Croom planning to be more physical

WilliamDuVOL

Jason Croom planning to be more physical for Tennessee Vols

Croom is going to be a beast this year.

The goal, obviously, is to improve every facet of your game every offseason, but the Vols’ wideouts were given at least one thing to prioritize above the rest while preparing for the 2014 season.

Sophomore Jason Croom didn’t flinch while admitting his biggest flaw from the past.

“Mine was physicality,” Croom told govols247.

This, naturally, caused some laughter from the reporter.

Croom, whose businesslike public demeanor generally seems only a bit less serious than the average high school principal, cracked a small smile.

“No, really,” he said. “It was.”

The laughter is obvious, and there’s a simple reason for that.

Croom is 6-foot-5, 243 pounds. And he’s not a tight end, but a wide receiver — albeit a wide receiver who’s bigger than many tight ends.

But … physicality was his biggest problem — “was” being the key word there. The Norcross, Ga., native said he no longer has any problem pushing his weight around and punishing any defensive back who dares trying to knock him off of his route.

“It’s definitely weird. I mean, I know it might sound crazy that I say that, but it’s true,” Croom said. “Being physical is a lot different from just going up there and grabbing the ball out of the air. It’s in-between the route. I might not run past some of these guys (in the secondary), but I’m gonna throw you. I mean, like, I’m gonna get where I need to get. That’s the way I’m thinking now: No matter what, I’m gonna get where I need to get.

“I’ve definitely improved on that. I’ve improved a lot.”

Reactions: 14 people
Croom has proven to be ALL VOL. He is a gifted athlete that is willing to work to become better and better. He can and will be a difference maker.
GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 7 people
He is one of my favorite players. I think his upside is endless. Wait until one of those USU d-backs line up against him. I bet they "gulp" right before they eat good ole' Neyland dirt.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm waiting for Croom to have a breakout performance. Hopefully, this year is the year that he realizes his potential

I think he will have his share of catches, but I pity the fool who he pancakes down field.

So, how tall is too tall for a WR?

Can't wait to see this guy unleash the beast on some 5'10" 175lb CB.

If he's got rid of those stone hands, he will be a good weapon in the end zone. We need him to play like he did at UK last year, all season this time around.

At 6'5" 243 pounds he should make every CB in the league his b^*ch, including Hargreaves. No excuses this year.

Reactions: 2 people
“It just comes down to competing,” Croom said. “It’s like, ‘Who’s the scrappiest player out there? Who's the toughest player out there? Who’s gonna do that little extra dirty work?’ I want to be that guy.”

:rock:

Reactions: 3 people
Its his 3rd year and the article itself is evidence that's he's played soft for his size up til now. Just saying if he doesn't become dominant at the line of scrimmage with d-backs 5 inches shorter and 40 lbs lighter by now, then not sure he will be that kind of player in the future. I don't see a problem with that analysis. That said, sounds like a good kid and I hope he has a monster year.

Reactions: 1 person
Just focus on making the catch first, then run over the defender.:) Croom just needs to be able to catch the ball with his hands and not his body.

Its his 3rd year and the article itself is evidence that's he's played soft for his size up til now. Just saying if he doesn't become dominant at the line of scrimmage with d-backs 5 inches shorter and 40 lbs lighter by now, then not sure he will be that kind of player in the future. I don't see a problem with that analysis. That said, sounds like a good kid and I hope he has a monster year.
I agree with you that if he can't at the very least dominate at the line of scrimmage after 3 years in the program, it's probably not going to ever happen for him. With that said, he could still perfect other areas of his game and become a more polished receiver in the future.

I agree with you that if he can't at the very least dominate at the line of scrimmage after 3 years in the program, it's probably not going to ever happen for him. With that said, he could still perfect other areas of his game and become a more polished receiver in the future.

He didn't play at all his first yr in the program, and only part-time last year. He has multiple yrs ahead of him. You should chillax. :shades:

Reactions: 1 person
I'm going to be that guy and say I think he's better in a pass catching TE type role, like Aaron Hernandez. He would kill it in the middle of the field catching passes against LBs and safeties.

VN Store

Back