The big what if

rocktopper16

Don’t mind me, I’m just here for the meltdown.
I say this because I was talking with some neighbors (Auburn & Miami fans)

They kept asking me what if Butch has another losing season. I really didn't respond as I believe we get to 7 wins including our bowl game.

But,As rational as we are and how urgent we are to win. What if we have a losing season, What if we lose to the hated commodores. Will you still have faith in butch or will you be wanting answers.

Going 5-7 and losing to Vandy would signal a pretty significant step backwards for CBJ. If those were to happen some of the assistant coaches are going to have to be seriously reevaluated.

Going 5-7 in 2015 puts all of the coaches on the hot seat.

Now if we happen to have serious injury problems then maybe some passes can be given.

Would I lose faith in CBJ if we go 5-7 and lose to Vandy again? Not fully but I would seriously question his hiring of his assistants.

Reactions: 9 people
Its only yr 2. I personally didn't expect a complete turnaround that quickly. Give the guy some time to bring in and develop his players. JMO

Reactions: 24 people
Going 5-7 and losing to Vandy would signal a pretty significant step backwards for CBJ. If those were to happen some of the assistant coaches are going to have to be seriously reevaluated.

Now if we happen to have serious injury problems then maybe some passes can be given.

Would I lose faith in CBJ if we go 5-7 and lose to Vandy again? Not fully but I would seriously question his hiring of his assistants.

Spot on..

The 2015 season almost has to have a bowl game (pending no crazy injuries).

What if we have another losing season? Butch will receive a lot of criticism etc., but next year is the real season fans are looking at for real improvement. Losing this year would be very disappointing, but it doesn't impact Butch's security as much as 2015 will.

Reactions: 6 people
Another losing season wouldn't thrill me to say the least but it also wouldn't make me lose faith in Butch. We are one of the youngest teams in CFB. We also have one of the toughest schedules in CFB. Most of all we are replacing BOTH lines.

Butch has proven he can coach. USCjr and UGA is proof of that imo. Butch has more than proven he can recruit. Any level headed fan knows that he has got to be given the time he needs to restore us back to where we belong. It will happen but its not going to be this year. Kiffin and Dooley crashed and burned our program. Its going to take Butch at least another year or two to get us contending.

Patience is tough but very necessary. We are heading in the right direction but we still got a ways to go.

Reactions: 11 people
If we go 5-7 again, then there will have to be extenuating circumstances otherwise, like others have said, I'll seriously start to doubt his decisions on assistants.

I already know he can be a good head coach by everything he does and how he does it, but if we have a losing season the extent of the losses makes a difference. We need to look strong in all of our games and I think we will. The problem is we'll look like what we are. . . young.

There is a very real possibility that we start the season 2-3, or please the good Lord forbid, 1-4. If we end up 5-7, fans will have to look at how we won/lost, effort, and injuries, yada yada yada. I just hope the decision makers go about it rationally. No need to speak of hot seats in year 2.

We are the only team in big time college football that has to replace the entire O-line and D-line from last year. (thanks Dooley) If we was to go 5-7 I am not going to loose faith in Butch. Plus I think we play like 7 or 8 teams ranked in the top 25. A team like Ohio St plays 1 team ranked in the top 25.

Reactions: 5 people
I think we will see improvement this year but if not I'll still be fully behind Butch AND Staff. We have to remember they have very few upper class men to work with. I'm giving them all thru the 2016 season to find success.
For gods sake y'all gave Obama another chance after his first 4 years lol

Reactions: 10 people
what do you mean by what if ? i will be surprised if the Vols break even and make a bowl game,there are a lot of lofty expectations for CBJ and company this year,should there some improvements ? maybe,we all know how that is with a load of new players

could they lose to Vandy?at this point yes,it could happen,there is a lot of football to be played before then

CBJ needs to be given time,to coach up the fine recruits he is drawing in,I personally don't have any high hopes for this team till at least a couple of more years,

CBJ and company will need 4 years from now,to develop the players they have and to recruit some SEC depth ,so i say yes I have faith in CBJ,if he is given the time

but our fans aren't going to give him the time ,there are a lot on this board that are expecting 7 wins for this year or more,which there is nothing wrong with optimism ,but a realistic view is needed,along with some time

Reactions: 4 people
If he goes 5 - 7 and still retains the recruiting class / finish well, I think that is a "pass" for the year.

If he goes 6 - 6 or above, that sets up really well for 2015.

If he goes 4 -8, he is an automatic hot seat candidate for next year!

In major college football, the head coach's seat is always warm. Another losing season would approach hot. The bottom line is winning and I don't see a hot seat coming!

GO BIG ORANGE!

For this year
5-7 maybe a few raising hell
4-8 the majority will express displeasure

3-9 that will wake up the dead

For next year anything less than a bowl game will certainly put a major stress on the 2016 season.

Reactions: 1 person
If he land k Mac and Tuttle. Plus all the other talented people he has coming in. No matter what he does this year or next. He will coach the 2016 season. 2016 will be the year we educate the east and whomever else is unlucky enough to play us. Please have some patience guys.

Reactions: 3 people
There will be no hotseat for Butch Jones anytime soon. Even if he were to go 5-7 this year, he's still safe. I'd say he'll have things turned around before that seat gets even a little warm. Recruits love him. Everything else will fall into place with time.

Reactions: 2 people
I really don't see how going 5-7 would be a huge step backward. We are probably in a more challenging position this year than last, having to replace entirely both lines. Anything better I think would be indicative of an overachievement with that schedule. For those thinking 7+ wins, I have a feeling you'll be sorely disappointed. Better times are coming, but this year will be another tough one unless Worley learns to throw a 7 yard slant & these freshman contribute way above expectations in year one.

I will be disappointed with another losing situation, but I also recognize what a tough situation Butch walked into. Next year we should begin to increase those expectations though.

There will be no hotseat for Butch Jones anytime soon. Even if he were to go 5-7 this year, he's still safe. I'd say he'll have things turned around before that seat gets even a little warm. Recruits love him. Everything else will fall into place with time.

Agree

How about 5-7 and the better part of the current recruiting class decommits? If that happens, I think we're in the same situation as we were with Dooley going into his 3rd season.

What if we have another losing season? Butch will receive a lot of criticism etc., but next year is the real season fans are looking at for real improvement. Losing this year would be very disappointing, but it doesn't impact Butch's security as much as 2015 will.

Probably true in spite of the fact that he will be starting a true freshman QB. The rest of the positions will be big, strong, fast and experienced. We must have a SEC caliber QB if we are going to come close to winning the SEC.

Another losing season wouldn't thrill me to say the least but it also wouldn't make me lose faith in Butch. We are one of the youngest teams in CFB. We also have one of the toughest schedules in CFB. Most of all we are replacing BOTH lines.

Butch has proven he can coach. USCjr and UGA is proof of that imo. Butch has more than proven he can recruit. Any level headed fan knows that he has got to be given the time he needs to restore us back to where we belong. It will happen but its not going to be this year. Kiffin and Dooley crashed and burned our program. Its going to take Butch at least another year or two to get us contending.

Patience is tough but very necessary. We are heading in the right direction but we still got a ways to go.
Fair enough although some of us think his 2014 signing class was a fish in the barrel situation with so many highly rated legacies and in state prospects. He's definitely harnessed the momentum of the 2014 class when pursuing the 2015 class but I'm not sure that I want to test the loyalty of our current commitments with another losing season. As to coaching, as good as SC & UGA were, VU was atrocious enough that it's not unreasonable to say that the jury is still out.

let's just hope for 6-6 or better and hope we can avoid the issue. Youth and the schedule will make it very tough but it's not impossible.

How about 5-7 and the better part of the current recruiting class decommits? If that happens, I think we're in the same situation as we were with Dooley going into his 3rd season.

I didn't even consider recruiting. That makes this season even more critical. I just don't see how CBJ could continue to sell recruits coming here with another 5-7 season. I think recruits are going to need to see improvement. This season needs to go 6-6.

I say this because I was talking with some neighbors (Auburn & Miami fans)

They kept asking me what if Butch has another losing season. I really didn't respond as I believe we get to 7 wins including our bowl game.

But,As rational as we are and how urgent we are to win. What if we have a losing season, What if we lose to the hated commodores. Will you still have faith in butch or will you be wanting answers.

We go for broke next year. Everyone knows this season is like walking on thin ice. We might make it or we could fall in. Let's be happy with the great class that is here and a not so shabby class coming in (fingers crossed). We have all said over and over next year is the real deal. Let's hope for 6 and a bowl. Anything else is a bonus. A 5 -7 season is not the end of the world again just will sting like a hornet. GBO

VN Store

Back