will our defense show up this year

ice

Pro 2A - GOA & NRA member
This concerns me more than anything about our team.
Do we have the talent and depth to compete against the good teams we will face this year.
Opposing teams running up 50 points on us is totally unacceptable.
Our offence can put up 30 points per game but, our defense will win the tough games.
Where is our defense at this point?.

Worried about DT, having nightmares of Gurley gouging us for 10yds at a time up the gut.

They're getting the year off in preperation for next years run at the SEC Title...Butch doesn't want anyone getting hurt. Johnson and Maggitt will redshirt

This concerns me more than anything about our team.
Do we have the talent and depth to compete against the good teams we will face this year.
Opposing teams running up 50 points on us is totally unacceptable.
Our offence can put up 30 points per game but, our defense will win the tough games.
Where is our defense at this point?.

Our secondary should be young but very talented and much faster than years past. Sutton/(Moseley/Gaulden/Williams) will be really good at corner with some combination of Randolph, Coleman, TKJr, Swafford, and Berry will really increase our speed at FS, SS, and NB. Since our DL will be limited in DT size and depth our LB's will really need to step up in run D up the middle and at the edge. IMO that will be our biggest weakness on D.

I saw a interview CJJ saying last year they could only pay vanilla defense, because lack of speed and skill. Hoping that they can play pressure football this year, said that's what really makes this Defense they play really go.

Reactions: 1 person
Multiple stunts and blitzes to take advantage of the speed that we finally have. I don't think that we will ask the Williams boys and others to just man up on their counterparts too often. They will be light and mobile.

Based on some of our horrid defensive ratings from last year (especially rushing D) there's only direction to go. We will definitely have more play makers on the field and another year using the same system, so I think our stats at the end of the year will be improved. Will it be enough, who knows?

I want to see them attack, attack and then attack some more! We're gonna give up some big plays either way but I'm sure we will make more big plays if we ATTACK!!!

I want to see them attack, attack and then attack some more! We're gonna give up some big plays either way but I'm sure we will make more big plays if we ATTACK!!!

Attack attack attack!

johnny-majors-fiery-speech-to-his-team-at-memphis-state1.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Exactly the way I feel about it. It's time to make things happen instead of sitting back waiting for something to happen.

We should be at least 5 points better per game than last year.

Secondary: Way better. Much smarter, much faster, much more reactive.
LBs: JRM, Bates, Weatherd, Bryant, Bynum and in time Jakob will be much better/faster than Sapp and Brewer ever were.
DE: Better, yes better! 3-5 studs ready, willing and able.
DT: Depth is an obvious concern. maybe a little worse, maybe just as good. By Mid-season...better.

Speed upgrade will be evident all over the field for us

Our secondary should be young but very talented and much faster than years past. Sutton/(Moseley/Gaulden/Williams) will be really good at corner with some combination of Randolph, Coleman, TKJr, Swafford, and Berry will really increase our speed at FS, SS, and NB. Since our DL will be limited in DT size and depth our LB's will really need to step up in run D up the middle and at the edge. IMO that will be our biggest weakness on D.

We are in much better shape at LB compared to last year with Sapp and Brewer. Plus we will play nickel a lot and only need two LBs then.

AJ, JRM, Bates, Weather, Bryant, Bynum and in time Jakob are much > AJ, Brewer, Sapp, Probst, etc.

We should be at least 5 points better per game than last year.

Secondary: Way better. Much smarter, much faster, much more reactive.
LBs: JRM, Bates, Weatherd, Bryant, Bynum and in time Jakob will be much better/faster than Sapp and Brewer ever were.
DE: Better, yes better! 3-5 studs ready, willing and able.
DT: Depth is an obvious concern. maybe a little worse, maybe just as good. By Mid-season...better.

Speed upgrade will be evident all over the field for us

I hope you are right. You almost have me convinced.

"10&2"

As everyone else has pointed out the true issue will be our run defense. As I, and many others have stated, it won't matter how much talent we have if Jancek calls games passive like he did last year. I understand last year talent wise was rough, especially in terms of team speed, but if we are going to give up 200 yards rushing a game lets atleast do it playing aggressive and trying to make something happen. Cover 2's and QB spy's all game will get us destroyed this year again, and Jancek will be finding himself a new place to coach by years end.

I watched a replay of the 2001 FL game, where Travis Stephens and the VOLS drained the swamp. In that game, the defense only had two line down in a stance while the rest were standing and moving around to confuse the FL offense. As a result, FL had almost as many sacks on Rex Grossman in that game than they had the entire rest of the season, including 30+ hurries.

If UT wants to be successful against FL and others again this year, they need to devise and implement multiple blitz packages like they did in that game. I hope Jancek and the rest of the defensive coaching staff go back and watch the replay of that game. Chief (at least for that game) was a GENIUS!

VN Store

Back