X-Factor Tennessee: Jalen Hurd will be a home-run threat for the Vols

WilliamDuVOL

X-Factor Tennessee: Jalen Hurd will be a home-run threat for the Vols - Saturday Down South

I can't wait to see what this kid can do.

LaMarcus Coker. Jamal Lewis. James Stewart. Arian Foster.

These are the four running backs that have led their respective Tennessee teams in rushing as a true freshman.

On the 2014 roster, there’s perhaps another running back that could be included in this group by the end of this season – true freshman Jalen Hurd.

Head coach Butch Jones has made it clear to fans that they should expect a bowl appearance this season. A big part in the success of Tennessee will be their ability to pound the rock. Senior Marlin Lane is expected to get the starting nod, but Hurd will definitely see on-the-field action.

“[Jalen] has made a lot of progress. “I mean, he’s still making some mental assignments he has to clean up here as we’re starting to put in some game-plan stuff,” running backs coach Robert Gillespie said about the true freshman. “But he’s leaps and bounds from where he was from a conditioning standpoint in the spring.”

Although he’s a true freshman, Hurd’s virtually been a part of the Tennessee program for nearly a year. After his senior season was cut short by a shoulder injury, Hurd spent virtually every single weekend on campus during the first half of his senior season and then was an early enrollee in January.

With his height, Hurd is a taller running back than say a prototypical tailback, but his skill set is awfully similar to that of smaller backs. He’s a home-run kind of player who can break a big play anytime he touches the ball. His top end speed is unusually high for a back as big as he is.

As is the case for almost all true freshman running backs, there are questions about how he’ll hold up in his first season in the SEC, physically and mentally. However to his advantage, I believe the six-month head start he had on most other incoming freshman will pay off for him in that respect. He’s assimilated himself in the condition program and based off Gillespie’s comments, he’s made significant improvements physically.

The Vols were ninth in the SEC last season in rushing offense (188.4 yards/game) and that number needs to improve. If you look at the top half of the conference in rushing offense, you’ll see the likes of Auburn, Missouri, Alabama, LSU, South Carolina. To be successful in the SEC, running the football and running it well is an absolute must.

The starter, Marlin Lane, is very talented back in his own right and will see the bulk of the carries early on. But with Hurd’s impressive physical size and his ability to break a play open on every touch, the true freshman could easily be getting the starting reps before the end of the season.

Reactions: 2 people
Going to be a beast. He knows how to run low, with his eyes alert for holes opened by his line. Jalen has the ability to make the difference for us to win 7 in his freshmen year.

1397336706003-nasdc5-6etzoexdohjulhxgp8d-original.jpg

Reactions: 12 people
Everyone has us as 12th best in SEC. That doesn't translate to 7 wins. Unless everybody wrong.

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone has us as 12th best in SEC. That doesn't translate to 7 wins. Unless everybody wrong.

I'm not saying we are Auburn, but everyone had them picked to finish at the bottom of the SEC last year. So...I never go by those preseason picks/polls.

Reactions: 3 people
Hurd and Bates are the two freshmen I'm looking forward to watching the most this year. Hopefully Hurd will he the game changer that we think he can be. He may not be right away but I look for big things from him by the end of the year.

Hurd and Bates are the two freshmen I'm looking forward to watching the most this year. Hopefully Hurd will he the game changer that we think he can be. He may not be right away but I look for big things from him by the end of the year.

Literally the entire 2014 class I am looking forward to. Warton, Bates, Hurd, Pearson, Malone, etc. I havent been this excited since I bought Outback Bowl tickets back in 2007...

This guy hasn't played a down against a college team and y'all are predicting him to break UTs rushing records. Like Maggit, we don't even know if he will be durable enough. We also don't know how this line will play and if our passing game is capable of opening the running game. Slow down

Going to be a beast. He knows how to run low, with his eyes alert for holes opened by his line. Jalen has the ability to make the difference for us to win 7 in his freshmen year.

How can he be a beast??? I thought he was soft!!!!!!!!!

If Hurd can make the impact that Jamal Lewis made his freshman year, team 118 may indeed surprise some folks.

We'll get an idea of Hurds ability in a little over a week.
Go Vols

With your avatar for inspiration, Jalen can't miss.

True story here.

I was in miami all week, and I came home to a gift from my wife. This is really unexpected. She stays at home with the kids and I work to pay our bills so she doesn't have money just lying around usually. Last week though, I bought her a new car and Carmax offered us a crappy trade in price on our current car, and my wife declined and decided she could get more for it. I told her if she could get more, i would give her a finders fee of $300. She ended up getting exactly $1400 more for the car than what Carmax offered us. So I gave her the $300 and we used the rest to pay taxes on her new car.

So yeah, yesterday I came home from a work related trip to Miami, where I had been since Tuesday. She asked me what I thought it would be as I was opening it and I honestly had no clue cause random presents are ultra rare. Opened it and saw some UT car decals, and under them was an article of clothing. She got me a white jersey #1 for jalen Hurd.

Reactions: 4 people
Once heard a coach say "It`s hard to describe what IT is but you know it when you see it."
Hurd has IT as a running back.

VN Store

Back