It's all about real depth

Orangedogsrule

PULEEZE LET SMOKEY WIN!!!
in getting to the upper echelons. I call that 10 wins or more and competing for the SEC East and SEC CG. We don't have that yet. Get to a bowl and bUTch should have no trouble recruiting solid SEC caliber players given so many sites have us at 4 or 5 wins this year. Do that and with these next two classes, we will be a solid contender every year again. That's why I'm so interested to see what CBJ's depth chart will be this year and how these young men pan out. What's it gonna be?

Reactions: 1 person
The defense (defensive line in particular) needs depth. Plenty of teams make to that level with offensive quality, but not necessarily depth.---Auburn, FSU, etc

Yep..... Look what happen to FL last year. Several key injuries and no one to step up behind that starters.. That's how you go from winning 11 games to 4-8. UT is walking the same path without much depth on the lines and a young team.

Reactions: 2 people
in getting to the upper echelons. I call that 10 wins or more and competing for the SEC East and SEC CG. We don't have that yet. Get to a bowl and bUTch should have no trouble recruiting solid SEC caliber players given so many sites have us at 4 or 5 wins this year. Do that and with these next two classes, we will be a solid contender every year again. That's why I'm so interested to see what CBJ's depth chart will be this year and how these young men pan out. What's it gonna be?

That or else an abnormally low number of injuries like Mizzou had last fall. They didn't have quality depth... nor did they have injuries. The year before they had a bunch of critical injuries... should have been a 4-8 team if not for the incompetence of UT's coaching staff at that point.

One more class can put UT in contention if Jones is good at preparing young guys to play like Spurrier seems to be. He gets a lot of contributions out of young guys which has helped make up for a lack of quality depth. IOW's, he hasn't really come to a point of getting a bunch of 4/5* prospects in every class. He has however an ability to get those that he does get on the field sooner rather than later.

Jones is getting more of those guys than Spurrier has... if he can just get them on the field early too.

Reactions: 3 people
Depth is definitely a good thing and I don't think we're as bad off as some think. I dislike the guy as much as everyone else, but do most of you really believe Franklin had a huge talent pool at Vandy? Look what he got out of those s*** recruiting classes. That's a prime example that coaching does make a huge difference. "We're young", "we lack speed (bs)", "We lack depth", etc. is wearing thin.

Reactions: 4 people

I am interested to see how many players will red shirt. Just image in 4 years if we lose 33 players due to graduation from on class.
I would imagine that bUTch will spread it out, so that they don't all graduate in the same recruiting cycle.
Some are JUCO and will leave before 4 years. Some will declare for the draft early. Some will red shirt at some point along the way.

Depth is definitely a good thing and I don't think we're as bad off as some think. I dislike the guy as much as everyone else, but do most of you really believe Franklin had a huge talent pool at Vandy? Look what he got out of those s*** recruiting classes. That's a prime example that coaching does make a huge difference. "We're young", "we lack speed (bs)", "We lack depth", etc. is wearing thin.

OH REALLY??????:crazy::crazy::thud:

Spurrier has gotten production from the few elite recruits he's gotten during his climb with USCe. Jones may or may not be able to do that... but it definitely shortens the path to success if a coach can.

I don't care for Franklin but he's a very, very good coach. It is a little surprising that UT didn't make a run at him.

Spurrier has gotten production from the few elite recruits he's gotten during his climb with USCe. Jones may or may not be able to do that... but it definitely shortens the path to success if a coach can.

I don't care for Franklin but he's a very, very good coach. It is a little surprising that UT didn't make a run at him.

Idk if he'll ever win a NC at PSU, but he'll win a couple of conference titles in the least.

Idk if he'll ever win a NC at PSU, but he'll win a couple of conference titles in the least.

I don't know either. He'll get players there and develop them. He'll make it a legit 3 or 4 team conference again. His presence ups the competition level enough that if he doesn't win it he may still help one of the others elevate to a point of winning it.

I'm not much of a Big 10 fan but objectively they've needed an infusion of guys like Franklin and Andersen for awhile. They've been stuck in leather helmet football.

I don't know either. He'll get players there and develop them. He'll make it a legit 3 or 4 team conference again. His presence ups the competition level enough that if he doesn't win it he may still help one of the others elevate to a point of winning it.

I'm not much of a Big 10 fan but objectively they've needed an infusion of guys like Franklin and Andersen for awhile. They've been stuck in leather helmet football.

You think "Faint of Heart" Meyer is a little worried about him? Lol. I sure as hell do.

You think "Faint of Heart" Meyer is a little worried about him? Lol. I sure as hell do.

Absolutely no question.

There's actually enough talent in Pa to build a great program with just the home growns. Ohio has talent but it is split between several programs with connections there. If PSU is playing well, it is next to impossible to take anyone from Pa that they want... and used to be difficult to compete with them in NJ.

I don't care for Franklin but he's a very, very good coach. It is a little surprising that UT didn't make a run at him

I grudgingly agree that he is a good coach but I would never have wanted him as our coach. Do not like his personality and he would have been our ambassador for UT.

I am interested to see how many players will red shirt. Just image in 4 years if we lose 33 players due to graduation from on class.
I would imagine that bUTch will spread it out, so that they don't all graduate in the same recruiting cycle.
Some are JUCO and will leave before 4 years. Some will declare for the draft early. Some will red shirt at some point along the way.

If butch recruits like he's shown he can, we would reload.

no matter what you think it is true but getting better.

no matter what you think it is true but getting better.

So our recruiting hasn't been as good as Vandys? All I'm saying is it's time to quit blaming everything else and start judging the coaches if things don't turn around this year. The talent is there and that's true whether anyone believes that or not, unless we just completely whiffed on all of those classes. Top programs around the country wanted these same players we've had on the roster for a couple years now. It's time for results and what I mean by that is at least not getting blown out like a D2 school.

Absolutely no question.

There's actually enough talent in Pa to build a great program with just the home growns. Ohio has talent but it is split between several programs with connections there. If PSU is playing well, it is next to impossible to take anyone from Pa that they want... and used to be difficult to compete with them in NJ.

Yea, totally...

They are only the seventh most talent producing state in the country...

You have this habit of stating your opinion as fact when most of your opinion is forms in the canals of your buttocks.

I'm from PA and played my HS ball here so it was easy to know, but a quick google search would have worked for ya Sarge. :hi:

friendly jab,
love always

Mustafa

Last edited:
Everything in our program is about depth. It's extremely important to have depth and that's why we preach it every single day. It's the power of one, it's the power of the T, it's the power of depth.

oh, never mind

Spurrier has landed some major NFL talent the past 4-5 years...Gilmore, Lattimore, Clowney, Alshon Jeffery, Quarles, Joseph, Holloman, Davis, Taylor, Ellington, Swearinger, Hampton, Ingram etc etc, say what you will about rankings, he has put more into the NFL lately than most. And Franklin did squeeze more out of his talent than should have been expected, coaching is huge, maybe the most important aspect of success. Ask Mich State, Stanford, OK State, Baylor, UCLA, Oregon, Wiscy, etc etc, most of these teams never sniff top twenty in recruiting rankings but do you want to play them? And UT fans are fretting UT State that recruits in the 100's, go figure.

Yea, totally...

They are only the seventh most talent producing state in the country...

You have this habit of stating your opinion as fact when most of your opinion is forms in the canals of your buttocks.

I'm from PA and played my HS ball here so it was easy to know, but a quick google search would have worked for ya Sarge. :hi:

friendly jab,
love always

Mustafa
Did you just find a way to disagree with me by agreeing with me? If so... that was pretty creative.

Spurrier has landed some major NFL talent the past 4-5 years...Gilmore, Lattimore, Clowney, Alshon Jeffery, Quarles, Joseph, Holloman, Davis, Taylor, Ellington, Swearinger, Hampton, Ingram etc etc, say what you will about rankings, he has put more into the NFL lately than most. And Franklin did squeeze more out of his talent than should have been expected, coaching is huge, maybe the most important aspect of success. Ask Mich State, Stanford, OK State, Baylor, UCLA, Oregon, Wiscy, etc etc, most of these teams never sniff top twenty in recruiting rankings but do you want to play them? And UT fans are fretting UT State that recruits in the 100's, go figure.

Spurrier played most of those players as Fr or in their 2nd year at the latest. That's my point. If you get 4 years of production out of them, you don't need as many as if you get only 2.

VN Store

Back