Volnation will be angry and disappointed on 01-Sep

Eddie Vol Halen

Senior Life Champion
There is a chance USU will beat us which would literally be catastrophic for the program.

It's more likely we win a close game and we the fans will wring our hands and be anxious about the SEC schedule. The media (which hates us) will portray it as a Dooley-esque, same ol' Vols, you can't win anything with freshmen.

By far the most likely scenario is that we are going to curb-stomp USU with a hobnail boot in our house by sending wave after wave of faster, stronger, more athletic, and better coached student athletes at them for 60 minutes.

We will be ecstatic until we read the Monday morning media which will tell stories of: Vols still don't know where they are after win, Vols are supposed to beat USU, NCST-like win and Vols will still finish 5 - 7 again, etc.

There will be no good news stories post the USU victory. Our mistakes will be magnified and the good will be shrouded in mystery and diminished. Take it to the bank.

Reactions: 16 people
After what we have been through, a loss to a good opponent wouldn't register as "literally catastrophic".

Reactions: 5 people
There is a chance USU will beat us which would literally be catastrophic for the program.

It's more likely we win a close game and we the fans will wring our hands and be anxious about the SEC schedule. The media (which hates us) will portray it as a Dooley-esque, same ol' Vols, you can't win anything with freshmen.

By far the most likely scenario is that we are going to curb-stomp USU with a hobnail boot in our house by sending wave after wave of faster, stronger, more athletic, and better coached student athletes at them for 60 minutes.

We will be ecstatic until we read the Monday morning media which will tell stories of: Vols still don't know where they are after win, Vols are supposed to beat USU, NCST-like win and Vols will still finish 5 - 7 again, etc.

There will be no good news stories post the USU victory. Our mistakes will be magnified and the good will be shrouded in mystery and diminished. Take it to the bank.

There's always a chance that anyone can beat us. Wyoming. That's all I gotta say about that one.

But as far as the headlines, I think that even the media will see what we see, and that is a vastly improved team. I don't think anyone will get a grip on what we really are until Oklahoma. I think the first two games are harder than last years because Montana and Western Kentucky are not as good as Utah State and Arkansas State, but still. Until we go to Norman on a road environment, we won't see any sparks of what this team can be. I'm going to be looking for a lot of resilience from the young guys in that game. If they get down, do they still keep fighting.

Crazy thing is, I couldn't ever see any of them laying down and quitting. You think a Berry would quit? Or Todd Kelly Jr? Jalen Hurd? No way. Butch has recruited fighters.

We may get beat on sheer depth and experience and talent in some games....but we sure won't lay down and die like a Dooley team.

Looking forward to seeing what that looks like.

Reactions: 26 people
I think you're right about the media after USU. It's a "no-win" game from a national media perception standpoint. When we win, they will say we we're suppose to, and if lose, we are same ol UT. However, once we win and keep winning, that's when we'll get respect from the media. We just need win #1 with USU and to forget about what they say.

Reactions: 3 people
We lost to Kentucky and two years in a row to Vandy. The bottom has been reached. Not much can be catastrophic now. All up from here.

Reactions: 25 people
Fans are always disappointed. Woulda, shoulda and coulda won are always in the fans vocabulary. We're on the way back to being relevant regardless of this outcome. It's almost Football Time in Tennessee!!!!

Reactions: 3 people
Unfortunately this is a pivotal game right out of the gate. Win and we likely go bowling. Lose and we've not made any progress.

You can tell we are getting close to football time in Tennessee. Nobody is able to sleep. C'mon season. Get here and then time can slow down!

Reactions: 1 person

We schedule to open with someone other than an Austin Peay, and people loose their minds.

Reactions: 1 person
Glad to see the culture has changed in Knoxville. BuTch has the guys believing they are winners. Can't wait for that to happen on this site. I know it is hard after the last few years but if you can't see the culture change than I guess wins and losses are all that matter. I know, I will get flames but Ala damn bama was in the same boat as us and look at what Saban has done. I believe this is the turning year, maybe it is another 5-7 year maybe a 6-6 or 7-5. Hell, I bet auburn did not see last year happening. We will have to watch the year pan out. Hope not to sound too optimistic. Just like in the movie Tombstone, "you tell em BuTch is coming and hells coming with him". Sorry such a long post. GBO

Us? Nothing personal but Butch ain't letting your negative arse anywhere near the field or locker room.

Sorry, but First American NegaVol Bank is closed.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back