what if Peyton.....

Vol4Lyfe

Had redshirted. Would he have led us to the NC game? Would he be an even bigger hero that he is now...or does that even matter? Just some thoughts.

It probably would have meant that Jerry Colquitt didn't blow out his knee on the 3rd play of his senior season. That was a damn shame.

Reactions: 2 people
If PM had redshirted, he likely would have gone to the NFL anyway. He had already graduated and returned for his final season. I don't think he would have returned "again."

Reactions: 1 person
Had redshirted. Would he have led us to the NC game? Would he be an even bigger hero that he is now...or does that even matter? Just some thoughts.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you remember the scramble in the Syracuse game that Tee made to get the 1st down before being pushed out of bounds? Well, that scramble put us in field goal position for Jeff Hall to make the game winning field goal.

Manning is not capable of a scramble like that. So, we have one loss for the season.

The storm in early September in Florida that caused U.C.L.A. & Miami to reschedule happened and U.C.L.A. beat Miami, thus putting us # 1 in the nation and headed to the S.E.C. Championship game then on the the National Championship game.
Had U.C.L.A. beaten Miami and Peyton did not make that Syrcuse scramble to give us the win, we would have a loss and would probably be # 4 in the nation and not considered for the Fiesta Bowl.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you remember the scramble in the Syracuse game that Tee made to get the 1st down before being pushed out of bounds? Well, that scramble put us in field goal position for Jeff Hall to make the game winning field goal.

Manning is not capable of a scramble like that. So, we have one loss for the season.

The storm in early September in Florida that caused U.C.L.A. & Miami to reschedule happened and U.C.L.A. beat Miami, thus putting us # 1 in the nation and headed to the S.E.C. Championship game then on the the National Championship game.
Had U.C.L.A. beaten Miami and Peyton did not make that Syrcuse scramble to give us the win, we would have a loss and would probably be # 4 in the nation and not considered for the Fiesta Bowl.
Ever consider that if Peyton Manning has been the QB that day, we'd have been ranked higher and would've had a better offense that didn't need to be bailed out by a QB scramble?

Reactions: 11 people
It probably would have meant that Jerry Colquitt didn't blow out his knee on the 3rd play of his senior season. That was a damn shame.

It would have meant that P.M. red shirted and when Jerry C. got hurt Todd Helton & Brandon Stewart got the playing time.
Stewert returns for his sophomore season and P.M. battles him for the starting job.
Stewart does not transfer to A & M. Thus A & M does NOT beat K. State in the 1998 Big 10 Championship game.
Thus K. State goes to the National Championship game and not us......................... Because Stewart was not at A & M to lead them to victory.

It would have meant that P.M. red shirted and when Jerry C. got hurt Todd Helton & Brandon Stewart got the playing time.
Stewert returns for his sophomore season and P.M. battles him for the starting job.
Stewart does not transfer to A & M. Thus A & M does NOT beat K. State in the 1998 Big 10 Championship game.
Thus K. State goes to the National Championship game and not us......................... Because Stewart was not at A & M to lead them to victory.

Would have been a match between TN vs KSU. We were ranked ahead of FSU.

A&M didn't need to beat anybody. We were the preseason #1 with Manning returning. :p

Ever consider that if Peyton Manning has been the QB that day, we'd have been ranked higher and would've had a better offense that didn't need to be bailed out by a QB scramble?

The reason Tee scrambled was because the receivers were all covered. Had P.M. had no receivers open, he would have been sacked and put us out of field goal position.
It was not the offense that caused Tee to scramble but it was Syracuse was in the perfect defense at the time for the offensive call that we made...... Everyone was covered. Price, Copeland, McCullough,

How could Peyton be a bigger hero to all of Vol Nation than he already is? IMO - impossible

the reason tee scrambled was because the receivers were all covered. Had p.m. Had no receivers open, he would have been sacked and put us out of field goal position.
It was not the offense that caused tee to scramble but it was syracuse was in the perfect defense at the time for the offensive call that we made...... Everyone was covered. Price, copeland, mccullough,

smh

If PM had redshirted, he likely would have gone to the NFL anyway. He had already graduated and returned for his final season. I don't think he would have returned "again."

There would have been no expectation at that time for a redshirt sophomore to go pro. There would still have been only one opp for return/go decision

With all seriousness, I don't want to go all "back to the future" or anything, but changing a past event may change all events to follow.

Considering Tennessee won the 1998 national title, I don't know if you'd really want to go changing other events

Reactions: 2 people
The reason Tee scrambled was because the receivers were all covered. Had P.M. had no receivers open, he would have been sacked and put us out of field goal position.
It was not the offense that caused Tee to scramble but it was Syracuse was in the perfect defense at the time for the offensive call that we made...... Everyone was covered. Price, Copeland, McCullough,

Do you think we would have ran the exact same plays and been in the exact same position that Tee was in? Come on now

Do you think we would have ran the exact same plays and been in the exact same position that Tee was in? Come on now

Peyton probably would have done better than 3-12 for 56 yards in first half.

The biggest mistake Fulmer ever made was not starting Jamal Lewis from start of 1997 season.

With all seriousness, I don't want to go all "back to the future" or anything, but changing a past event may change all events to follow.

Considering Tennessee won the 1998 national title, I don't know if you'd really want to go changing other events

Very true. A lot of things have to fall into place for a season like that to happen. I watched the 98 Tn/FLgame on SECN a couple of days ago. That personal foul call at the end was one of the most horrendous calls I've ever seen.

very true. A lot of things have to fall into place for a season like that to happen. I watched the 98 tn/flgame on secn a couple of days ago. That personal foul call at the end was one of the most horrendous calls i've ever seen.

'04 ?

VN Store

Back