Coleman commanding nickel spot

WilliamDuVOL

Tennessee Vols' Justin Coleman commanding nickel spot

Tennessee’s most consistent defensive back throughout preseason camp probably hasn’t been the name most would have guessed.

Most probably would have guessed fourth-year junior safety Brian Randolph, who has been a consistent performer since stepping foot on campus and provides the secondary with a stability that’s most clearly evident anytime he leaves the field.

Those who didn’t vote for Randolph probably would have picked cornerback Cameron Sutton — who was named a Freshman All-American last season and seems primed for stardom.

Vols secondary coach Willie Martinez said Randolph and Sutton have been “great” throughout camp, but that neither has been his most consistent performer. That label was given to much maligned senior Justin Coleman, a veteran who seems to be much more dynamic at nickel than he was at cornerback — the position where he’s started 25 times in his 36-game career.

The 5-foot-10, 188-pound Coleman has consistently impressed at nickel, where his physical strength and ability to cover the slot has been accentuated and his struggles at covering downfield in space have been minimized. In short, Coleman's effectiveness seems to increase as the space between him and the center of the field decreases.

“Justin’s really done a great job,” Martinez said after Thursday’s practice on Haslam Field. “He’s got a lot of confidence going right now. He’s made a lot of plays. He’s very confident. He’s somebody that we really trust right now. He’s earned it.

“He’s been the most consistent defensive back that we’ve had in camp.”

Coleman’s position as first-team nickel — a position that’s widely seen as a 12th starter in this era of spread-heavy football — hasn’t seemed to come under any legitimate threat since he transitioned to the position this spring, but Martinez said he continues to see players like sophomore Malik Foreman and a handful of talented freshmen making plays and pushing everyone in the secondary to improve on a daily basis.

“It’s really good. It’s really good for us,” Martinez said. “We feel really good as far as the competition. We didn’t have that last year. Now we have a lot of guys competing for reps.

“Maybe in the past, it was, ‘Let’s beat this guy out. This guy’s not that good.’ That’s not the case anymore.”

SWAFFORD STILL STARTING: Martinez said sophomore Devaun Swafford — who played the nickel position last season — is still Tennessee’s first-team safety opposite Randolph, but that junior LaDarrell McNeil and freshmen Todd Kelly Jr., Cortez McDowell and Evan Berry are still pushing him for that spot.

Martinez said Randolph, like Sutton and Coleman, has earned a starting spot. But the veteran coach said the other two spots — including Swafford’s safety spot — remain up for grabs.

That’s not to suggest Swafford has played bad, though, Martinez added.

“Devaun’s done a nice job,” Martinez said. “We’d like to see more consistency, like we have with Brian Randolph. There’s still an open competition at than other (non-Randolph) safety position — a position that Devaun’s holding on to. That competition is good for us. That’s not taking anything away from Devaun. I just think it’s more of the push from the other guys, whether it’s LaDarrell or Todd of Cortez Or Evan.

“It’s been a great competition going on. That’s only gonna make us better. That’s good to see.”

Reactions: 4 people
Scary to hear that Coleman is the most consistent DB throughout preseason camp.

I trust the coaches though.

I thought he would have put on more weight by now also. He will be small Nickel back. As long as he is not getting burned on the long ball anymore maybe he will be OK. Just keep him away from the cornerback position.

I thought he would have put on more weight by now also. He will be small Nickel back. As long as he is not getting burned on the long ball anymore maybe he will be OK. Just keep him away from the cornerback position.

The Honey Badger was and is tiny by all standards and he's about as good as they come at nickel. I realize he is a freak of nature in a lot of ways but nickel is a spot where its more about speed, agility and disruption than size.

The Honey Badger was and is tiny by all standards and he's about as good as they come at nickel. I realize he is a freak of nature in a lot of ways but nickel is a spot where its more about speed, agility and disruption than size.

Spot on. A small quick guy with freakish strength is what makes a great nickel back. Quickness and top end speed are different things. I wonder if Coleman struggles in the vertical jump department when compared to his fellow cohorts in the secondary?

Coleman makes me drink heavily

I seem to remember it being talked about quite a lot the last year or two that Coleman was essentially playing out of position and that nickel was a much better fit.

To me, it makes sense that he's doing well in that spot.

I seem to remember it being talked about quite a lot the last year or two that Coleman was essentially playing out of position and that nickel was a much better fit.

To me, it makes sense that he's doing well in that spot.

It was.

People here would just rather make drinking jokes and make fun of student athletes.

Reactions: 2 people
Nickel is really hard to play. I'm glad we've found someone who is doing it well.

Technical Question: What are the responsibilities of Nickel back versus cornerback? I realize they are like a 5th($.05) DB on the field originally designed for coverage on passing downs, but now offers more open field speed / agility to deal with the newer spread offenses.

Does a nickel depend on open field tackling skills more or zone coverages or man coverages etc? I'm just ignorant of the skills needed / responsibilities versus Coleman's old position. TIA.

Reactions: 1 person
Technical Question: What are the responsibilities of Nickel back versus cornerback? I realize they are like a 5th($.05) DB on the field originally designed for coverage on passing downs, but now offers more open field speed / agility to deal with the newer spread offenses.

Does a nickel depend on open field tackling skills more or zone coverages or man coverages etc? I'm just ignorant of the skills needed / responsibilities versus Coleman's old position. TIA.

CB has to cover in space, where as Nickel is closer to the line of scrimmage covering slot receiver. Basically close to the line of scrimmage is less room to get burnt in tighter areas.

I like Coleman at the nickel a lot. He just doesn't have the instinct or game to cover opposing teams #1 or #2 wr outside in space, as many safeties and nickels don't.

The fact that we can now move him to his natural position speaks to the talent we brought in. Depth is a coming...

This is AWESOME news! Randolph and Sutton have been "GREAT", but Coleman (a weakness in the past at CB) has been, "the most consistent defensive back that we’ve had in camp”!

What I think this means is our entire back 7 are going to be solid (and even have a little depth). We know we have 2-3 talented guys on the front lines. I'm starting to think that - barring injuries - we could actually have a GOOD defense for the first time in YEARS!

Go VOLS!!! :clapping:

Dont be concerned. Nickel is like a totally different position. It hides Coleman's weaknesses (covering over the top threats) and accentuates his strengths (covering smaller, "shifty" slot guys closer to the LoS). He is the most consistent because he is playing a position that actually makes sense.

I also think nickel will give Coleman a really good opportunity to put his extensive game experience to use. It will allow him to use his instincts more playing closer to the line (like when to crash down on outside runs). That kind of game experience should theoretically be his biggest strength.

Swafford too. Concerned that he's gonna be the other safety. Hurry up TKJr!!

Swafford is a baller, my friend. Overlooked in recruiting by many, but he can flat out play. The only thing to worry about with him is youth because the athleticism and speed are there. And he plays with a big ass chip on his shoulder. He's well worth the scholarship that he earned.

Yes, as a walk-on true freshman last year, Swafford only had 2 defensive/ST touchdowns.

I am really concerned that he may only get 4 or 5 this year. :eek:hmy: :crazy:

Didn't pay much attention last year huh mc? For every (2) big plays he made, he was out of position and late to the ball 10-fold. Swafford is slower that we need our safeties to be. Heard TKJr is closing fast and picking things up quickly after being slowed by injury there for a little bit. Like I said, he needs to hurry up and take the position. Him or McDowell or Evan Berry.

Didn't pay much attention last year huh mc? For every (2) big plays he made, he was out of position and late to the ball 10-fold. Swafford is slower that we need our safeties to be. Heard TKJr is closing fast and picking things up quickly after being slowed by injury there for a little bit. Like I said, he needs to hurry up and take the position. Him or McDowell or Evan Berry.

Preach.

Because you are right.

VN Store

Back