Shots fired by Washington- Claim to have better "sailgating"

That's a beautiful setting, but how much closer can it possibly be than in Knoxville. The River is about 100 yards from Neyland and Volunteer a Landing can't be more than about a couple hundred yards away.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't you just love how much research DOES NOT go into some of these articles? The author of this piece, Pete Volk, states that both stadiums "were built within two years of each other ([Husky Stadium in 1889, Neyland Stadium] in 1891)." Needless to say, he was wrong by more than 30 years on both counts. Those may well have been the inaugural years for the two football programs, but Husky Stadium first became the home of the Washington Huskies in the final game of the 1920 season, whereas our first game at Shields-Watkins Field occurred on Sept. 24, 1921.

Furthermore, I have no idea when "sailgating" became a tradition associated with Washington football, but the Vol Navy did not set sail until 1962, when George Mooney, John Ward's immediate predecessor, first began to travel to Neyland Stadium by boat (UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Fans).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Don't you just love how much research DOES NOT go into some of these articles? The author of this piece, Pete Volk, states that both stadiums "were built within two years of each other ([Husky Stadium in 1889, Neyland Stadium] in 1891)." Needless to say, he was wrong by more than 30 years on both counts. Those may well have been the inaugural years for the two football programs, but Husky Stadium first became the home of the Washington Huskies in the final game of the 1920 season, whereas our first game at Shields-Watkins Field occurred on Sept. 24, 1921.

Research takes effort. Why not just post a bunch of garbage to get people stirred up?

Reactions: 1 person
Even though they claim to be bigger and better (which I don't believe) this is still great publicity. Besides our big power boats leave their little sissy sailboats in our wash.

Research takes effort. Why not just post a bunch of garbage to get people stirred up?

Typical slimy and incompetent "reporter". To hell with the facts, just stir the pot. The media minions are one step lower than politicians and lawyers--and that's saying something.

Op's headline had me worried with all that is going on in Missouri. Now 2 unfortunate incidents just a few miles from one another. Glad to see it is about boating. I don't think Knoxville can compare to Seattle, but since it involves football, we have them.

Somebody should have pulled their head out of their arse before having multiple scrotem polls stuck up it. Now they have dain bramage!

The sailgating experience includes the football team, the stadium, the fans, etc.

Being pelted in the rain 20 hours a day isn't superior sailgating...they don't know jack about BBQ (closest is Santa Maria, CA), Husky stadium is hideous.

And we probably won about 300 more games than them.

Smokey would whip dat husky's azz!

Last edited:
Well, the authors must read VN. They edited the text to reflect the proper dates of stadium construction.

VolNation; providing well researched materials for piss poor reporters around the world.

Reactions: 6 people
Even though they claim to be bigger and better (which I don't believe) this is still great publicity. Besides our big power boats leave their little sissy sailboats in our wash.

Woooo GBO!!! Vfl!! Power Boats those hippies had best Red-Neckognize

Their boats are bobbing on a little ocean bay while the Vol Navy has to negotiate a moving river at all times. Vol Navy has superior boaters and you can belee dat.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back