Special Teams play 2014

GrowVol

With an influx of talent, yet many freshman, do you guys think we will see much better ST play this year? Will inexperience play as much of a role in ST?

With an influx of talent, yet many freshman, do you guys think we will see much better ST play this year? Will inexperience play as much of a role in ST?

Excellent question. I am hoping more speed more than makes up for less experienced players on the STs. :question:

The coverage and return units should be much improved since we have added quite a bit of team speed and depth. If our kicker and punter can come anywhere close to what Palardy did last year then we'll be improved as a whole in the kicking game. If they struggle, then it will be the opposite of last year. Bad kicking with good coverage/returns. Last year was great kicking with poor coverage/returns.

The coverage and return units should be much improved since we have added quite a bit of team speed and depth. If our kicker and punter can come anywhere close to what Palardy did last year then we'll be improved as a whole in the kicking game. If they struggle, then it will be the opposite of last year. Bad kicking with good coverage/returns. Last year was great kicking with poor coverage/returns.

Coverage teams were terrible last year. I still have flashbacks of the Auburn game. Like yourself, I hope speed and talent can plug holes, even if they are freshman. I bet our kicking game will get ironed out by mid season...fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 person
I just hope we have a return threat this season. It's been a long time since we had anybody as a consistent threat to take punts & kicks to the house. I can't even remember how far back that's been.

Dale Carter comes to mind right off but I'm sure we've had somebody else as a threat since but surely doesn't pop right into the head. Who has been a consistent threat in the past 10-15 years? I just can't think of any player right now. Would be nice to have a player that could give us a few return TD's this season.

Who's supposed to the faster player we have on the team? Is it Michael Williams as a track star or somebody else? You can't teach pure speed & we just haven't had that type threat in a long time in Knoxville.

Kickers look great, return men look deadly. Major league team speed upgrade for coverage.

I say its like going from a "C" to a "B+" or better.

Butch just said he needs the FG Kicking to get better. Not consistent enough from 40 yards or less. That will cost us a game if they can't quickly get it together. That's troubling. On the bright side, I think the other areas of Special Teams won't be any worse.

I just hope we have a return threat this season. It's been a long time since we had anybody as a consistent threat to take punts & kicks to the house. I can't even remember how far back that's been.

Dale Carter comes to mind right off but I'm sure we've had somebody else as a threat since but surely doesn't pop right into the head. Who has been a consistent threat in the past 10-15 years? I just can't think of any player right now. Would be nice to have a player that could give us a few return TD's this season.

2012 Cordarelle Patterson. He took both a punt and a kickoff back for TDs. He was mostly punted away from but on kickoffs he averaged 28 yards per return

Who's supposed to the faster player we have on the team? Is it Michael Williams as a track star or somebody else? You can't teach pure speed & we just haven't had that type threat in a long time in Knoxville.

Dontie stalworth was a good one

2012 Cordarelle Patterson. He took both a punt and a kickoff back for TDs. He was mostly punted away from but on kickoffs he averaged 28 yards per return

Patterson was god but didn't get enough chances.

Dontie stalworth was a good one

Stallworth was pretty good as well. That's been a long time ago. Wonder who will be our #1 punt return guy? Is it Devrin Young? Jacob Carter? Von Pearson? We don't have a depth chart available yet to determine these things. I know that I've seen an awful lot of Devrin Young & Jacob Carter fielding punts in practice videos.

Very few videos show Pearson & others that are competing for the job. Could Josh Malone be one of those guys? What about Vic Wharton? We certainly have options & that's good! I want a guy fielding punts & kicks that has pure speed. Of course, he has to be able to catch the ball too! That's the most important thing above any other attribute.

VN Store

Back