Fulmer to co-host weekly program with Doug Mathews

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
Beginning next week, former coach Phillip Fulmer will reunite with his old assistant coach, Doug Mathews, to co-host a weekly radio program (Former Vols coach Phillip Fulmer to co-host radio show). This program will be aired on "a network of stations either Thursday or Friday evenings or Saturday mornings. . . . The show will air on Saturdays in Nashville (104.5-FM), Cookeville (93.7-FM), Lewisburg (94.3-FM), Linden (101.3-FM) and Manchester (107.9-FM, 1320-AM). It will be on Thursdays in Clarksville (100.7-FM, 540-AM) and Fayetteville (105.5-FM) and Fridays in Lawrenceburg (98.3-FM)."

According to Mathews, "I want fans to walk away thinking 'I learned something' or 'I never thought of it like that.' We will get heavy into the why football coaches make the decisions they do, and look very closely at the players a coaching staff would need to prepare for on that week's opponent."

This article makes no reference to whether this new program will have any impact whatsoever on Doug Mathews' current solo program, "Big Orange Sunday."

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Predictably, the Nashville Tennessean, with its now limited coverage of UT athletics, made reference to the program's distribution only within the midstate market. The program, which will be entitled "Coach to Coach," will "air on 18 radio stations across Tennessee. In Knoxville, Coach To Coach will be broadcast every Saturday beginning Aug. 30, 2014 on Oldies WVLZ -1180 AM (formerly Tennessee Sports Radio)" (Coaches Phillip Fulmer and Doug Mathews Host New Show on 1180-AM - Tennessee Sports Radio). For more information, see the program's website: Coach To Coach Radio | Breaking Down Tennessee Football.

Reactions: 1 person
As a reflection of that newspaper's neglect of UT athletics, the Tennessean article failed to point out the broader distribution of this program. It will be broadcast by stations in Knoxville (1180-AM), Cookville, Bristol, Johnson City, and Kingsport, among others. See the Find your Station link, posted above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Hope it expands. That's one sports talk show I'd listen to. Although the public is too often only enthralled by non-sense and sensationalism like Travis and Finebaum.

And the Krispy Kreme and other jokes? Only UT fans would think the insults Bammers and Florida fans came up with should be thrown at a VFL and HOF coach who won a freaking Natty here. SMH.

Drunk Johnny jokes are at least somewhat amusing because they come from within and rivals never made them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I learned a couple of things about Coach Fulmer from the "Coach to Coach Overview" segment which surprised me and I imagine will surprise most potential listeners as well:

(1) He "went to Tennessee to play linebacker." He never thought about playing guard, tight end or "anything on offense."

(2) When he first went into coaching, he did so with the ultimate intention of attending law school.

I except this to be the best place to hear what's what with this years team each week. For classless jokes about the the best Tennessee coach in my lifetime, Volnation is still the spot.

Alas, this is all too true. At least the incessant sarcasm and cyber cannibalism are far less common on the Recruiting Forum.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back