How many wins do we need to have a successful season in 2014?

How many wins are needed for 2014 to be a successful season for the Vols?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oregonvol

OK, let's do this one more time, right before the new season kicks off.

How many wins does Butch and co. need for this year to be a success? What are our standards at this point?

What say you, volnation?

Six minimum. We need to get back to a bowl game. We need the extra practices and we need real metrics to show recruits that we are indeed moving in the right direction. Not having a losing season and getting back to a bowl game is what needs to get done.

Reactions: 9 people
Six minimum. We need to get back to a bowl game. We need the extra practices and we need real metrics to show recruits that we are indeed moving in the right direction. Not having a losing season and getting back to a bowl game is what needs to get done.
Anything more than 6 without seeing 118 on the field against an opponent would be a serendipity is where my head is at.

By definition, what is needed for a winning season, you know .500 or better. Aaand since we play 12 games that would be 6. As 6 devided by 12 equals .500. You could do it by either long division, on a calculator, OR IN YER OWN HAID IF ANYONE TAUGHT YOU HOW TA CIPHER!

Ah ken cipher but spellin's problematic.

Reactions: 2 people
By definition, what is needed for a winning season, you know .500 or better. Aaand since we play 12 games that would be 6. As 6 devided by 12 equals .500. You could do it by either long division, on a calculator, OR IN YER OWN HAID IF ANYONE TAUGHT YOU HOW TA CIPHER!

I take it you are trying to insult me, but unfortunately, I do feel the need to point out to you that .500 is not, by definition, a winning season.

(6) in the regular season and (1) from the bowl game. Total of 7 to springboard us to 2015.

Biggest challenge for 2015 is who will be the starting q.b. I expect Dobbs will start the first few games and after the Florida game in 2015, Dormandy will take over. Dormandy should be an "EE" and have 8 months on campus to get prepared to take the job.

With the receivers that we have, we need a q.b. who can throw the ball not one that is a scat back who throws some of the time.

I voted 6 during regular season and make it to a bowl.

+ 1 W in a bowl would meet or slightly exceed my expectation depending on the hypothetical bowl opponent.

Are we doin all this figurin with the math I learned at UT or common core math? I might need a few extra days if it's the common core stuff.

BTW, 6.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd like to see us get to at least 7 wins. A bowl is a must, and winning there would get us to 7. Winning 7 in the regular season would be scaling the learning curve, so that's where I'm hoping we'll be.

If healthy, 7-5 regular season. After our schedule, we should be the best/most experienced 7-5 team in the country. The eighth win should come from an inferior opponent in a bowl game.

So, 8-5.

Not a cerebral answer, I admit...but 7 just feels like the minimum # that I would say could be termed successful. I realize that 6 will get us to a bowl. But I feel like we left 2 potential wins on the field last season. So 7 it is. All regular season or 6 regular + a bowl win. That will represent success to me.

Of course, I'm still hoping for 9 or more.

Meet expectations 5 wins

Successful season 6 wins.

Exceed expectations 7 wins

Your expectations are too low. Seven losses means that UT lost (again) to at least one team with less talent.

Six = meets expectations = success

Seven = exceeds expectations = above avg coach

Eight = far exceeds expectations = elite coach

More than 8 = WOW = re-name a street leading to the stadium "Butch's Way"

Last edited:
I want to see 12 competitive games. Sooooo many unknowns with Team 118, can't ever remember being this speculative on a season. 6 or 7 wins would mean two upsets, I believe in this class, if they fight for 4 Qtrs every game....they could be bowling this year. I am like the others, I don't want UT to be out coached, we can be out played, but not out coached.

I want to see 12 competitive games. Sooooo many unknowns with Team 118, can't ever remember being this speculative on a season. 6 or 7 wins would mean two upsets,
Based on what? Preseason speculation based on last year's results or something that actually matters?

UT will have FAR more talent than Vandy or Mizzou this fall. Based just on talent, a win against either will not be an upset.

I believe in this class, if they fight for 4 Qtrs every game....they could be bowling this year. I am like the others, I don't want UT to be out coached, we can be out played, but not out coached.
Losing 7 would mean that UT was outcoached at least once.

Kind of surprised that only two folks have said 5 or less so far.

Call me cynical, but I can't really believe that if the season ends and we're 5-7, most of volnation will be willing to declare it an unsuccessful year. Do you?

Meet expectations 5 wins

Successful season 6 wins.

Exceed expectations 7 wins

This. I say that assuming everything doesn't go awesome on the season as it relates to development or injuries because they rarely do. If we don't suffer the typical SEC injuries then all of this should be raised one game.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back