Jashon Robertson to start at RG

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Butch just said he won the job over camp and will be the starter.

Reactions: 20 people
Also the kicker job is still wide open according to Butch.

I'm interested to see how athletic Jashon is. We know he's crazy strong as a true freshman, I'm just excited to see how he does against USU playing at the pace we want, pulling, helping on screens, etc. Him and Jackson can be a great guard duo.

This is amazing!...some are going to blame it on past recruiting woes...I think this kid just took it!! :aggressive:

Reactions: 10 people
Wow! Don't know whether that is due to how good he is or how bad some others are. I thought CT was a lock at tackle. Gives Weisman some time to heal. At least they are getting some depth.

Also, I always thought Kerbyson looked more like a tackle. Now if Blair can step it up they'll have a good two deep across the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I'm interested to see how athletic Jashon is. We know he's crazy strong as a true freshman, I'm just excited to see how he does against USU playing at the pace we want, pulling, helping on screens, etc. Him and Jackson can be a great guard duo.

Worried about tackles but the guards will be road graders.

Reactions: 2 people
Where's the rest of the depth charts? I'm so anxious to see the full depth charts announced. Robertson has proven that he's the right one in camp. Congrads to him!

This is not surprising at all. Kid comes from a tough, disciplined high level program at MBA. Same with Barnett from BA on the DL.

These kids came from a different level of high school football. They were playing in high school against other kids closer to their same size and strength meaning the adjustment wasn't as great for them as a lot of high school linemen. They are obviously intelligent kids as well to make it through those schools academically.

Getting these kids is great for this program as they will be 3 or 4 year starters and at least All-SEC caliber players. Just like when Scott Wells came to UT from BA, took over as a starter at C during his Freshman year and never gave up his spot. Robertson may end up being the best lineman on this team before the end of the season and certainly into next year.

Reactions: 3 people
Worried about tackles but the guards will be road graders.

Even if Moseley ends up winning the starting CB spot, this would end up as this year's version of Cam Sutton...non EE-true freshman shows up...balls out...and starts from the get go...oh!...let's not discount the 3* angle...HEY NATIONDOM!!!

Reactions: 2 people
This is not good news, this is great news. Helps with the overall flexibility of the O-line. The staff already knew Kerbyson was capable at RT. They isolated the issues and used him inside at G to work on the other OT's. As Robertson emerged, that freed their hand to move him back out. Weisman is the guard/center back-up. That leaves the other OT to be determined. With Thomas, Kendrick and Sanders available, once the Gilliam/Blair decision is made the 2 deep will be set.

Blair,Jackson,Crowder,Robertson and Kerbyson. Sounds good..the crunch bunch..just give 1 a crease and watch his number get smaller and smaller.

The interior is full of strong dudes that can road grade. Jashon is a stud. I feel better about having a freshman guard than a freshman tackle. Not a lot of guys stronger than jashon even upperclassman. He will hold his own just fine.

This is not good news, this is great news. Helps with the overall flexibility of the O-line. The staff already knew Kerbyson was capable at RT. They isolated the issues and used him inside at G to work on the other OT's. As Robertson emerged, that freed their hand to move him back out. Weisman is the guard/center back-up. That leaves the other OT to be determined. With Thomas, Kendrick and Sanders available, once the Gilliam/Blair decision is made the 2 deep will be set.

I am a bit surprised that Coleman Thomas isn't in the starting rotation. He was receiving alot of praise earlier in camp, esp. Due to his overall athleticism.

4 of the 5 starters on the line (as of today) are Tennessee boys: Gilliam, Crowder, Robertson, and Kerbyson! Go back and look up some the o-lines we had in 90's-early 2000's and multiple starting o-lines were filled with in-state kids.

After 2001 that trend changed and so did our program. Coincidence? Who knows.

VN Store

Back