USU Scrimmage Notes

How many quick kicks were there?

Lol not sure. Check out this quote from the local paper:

"The Aggies received one vote in the AP poll released Sunday, which was at least one more than Tennessee, their opponent in the season opener, received."

I really hope we beat the living @#$# out of these guys.

Reactions: 8 people
they have been practicing 1s vs 2s & 3s.

the most recent scrimmage they pretty much held everyone out. Honestly they are thinner than we are. Chuckie still hasnt been hit. Also the projected starting OLB Alex Huerta is out for the year

It says the second- and third-teamers were the ones who got most of the work. The story doesn't even mention QB Chuckie Keeton.

I am really surprised that the first team didn't practice much, although the coach is likely just blowing smoke up everybody's skirts...

Reactions: 1 person
12 three and outs on 14 drives? Sweet baby jesus. I thought Chucky was supposed to be pretty good? Sounds like Dobbs is better than him LOL. Where are all those USU fans to explain wtf happened?

Keep in mind while they are thin that this was a team that hung it's hat on defense. At least under their previous coach. I believe the current coach and team are trending downwards and they were scarier a year or 2 ago.

We could legit have some issues running up the middle against them. Just my 2 cents. If I was them I'd sell out to stop the run until Worley and the recievers show they're a threat. I believe they will be this year but it hasn't been shown in a game yet. Remember we averaged 5ypc last year.

Last edited:
Keeton didn't play. This was the two backup QB's (Harrison and Garretson) and that played last year for the final 8 games when Keeton went down and USU's offense really struggled. It was USU's defense that rallied together and saved the season after Keeton went down and the team had a 3-4 record and then finished 9-5.

Right now the backup qb's really aren't that great. The top running back was also sitting that scrimmage out as well.

I don't think so. Their nose tackle is gone and the strength of our line is the interior. They have nobody to take up two blocks and we should be able to run a little bit on them. If UNLV can run on them so can UT. Takes a whole unit to be a good defense and their secondary is a serious issue right now. Doesn't matter how good your 3-4 LBs are if your Guards can get into the second level.

Reactions: 2 people
Lol not sure. Check out this quote from the local paper:

"The Aggies received one vote in the AP poll released Sunday, which was at least one more than Tennessee, their opponent in the season opener, received."

I really hope we beat the living @#$# out of these guys.

+1
Edit: What friggin kills me is the absolute trash talk Vols football is getting from programs at this level. There is no doubt that the past few years have been historically among the roughest the Vols have ever had, and they have yet to do anything to make anyone believe that a corner has been turned. But to have had the program sink down to a level that teams like Utah State and their fans now feel like they can come into Neyland and have a legitimate chance of winning...it's just hard to stomach.

Everyone looks at how the directional school from Alabalammaa came in last year and caused real problems for the Vols and they think they can easily do the same. The fear isn't there anymore.

What makes it even worse is that there have been major upgrades in the talent level all over the field, and I can see that the team this year is much farther along at this point than they were in year one...but no one is paying attention to that.

I realize that the respect and fear that used to be there has to be earned again. I really believe it will be...but I am impatient as hell for a return to the time when the thought of coming into Neyland Stadium to play Tennessee made teams like this **** their pants.

So yeah, I hope the Vols curb stomp them...and then use the rest of the season to show that they are most definitely on the way back to their place among the elite.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I don't think so. Their nose tackle is gone and the strength of our line is the interior. They have nobody to take up two blocks and we should be able to run a little bit on them. If UNLV can run on them so can UT. Takes a whole unit to be a good defense and their secondary is a serious issue right now. Doesn't matter how good your 3-4 LBs are if your Guards can get into the second level.
I really haven't watched or studied them since their last coach was there. What little I did read from their fans is that unlv was an abhoration. Idk on that. They are depleted. I think you and I agree though. That their best and only hope of stopping us is on the ground or us beating ourselves.

They should have a horrible time trying to match up our recievers.

Hopefully Keeton will be rusty.

I just hope we keep his big plays to a minimum. Good players will have some. Also last year I loved how physical we played D even though it wasn't always the prettiest. I'm really hoping to see even more of that with our added speed.

Keeton didn't play. This was the two backup QB's (Harrison and Garretson) and that played last year for the final 8 games when Keeton went down and USU's offense really struggled. It was USU's defense that rallied together and saved the season after Keeton went down and the team had a 3-4 record and then finished 9-5.

Right now the backup qb's really aren't that great. The top running back was also sitting that scrimmage out as well.

Please don't post facts. It's easier if we don't read the entire article and just pick out little pieces to make fun of you with. :)

Reactions: 3 people

Think about what you just said, my friend.

Keeton went 3-4 last year before injury. Keeton went 3-4 last year before injury. Keeton went 3-4 last year before injury.

His backup went 6-1. That backup posted a bunch of 3-and-outs in the scrimmage Tuesday.

Keeton ended his season with a losing record last year, just in case you didn't get that.

:hi:

I haven't heard anyone mention what effect playing in front of a large
noisy crowd will have on USU. It hasn't been reported that they have
done anything to prepare for how loud it can get in Neyland. That
should also make some difference.

Think about what you just said, my friend.

Keeton went 3-4 last year before injury. Keeton went 3-4 last year before injury. Keeton went 3-4 last year before injury.

His backup went 6-1. That backup posted a bunch of 3-and-outs in the scrimmage Tuesday.

Keeton ended his season with a losing record last year, just in case you didn't get that.

:hi:

Just from looking at stats I doubt that record is a fair reflection of his talent. His td/int was 18/3. The year before his record was 11-2.

VN Store

Back