Question about Vols Offense

AFL2008

I don't understand why UT fans think that they are going to have such a big advantage in the passing game over their opponents in 2014. Check this out: Quinton Dunbar, an average WR on a terrible offense last year for Florida, had 40 receptions and 548 yards receiving. That would have made him the #1 WR at UT last year in terms of receiving yards and he didn't even lead Florida in receiving. He was #2 behind Solomon Patton (556, 6 TD), and everyone knows how bad UF's offense was, especially late in the season last year.

So it's not like UT had a ton of production last year out of some of these highly regarded players. In addition to that, UT has a guy starting at QB with more INT than TD and a completion percentage below 60% for his career, and his top 3 tackles are going to be a freshman, a walk-on, and a JUCO, only one of which has ever even stepped foot on a D1 College Football field.

So why is the passing game going to be so good? I would argue that your running game, given the experience and quality of UT's guards, and the ability of the RBs, would make that the strength of the offense. Lane is solid and everyone is saying Hurd is going to beast on people.

So... why does everyone keep talking about the passing game? The running game looks far more dangerous. Tennessee, BTW, was #44 in the country rushing last year and #109 passing.

I'm sure some of you will hate, cause I'm an opposing fan, but come on. One week till football I need some football talk.

Reactions: 1 person

3 QB's last year
All new WR's
New offense
New Coaches
No Production from TE

I really don't know why will be better in 2014 with our WR's

Reactions: 4 people

3 QB's last year
All new WR's
New offense
New Coaches
No Production from TE

I really don't know why will be better in 2014 with our WR's

I didn't say you wouldn't be better. I just asked why you think it'll be the strength of the team. It takes more than good WR's to have a good passing game. You need good pass protection and a decent QB too.

And it's hard to tell at this point if UT has those things.

But the running game, everyone knows was solid last year, they have good interior linemen and good running backs. It just seems like the clear cut strength to me while the passing game is just a huge question mark.

I think the passing game will be better due to experience and being more confident in the offensive schemes. Worley will have more weapons to throw to this year -- including a pair of talented tight ends ( a key component of the CBJ offense that was missing last year)

The OL may not have much game experience but are talented and strong. I think they will be able to hold their own against most teams we face

I didn't say you wouldn't be better. I just asked why you think it'll be the strength of the team. It takes more than good WR's to have a good passing game. You need good pass protection and a decent QB too.

But the running game, everyone knows was solid last year, they have good interior linemen and good running backs. It just seems like the clear cut strength to me while the passing game is just a huge question mark.

Turn everything he said around and that's why. More familiarity with the offense, coaching harder, coaches expect more. North is a soph, not a freshman.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Running game will be our key. If we are in 3rd and long alot, it wont be good

Ok well tell me why you think Florida will win more than 4 games this year. According to last year, that was the best they could do. Shouldn't we expect the exact same thing this year?

Reactions: 7 people
1. Receivers who actually run the route they are supposed to will be an improvement.
2. An improved running game that has to be taken seriously will aid in the passing game.
3. 3 solid QBs with more command over the playbook will enable them to make the right read and keep the ball when they should will open up both running and passing games.
4. Yards after catch will be the biggest improvement and make the passing game a strength of the offense.
5. But, the running game will be the biggest strength going forward.

Reactions: 7 people
I don't understand why UT fans think that they are going to have such a big advantage in the passing game over their opponents in 2014. Check this out: Quinton Dunbar, an average WR on a terrible offense last year for Florida, had 40 receptions and 548 yards receiving. That would have made him the #1 WR at UT last year in terms of receiving yards and he didn't even lead Florida in receiving. He was #2 behind Solomon Patton (556, 6 TD), and everyone knows how bad UF's offense was, especially late in the season last year.

So it's not like UT had a ton of production last year out of some of these highly regarded players. In addition to that, UT has a guy starting at QB with more INT than TD and a completion percentage below 60% for his career, and his top 3 tackles are going to be a freshman, a walk-on, and a JUCO, only one of which has ever even stepped foot on a D1 College Football field.

So why is the passing game going to be so good? I would argue that your running game, given the experience and quality of UT's guards, and the ability of the RBs, would make that the strength of the offense. Lane is solid and everyone is saying Hurd is going to beast on people.

So... why does everyone keep talking about the passing game? The running game looks far more dangerous. Tennessee, BTW, was #44 in the country rushing last year and #109 passing.

I'm sure some of you will hate, cause I'm an opposing fan, but come on. One week till football I need some football talk.

Well, to your first point, the wideouts are much better this year. North, a freshman that played QB in high school was our best and, most of the time, only option. We now have a JUCO guy that should step right in and help on the other side. We'll see if Malone can help out right away. Also, Croom has come on and the most important aspect is our tight ends. Should be much better all around.

Now, to your second point (about QB), you may be onto something. I'm not sold on Worley, but for now he has beaten out the others, so I'm not sure there's much behind him, though I would like to see Peterman play early and see if the lights have turned on there.

So, after being 109 last year, I would love to see us hit the top 50 this year in passing. Butch has historically been in the top tier running the ball so that will take care of itself. I just see the passing game opening up more because of the receivers we have and hopefully Hurd will help enough in the run game to balance this offense. Both winding up in the top 50 would be a dream come true for most of us. That would likely mean we go bowling and knock someone off we aren't supposed to.

I think the passing game will be better due to experience and being more confident in the offensive schemes. Worley will have more weapons to throw to this year -- including a pair of talented tight ends ( a key component of the CBJ offense that was missing last year)

The OL may not have much game experience but are talented and strong. I think they will be able to hold their own against most teams we face

The 2013 offensive line starters only allowed 23 sacks in two years, and only gave up 15 in 2013. I doubt UT only gives up 15 sacks again in 2014, given what they lost on the OL and what they bring back.

The addition of a legit receiving threat at TE should help, I agree. But again, does that make it a strength? I still think the running game would be better.

More speed on D. We were burned because we were slow. This is a noticeably faster team on D.

We had pretty much one decent target at WR last year. And we had two broken hands, an injured hand, and a 4th string QB last year. Consider that. Before injury, Worley was improving last year. He seems to have come in and taken control of the offense this off-season with a stable of quality WRs. Some of them are young and need to prove themselves, but it will be fun to see them do it.

I think we will have a strong running game this year. I think we will have a dangerous passing game this year. I think our secondary will be significantly improved and will only get better through the season as the young guys get experience.

Reactions: 2 people
Ok well tell me why you think Florida will win more than 4 games this year. According to last year, that was the best they could do. Shouldn't we expect the exact same thing this year?

I didn't say anything about wins and losses. I just asked why Vol fans are so confident about their passing game. The closer I've looked at it the less sense it makes. If I was a Vol fan I would be talking up what looks to be a decent running game.

In regards to Florida's passing game, if that's what you mean, there are a lot of positives to point at that are similar to the things UT fans are talking about. Talented WRs, (yes UF has actually recruited decent talent there), decent QB when healthy, experienced OL, new coordinator that has been known to put together good passing attacks.

But even with that I would never describe UF's passing game as the strength of the offense. It starts on the ground for UF still, because they have very talented, productive backs, and a mobile QB, behind a pretty good run blocking line (again, when healthy).

It seems to me that UF and UT have a lot of similarities this year. The only difference being that UF brought in a new offensive coach, and has a more experienced line. But the same questions exist at other positions just like UT. Questions about QB, young, but talented WRs... will they break out? Who starts at RB? Lots of talent. See the similarities?

Last year we basically had 1 productive WR and no TE. We recruited the top juco WR in Von Pearson, one of the top freshman WR in Josh Malone, and not one but TWO really good, possibly elite TEs.

Those upgrades along with the fact Worley is a senior and last year was his first year in this system so he should be better this year...thats the reason for the optimism

Reactions: 5 people
This is misguided I think. I'm pretty good about getting on to people for living in a fantasy land, but even I can't recall more than 1 or 2 people saying the passing game would be the strength of our team.

I didn't say anything about wins and losses. I just asked why Vol fans are so confident about their passing game. The closer I've looked at it the less sense it makes. If I was a Vol fan I would be talking up what looks to be a decent running game.

In regards to Florida's passing game, if that's what you mean, there are a lot of positives to point at that are similar to the things UT fans are talking about. Talented WRs, (yes UF has actually recruited decent talent there), decent QB when healthy, experienced OL, new coordinator that has been known to put together good passing attacks.

But even with that I would never describe UF's passing game as the strength of the offense. It starts on the ground for UF still, because they have very talented, productive backs, and a mobile QB, behind a pretty good run blocking line (again, when healthy).

It seems to me that UF and UT have a lot of similarities this year. The only difference being that UF brought in a new offensive coach, and has a more experienced line. But the same questions exist at other positions just like UT. Questions about QB, young, but talented WRs... will they break out? Who starts at RB? Lots of talent. See the similarities?

Can you point out where we've pointed out that passing will be a strength of the offense, besides the parts where we point out to a single opponent that their secondary doesn't match up well against us?

I expect us to run the ball very well. I also expect us to have a good passing game with play-makers at the position. It will probably be quite a bit of west coast style, high percentage throws that are often broken for big gains by play-makers in space. We will throw in occasional deep threat passes to keep secondaries honest.

That's part and parcel what CBJ's scheme is predicated on. Worley seems to be thriving in it during this year's off-season with another year in the offense, with several athletic targets, and with TEs as an actual option.

Just because it'll be the strength of our team doesn't mean our offense will be like Oregon. Rather, it's our brightest spot on the field.

I'm trying to figure out how, with an unproven line, that you can say one way or the other which one will be our strength or weakness

We believe it will be better for a few reasons.

1) Many of us believe the supposed drop off on the OL has been significantly overstated. As you mention, the middle should be solid and even after the move of a Fr to OG. Kerbyson shores up the RT spot. The walk on you mentioned was an outstanding HS OL that was overlooked because he was a late bloomer and weighed only 240 lbs. He's beating out Blair legitimately even though Blair is improving and playing well. Blair was one of the top JUCO players in the class... and those guys are recruited to play right away... and he was recruited by a BUNCH of top schools.

2) UT has abundant talent at receiver. Now they have abundant talent and guys who have a clue about the way the O is supposed to work. Last year they didn't. North had literally never played WR before as a regular position.

3) Based on off-season reports, it has clicked. The QB's have confidence in the receivers and the receivers have confidence in what they're doing. That alone is HUGE improvement over last fall.

4) As for Worley, he's had a snake bit career. Dooley yanked his RS as a Fr because Bray got hurt and Simms was horrible. He played very little in '12. In '13 he had to learn and help install a new system, deal with the transition of coaches, AND throw to receivers who often failed to run the right route correctly. BUT FTR, if he doesn't play well then he'll be replaced. Jones has a history of being decisive about things like that.

Regarding the discussion of the unproven line, the only experienced players I see are interior players, so I assumed that would be a benefit to the running game. Although, I just saw another post on the forum, and then sft18 just reiterated, that Kerbyson is moving to RT. It takes away from the interior a bit, but a freshmen doesn't have as much to think about at guard vs. tackle in a zone blocking scheme, so there seems to be less chances for mistakes there. But it still doesn't indicate great confidence in the OL situation, especially at tackle.

To the people that have asked me to show where I've seen people talking up the passing game, I could literally copy and paste posts from all over the football forum. I'm not going to take up my time doing that. Just peruse the forum and I think you'll see what I'm talking about. To be fair though, most haven't necessarily talked up the whole passing game, per se, they've focused on the WR's.

So what are the projections for the passing offense this year? Top 70? Top 50? I'm curious.

Yes you can expect the exact same thing this yr. FL will only win 4 games this yr.

Regarding the discussion of the unproven line, the only experienced players I see are interior players, so I assumed that would be a benefit to the running game. Although, I just saw another post on the forum, and then sft18 just reiterated, that Kerbyson is moving to RT. It takes away from the interior a bit, but a freshmen doesn't have as much to think about at guard vs. tackle in a zone blocking scheme, so there seems to be less chances for mistakes there. But it still doesn't indicate great confidence in the OL situation, especially at tackle.

To the people that have asked me to show where I've seen people talking up the passing game, I could literally copy and paste posts from all over the football forum. I'm not going to take up my time doing that. Just peruse the forum and I think you'll see what I'm talking about. To be fair though, most haven't necessarily talked up the whole passing game, per se, they've focused on the WR's.

So what are the projections for the passing offense this year? Top 70? Top 50? I'm curious.

I believe the posts you're referencing were in the various USU threads. The projections have been: "Our WRs will torch your undersized secondary."

Different year = higher expectations. Last year was so bad this year has to be better.
Actually you'll see more short passes to playmakers in open field to open up the ground game, which will be good, like you said.:thumbsup:
GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back