My thoughts going in

Other_Guy

foolishFool
The potential is there for 8 wins and a COY award to Jones as well as the trenches keeping the Vols from a bowl appearance again. Heres my feeling on some key things.

I think the further into the season we get the more the (resurrected) passing game comes into play. The improvement of Worley is underrated IMHO. The best part about him and this new OL is that he didn't ever seem to get rattled. He needs to be cool so this OL can gel and stay confident. Perhaps qhat separates him the Dobbs amd Pete.

I've stated my.opinion many times on the big dropoff on the OL that says a lot of you will be dissapointed. Still, an actual passing game greatly benefits these guys so that defenses won't load the box on expected run plays.

I think we have the best group of WRs in the SEC.

I love Hurd, but Lane will start every game and we will probably see a Lane>Neal playing time debate that I.wont agree with.

Improved LB and secondary play plus a better offense will help this DL out. They will cost them the game late when teams neded to grind it out but with the depleted passing games across the SEC these guys can play to the run a little more and I am confident tthey won't get run over all game.

Really excited about the secpndary play against many a new QBs.

Bama is going to disapoint their fans. :dance2:

Let the season begin!

Reactions: 4 people
I appreciate your enthusiasm. I am more concerned about our play in the trenches-where the games are won. I agree that we have great skilled players on offense, but there are big questions about the O-Line. On defense, we have a good secondary and good LB's. What about the front 4 on defense? I think we have one of the weakest rated D-Lines in the SEC and if they can't get off blocks AND get pressure to the QB's, our CB's will not be able to cover the WR's and our LB's will be having to go against opposing O-lineman coming at them full speed. If we were solid up front on both lines, I could see 8 wins. Unfortunately, we don't have that or the depth there (inexperienced freshman will have a tough time against seasoned SEC lineman ). I look for a hopeful 7 win season which includes a bowl win.

The potential is there for 8 wins and a COY award to Jones as well as the trenches keeping the Vols from a bowl appearance again. Heres my feeling on some key things.

I think the further into the season we get the more the (resurrected) passing game comes into play. The improvement of Worley is underrated IMHO. The best part about him and this new OL is that he didn't ever seem to get rattled. He needs to be cool so this OL can gel and stay confident. Perhaps qhat separates him the Dobbs amd Pete.

I've stated my.opinion many times on the big dropoff on the OL that says a lot of you will be dissapointed. Still, an actual passing game greatly benefits these guys so that defenses won't load the box on expected run plays.

I love Hurd, but Lane will start every game and we will probably see a Lane>Neal playing time debate that I.wont agree with.

Improved LB and secondary play plus a better offense will help this DL out. They will cost them the game late when teams neded to grind it out but with the depleted passing games across the SEC these guys can play to the run a little more and I am confident tthey won't get run over all game.

Let the season begin!

When your expectations are NC every year, you will be disappointed more times than not.

I have 3 thoughts going in this year.

1. I hope I have someone new sitting behind me in who is about 5'5" or shorter. I have had 2 giant knees in my back for the past decade.

2. I hope VN quits selling their tickets to rivals teams.

3. The sound system is better this year than a 78 Duster.. Heavy bass and cheap speakers in not enjoyable,

Reactions: 3 people

1. I hope I have someone new sitting behind me in who is about 5'5" or shorter. I have had 2 giant knees in my back for the past decade.

3. The sound system is better this year than a 78 Duster.. Heavy bass and cheap speakers in not enjoyable,

You just sparked the annual "standing v sitting" debate and didn't even mean to.

Reactions: 1 person

It is bad because the majority of the speakers sit atop the West skyboxes...above the stadium. Given the design of Neyland without much of a gap in between the levels there's really no other place to put them. Unlike the modern stadiums where the Jumbotrons and speakers are in the middle layers of the stadium where the sound is more at fan level vs. blaring down from above.

It's 2014, surely some sound designers can come up with something better especially now they're playing music.

Last edited:

Let the season begin!

I agree with almost everything you wrote, except the OL part. I think they're gonna do OK and make us proud of em.

I think our OL is gonna be a lot better than anyone expected. I think our skill positions are certainly now SEC standards. I still have my worries about Worley think he's gonna be a lot smarter still worry about his overall athleticism hopefully those worries will be calmed in the first game. I like our linebackers and secondary were much faster at those positions. If they can prevent busting to many assignments we'll make a lot more 3rd down stops this season. The DT's are wait and see what they can do. The DE's seem to be a team strength.

I would love to see us get five SEC wins. A win over Florida is still my biggest hope for the season. I think were getting close to challenging Bama another year or so recruiting should get us there.

It will all come down to the O-line and D-line. They will need to play well and stay healthy to give UT a chance to make a bowl game. In football without good line play on both sides of the ball, the rest of the scheme falls apart.

Reactions: 2 people
I think our OL is gonna be a lot better than anyone expected. I think our skill positions are certainly now SEC standards. I still have my worries about Worley think he's gonna be a lot smarter still worry about his overall athleticism hopefully those worries will be calmed in the first game. I like our linebackers and secondary were much faster at those positions. If they can prevent busting to many assignments we'll make a lot more 3rd down stops this season. The DT's are wait and see what they can do. The DE's seem to be a team strength.

I would love to see us get five SEC wins. A win over Florida is still my biggest hope for the season. I think were getting close to challenging Bama another year or so recruiting should get us there.

Depends on who you mean. All the experts yes. But most of volnation says the line will be better than expexted lol a good passing game helps. I'm simply meaning i don't think people realize how badly last years OL will be missed.

To another poster there is sone optimism regarding the DL that is, that the strength of the back 7 will help them. The secondary didn't do them many favors before.

I agree with almost everything you wrote, except the OL part. I think they're gonna do OK and make us proud of em.

I do too. This group doesn't have the natural athleticism of last year's group but they have something that group didn't have- they're much more aggressive. It is noticeable in Crowder and Kerbyson. Crowder specifically cited that trait in Gilham in his interview yesterday. Jackson showed tons of it when he actually played. I would assume that it was prerequisite for Thomas and Robertson to stake a claim to playing time.

UT had the most athletic OL in the SEC last fall. Mizzou probably had among the least athletic. Which was more effective? I think being fully incorporated into Jones' system is going to matter more in the performance of the OL than their lack of experience or supposed lack of talent.

I also tend to think the S&C that these guys have been through makes up for much of the raw talent advantage the last guys had.

FTR, I think Crowder, Jackson, and Kerbyson at a minimum have NFL futures from UT's starting OL. Probably Robertson. Loss of experience? Yes. Catastrophic decline in talent? I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'm simply meaning i don't think people realize how badly last years OL will be missed.

I was never one of the ones who downed that unit. But their collective performance never really came up to the level of the sum of their talent. They never had synergy... in fact almost the opposite.

Jones' frustration with their lack of "finish" last fall is also something that makes me think that "his" OL's won't have that problem. That alone... makes them a better unit.

Wow, isn't it exciting getting close to the new season. I try to keep my expectations and hopes in check because though we are on the rise it is only reasonable to see we are a season or two away from growing up. Then again I still find myself thinking with all the youth and inexperience growth is sure to happen for these outstanding athletes we have brought in. Barring too many injuries 6-7-8 wins is not unreachable and I do expect our losses not to be blowouts. The coaches appear to be excited and confident and this is showing in the team's spirit. I guess I will just set myself not to be surprised or disappointed but still excited. GO VOLS!!!

Too many variables to make win loss projections at this point. I think they can be a very dangerous team with the ability to compete with anyone for 3 quarters. Hopefully that will translate into some upsets or at least some very competitive SEC games.

There has been a lot of discussion about the lack of athleticism of our teams in the past on both sides of the ball but especially with Worley at QB. I hope this year demonstrates the importance of confidence in athletic performance. The team is in the 2nd year of CBJ system, and they all seem to have truly bought in, especially Worley. High School success doesn't always translate to the next level, but Worley's drop off was dramatic. I look for a big season out of a newly confident leader surrounded by young fresh talent.

Umm.....isn't that every teams goal? I don't think anybody goes into the season hoping not to win a NC.

I think that is the same reasoning a fan whose team is 0-6 holding up 1 finger and saying "we're #1."
Not the same finger as Manziel last week.

My two concerns are (1) Worley will play well then get injured and our winning momentum will slow down with Peterman or Dobbs in the game. (2) MIchigan & Florida fire their coaches and bUTch listens to their offers.

I have similar concerns with many about the O-Line and D-Line however, I learned a lesson last season. Going into last season I thought my Vols would be a surprise team based on the seniority and talent on the O-Line.

When we couldn't get one yard running the ball on third down VS. Candy I learned that our O-Line from last year was vastly overrated. They did pass protect pretty well but that's about all.

I think and hope that this seasons O-Line and D-Line are being undervalued. I don't believe we will (lose) much from our running game anyway.

JMO

It is bad because the majority of the speakers sit atop the West skyboxes...above the stadium. Given the design of Neyland without much of a gap in between the levels there's really no other place to put them. Unlike the modern stadiums where the Jumbotrons and speakers are in the middle layers of the stadium where the sound is more at fan level vs. blaring down from above.

It's 2014, surely some sound designers can come up with something better especially now they're playing music.

somebody needs to contact BOSE..:hi:

I think it's all going to depend on keeping injuries down to a minimum. If we get lucky and not get too many guys hurt, I think this team has the potential for 8 wins. If we stay healthy, I'm going to say 8-5 (including a bowl win). If we suffer a bunch of injuries, I'm saying 5-7 again.

VN Store

Back