thank you.....i hate charter with a passion.....overpriced crap service but I have no choice

My local charter branch has always treated me extremely well and I rarely ever have service issues. My internet was messy last night too but given how rarely it happens(for me, anyway), it wasn't that big of a deal. Every internet service has down times, and charter, in my experience, has by far the least(once every 4-5 months).

Guess I'm just lucky.

On top of the internet issues yesterday, my Charter cable started falling apart last night as well, with the picture getting pixilated on and off for a half hour or so. (It's not just VN that gets pixilated of a Saturday evening!) From other comments that I saw online yesterday, they were having multiple problems.

On the charter dns problem search, I was seeing complaints from all over the nation.

For where I live, Charter is still better than AT&T U-verse, which was just flat awful. But all the big providers (Comcast, etc.) are pretty much money-grubbing monopolistic thieves, as far as I'm concerned. Considering that they often have no competition in service areas, they get away with nearly-unregulated murder.

My local charter branch has always treated me extremely well and I rarely ever have service issues. My internet was messy last night too but given how rarely it happens(for me, anyway), it wasn't that big of a deal. Every internet service has down times, and charter, in my experience, has by far the least(once every 4-5 months).

Guess I'm just lucky.
I have problems at least once a week for extended periods of time then get poor customer service, and to top it off its about 40 more dollars than comcast who I had 0 problems with.

If I didn't live in an apartment that had a contract with charter, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

VN Store

Back