Are we gonna do this this year?

salutethehill

by hatchet, axe, and saw
him.gif

Or did that go with the last OLine?

I thought it was goofy.

A testament to our Offensive Line lack of mobility last year. I cant remember if they were offside or not but there was not a penalty.

Reactions: 1 person
That was our over rated O/L showing the refs how quick they are to see defender jump offsides...at the expense of hurting our QB. Great Job O/L

Reactions: 3 people
Saw FSU do that a few years ago in Gainesville.

It is the dumbest thing I have ever seen a team intentionally do.

I've still never understood what, exactly, was supposed to happen on this play. Was the intention to get the QB killed, or just horribly maimed?

Bad part was that there were no flags for off sides and Peterman probably was injured on that play. I can see teaching pee wee players to be still to help the refees to make the call but this is the NCAA... :)

You know they are coached to do that, right?

I don't know that as fact, but have assumed it. It's stupid. I saw O/L do this last year twice. I have always wanted to ask our coach...what the reasoning is, because generally neutral zone/pre-snap infractions are spot on calls by refs.....So why risk hurting a QB? Just to show off coaching discipline? Ego?
Risks are not worth it. It's stupid coaching....plain and simple

Last edited:
I highly doubt we see that play again. The risk is way to high. We cannot allow DT to get free shots on our QB. Extremely stupid play call.

The only logical explanation(I use logical loosely)that I can come up with, is that there is a chance that the defense may freeze at the sight of the OL not moving after the D jumps and the ball is snapped...
I hate this though...

They were clearly off sides. The QB is supposed to back peddle and throw the ball into the dirt when this happens. Refs are supposed to throw a flag and call the play dead bc the defenders were unabatiated to the QB. Neither of those things happened. Senior leadership says take the 5 yd offsides penalty. RS FR leadership says go for the long ball. Happy Worley is our starter

They were clearly off sides. The QB is supposed to back peddle and throw the ball into the dirt when this happens. Refs are supposed to throw a flag and call the play dead bc the defenders were unabatiated to the QB. Neither of those things happened. Senior leadership says take the 5 yd offsides penalty. RS FR leadership says go for the long ball. Happy Worley is our starter

Why would we get a penalty? We didn't false start. Senior QB last season? who was that? Refs are supposed to protect the QB? to a degree. Long ball? what deference would it have made if it where a slant? Even with Worley?
But yeah, I'm glad we have Worley starting

No, that's not what you should do. If the defense is offside (in this case they didn't call it, but suppose they did), you go all out and take advantage of a "free play". Everybody stopping and the qb throwing the ball in the dirt is dumb.

You carry out the play and even try to force a throw for a big play because the worst thing that can happen is you keep the down and the ball goes forward 5 yards. Actually, the worst thing that can happen is the offense also commits a penalty and the penalties offset and you replay the down.

But, regardless once you know you get that flag you are safe from disaster. Nothing bad can happen.

Risk vs reward??? Getting your QB killed for 5 yards??? Maybe that's why 99.9℅ of the other teams in college football don't do this.... :)

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back