Top WR groups in the SEC

nash101

SEC Network ranked the top WR groups and the Vols were his "surprise" pick at #4 -- behind UGA, Bama, and Auburn.

As he ticked off the names of our guys, he said that when we go FOUR WIDE, it will be tough for any team out there to match up with us. Lots of targets for Worley.

I would love to see us go 4 and 5 wide now and then (like we did in the 80's with Gault and company). It's a nice wrinkle

Reactions: 15 people
North-Man among boys
Malone-Jumping abillty
Pearson- YAC
Smith- Hands
Wolf- Big Body/Combo
Howard- Versatile
Croom- Freak of Nature
Helm- H back/TE

Reactions: 19 people
SEC Network ranked the top WR groups and the Vols were his "surprise" pick at #4 -- behind UGA, Bama, and Auburn.

As he ticked off the names of our guys, he said that when we go FOUR WIDE, it will be tough for any team out there to match up with us. Lots of targets for Worley.

I would love to see us go 4 and 5 wide now and then (like we did in the 80's with Gault and company). It's a nice wrinkle

It's a nice offense in general. TEs complicate things for the offense and are hard to find.

North-Man among boys
Malone-Jumping abillty
Pearson- YAC
Smith- Hands
Wolf- Big Body/Combo
Howard- Versatile
Croom- Freak of Nature
Helm- H back/TE

Lol, have you watched him play? Hands are the biggest question mark in his game.

Very fast receiver who was one of the few Vol receivers capable of getting open last year.

Reactions: 7 people
Lol, have you watched him play? Hands are the biggest question mark in his game.

Very fast receiver who was one of the few Vol receivers capable of getting open last year.

Coaching staff says he has the best hands on the team. I will take their word

Reactions: 10 people

Agreed. I think he just think he let the pressure of the big stage get to him at times. I think he'll get his nerves under control this season.

Reactions: 2 people

I would love to see us go 4 wide ALL the time. Just don't see how many teams could match up AND contain our running backs.

Reactions: 1 person
If Kameel Jackson would of made it in I think we easily have the best WRs in the nation.

I don't know about Uga being ranked first. I thought Mitchell got hurt again?

If Kameel Jackson would of made it in I think we easily have the best WRs in the nation.

I don't know about Uga being ranked first. I thought Mitchell got hurt again?

UGA and Bama along with Auburn are the unquestioned top 3, but UT may be close behind, depends if the OL gives the QB time and the QB can make the throws....l

I will take our group of WR's over any other teams. I know they are fairly unproven at this point, but I love the mix of size and speed we have, and the fact that quite a few are underclassmen. Not to look ahead, but the future of wide receiver u is very, very bright. Just imagine trying defend North, Malone, Pearson, Smith, and the addition of Preston Williams....considering we have a competent QB to get them the ball. That's a scary mix of size and speed for opposing defenses to try and contain.

Reactions: 1 person

Same thing last season. It's awesome he can catch in practice, needs to do it in games.

He is probably the best route runner on the team tho.

This is just one more example of a media as a whole not having any kind of grasp of what's going on in K-town. We're so far out of their periphery while teams with recent success fill their vision. It's why every year there are "surprise teams", when it's not much of a surprise for people close to the programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
For example, in the all-sec voting, we have one player in the two deep for both coaches and media polls, A.J. Johnson of coarse. I see at least four players on our roster that are likely to have bigger impacts, and I love A.J..

For example, in the all-sec voting, we have one player in the two deep for both coaches and media polls, A.J. Johnson of coarse. I see at least four players on our roster that are likely to have bigger impacts, and I love A.J..

Just out of curiosity.... Who's your four players? Maggitt, North, and??? I know you said you love AJ and I'm not doubting that. It just seems like a lot of people undervalue AJ Johnson and I just don't understand that.

Whats so great about Georgias recieving core? Honest question.

I've wondered that myself. Conley, Mitchell, and Bennett. Not saying their not quality receivers, but I worry a lot more about Gurley and company than I do their receivers minus Aaron Murray this year. Seems like a bit of a stretch for the #1 spot in the conference.

Last edited:
North-Man among boys
Malone-Jumping abillty
Pearson- YAC
Smith- Hands
Wolf- Big Body/Combo
Howard- Versatile
Croom- Freak of Nature
Helm- H back/TE

Based off last year, Smith doesn't have the hands to catch a ball to save his life. (Although I think he will be much better this year)

Worley needs to take advantage. Even a decent QB could throw for 3000+ with this group.

hCB9EE6C0

Thinking the same thing. It is all in whether we have a QB that can deliver them the football. And that is somewhat questionable right now.

VN Store

Back