Vols' DL driven to exceed expectations

kamoshika

"We've had a chip on our shoulder," defensive tackle Danny O'Brien said following Monday's practice, "ever since we were predicted to be the worst defensive line and worst offensive line in the country. I know Coach [Butch] Jones told us that as soon as we came out for training camp, and we let that drive us.

"I love hearing that. I love being the underdog, because they're not going to know we're coming, and we're coming hard."

UT Vols' defensive linemen admit to extra drive | Times Free Press

Reactions: 8 people
One thing that has been lacking the last several seasons is a consistent pass rush. If we can get a good push out of our D-line this year, I expect to see our talented secondary make some big plays

Reactions: 1 person
I've heard this rah rah speech for about 5 years or better. I'm ready for some players to back the truck up and unload the bricks for real. On game day.

Reactions: 4 people
Question is, do guys like O'Brien, Jordan Williams and the other DTs have enough physical ability for the chip on the shoulders to matter?

Reactions: 7 people
with the lack of size in the middle, power teams could gash that line badly. Look for improved pass rush but they will have to prove that they can stop the run up the gut. I sure hope they can but I'm not optimistic.

Question is, do guys like O'Brien, Jordan Williams and the other DTs have enough physical ability for the chip on the shoulders to matter?

I'm not sure individually they do but I am hoping that as a group they can get the damn thing done. We should have better coverage to buy them time, speed on and behind the line to makeup for mistakes, and one more year of the scheme in place. That means many of the key ingredients are coming together for the line to be improved.

with the lack of size in the middle, power teams could gash that line badly. Look for improved pass rush but they will have to prove that they can stop the run up the gut. I sure hope they can but I'm not optimistic.

I just hope guys like AJ help in that regard. He's suited to the run. We have a decent blend of talent we'll see if they put it all together. The speed on the backside I think helps a lot.

Even if they get blown up a bit by the larger teams I'm just excited to see some high motor guys getting after it this year. We had all that damn size last year but did little with it. Auburn straight humiliated us.

I just hope guys like AJ help in that regard. He's suited to the run. We have a decent blend of talent we'll see if they put it all together. The speed on the backside I think helps a lot.

He most certainly can help as long as the tackles aren't getting railroaded into him.

we got gashed with a 350lb pounder in there too. Atleast we wont be the slowest d Line in America. Outside of McCullers nobody is really any smaller than last years line. Mo Couch didnt play. Dan Hood played in the middle at about 275lbs even though his 1993 neckroll made him look heavier. Walls was barely 270lb last year. We really arent any smaller other than McCullers who did nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
we got gashed with a 350lb pounder in there too. Atleast we wont be the slowest d Line in America. Outside of McCullers nobody is really any smaller than last years line. Mo Couch didnt play. Dan Hood played in the middle at about 275lbs. Walls was barely 270lb last year. We really arent any smaller other than McCullers who did nothing.

Happened more on the outside than the inside with McCullers. McCullers was the starter and played a ton of snaps, no one is near 300 this season. Therefore, smaller. Plus, those weights on the site are a bit inflated. I've seen them up close, I would be a bit surprised if they were what they are listed as. The tackles are much more athletic, and the potential is there, but they will have to go out and prove that they can. Not saying they can't, but a less than stellar Vol o-line is beating them up the middle right now in practice. Not saying it will be worse than last year, but it could be.

Happened more on the outside than the inside with McCullers. McCullers was the started and played a ton of snaps, no one is near 300 this season. Therefore, smaller. Plus, those weights on the site are a bit inflated. I've seen them up close, I would be a bit surprised if they were what they are listed as. The tackles are much more athletic, and the potential is there, but they will have to go out and prove that they can. Not saying they can't, but a less than stellar Vol o-line is beating them up the middle right now in practice. Not saying it will be worse than last year, but it could be.

Saulsberry is close to 300. He will be back.It may have happened on the outside more but it happened on the inside too. You dont have to be enormous. Tons of the better DTs in the college game every yr are in the 285-290 range. Ill take the athleticism right now ive seen enough of the big and slow DL.

Saulsberry is close to 300. He will be back.It may have happened on the outside more but it happened on the inside too. You dont have to be enormous. Tons of the better DTs in the college game every yr are in the 285-290 range. Ill take the athleticism right now ive seen enough of the big and slow DL.

I'm not saying that you have to be enormous at all. I think some of the larger ones rely on that too much and let their technique falter and they get beat. As far as Saulsberry goes, I hope he gets healthy quickly and comes back firing on all cylinders because they need him, but I'm not counting on a guy that doesn't stay healthy. I wasn't at all saying these tackles can't perform well or won't perform well. They absolutely can and I hope that they do, I'm just saying it is a major concern.

I've heard this rah rah speech for about 5 years or better. I'm ready for some players to back the truck up and unload the bricks for real. On game day.

And I have heard this, nothing is ever good enough junk since I became a UT fan..

Winning the east every 2-3 years and going to the SEC championship wasn't good enough.

Averaging 10 wins a year wasn't good enough.

Well now we have had how many LOSING seasons in a row and our fan base is praying we even make it to a bowl game this year.

And these same people who nothing is ever good enough for, still say firing CPF was the right move.. they still say nothing is good enough, and are already making a case to go coach searching again.

Thanks but no thanks.. all of you who are tired of hearing about how we are getting better.. and just want to "win now, no more excuses".

Go follow a different team that does not have to dig themselves out of a hole that you put them in, in the first place.

Because the winningest coach in CFB wasn't good enough.

I'm not sure individually they do but I am hoping that as a group they can get the damn thing done. We should have better coverage to buy them time, speed on and behind the line to makeup for mistakes, and one more year of the scheme in place. That means many of the key ingredients are coming together for the line to be improved.

Good points, can't disagree. We're improved everywhere else on D. My biggest concern is other teams just lining up and running it down our throats if we're not physical enough up the middle.

All the talk of players bringing it, but since the offseason started I've been calling for more risk taking play calling from Jancek. I don't want to see anymore cover 2 QB spy defenses with a 3 or 4 man pass rush on a 3rd and 4. We need to bring it. The more passive we play on defense the more points we will give up. Our defense will win us games being aggressive or lose them playing passive zones with no pass rush. With JRM, AJ, Maggit, Bates, Elliot, Weatherd, Hendrix, Barnett, Vereen, and Jakob we have no excuses to not contain the edge and produce a solid pass rush if they all stay healthy.

And I have heard this, nothing is ever good enough junk since I became a UT fan..

Winning the east every 2-3 years and going to the SEC championship wasn't good enough.

Averaging 10 wins a year wasn't good enough.

Well now we have had how many LOSING seasons in a row and our fan base is praying we even make it to a bowl game this year.

And these same people who nothing is ever good enough for, still say firing CPF was the right move.. they still say nothing is good enough, and are already making a case to go coach searching again.

Thanks but no thanks.. all of you who are tired of hearing about how we are getting better.. and just want to "win now, no more excuses".

Go follow a different team that does not have to dig themselves out of a hole that you put them in, in the first place.

Because the winningest coach in CFB wasn't good enough.

BULLSHIZ!!! Did you happen to see how many people turned out for a PRACTICE? For a team with 4 straight horrible seasons? Let ANY team in the nation fall off the map the way we have and see where there fan base is? I guarantee you it won't be at the stadium! Blame the fan first mentality I can't stand. These guys get paid millions to coach SPORTS. The fans have endured increase in cost of going to games over the years and decrease in product and still show up. Come on man!

As long as we can get off the blocks, we can defend the run just fine. It'll be a huge concern if we can't get off the blocks.

BULLSHIZ!!! Did you happen to see how many people turned out for a PRACTICE? For a team with 4 straight horrible seasons? Let ANY team in the nation fall off the map the way we have and see where there fan base is? I guarantee you it won't be at the stadium! Blame the fan first mentality I can't stand. These guys get paid millions to coach SPORTS. The fans have endured increase in cost of going to games over the years and decrease in product and still show up. Come on man!

Im confused as to what point your trying to make, my post was about the insta gratification crowd that think we can magically go to winning championships immediately without walking the path it takes to get there..

It doesn't work that way, and just continues the rest of the country laughing at us.. it started when we fired CPF and hasn't stopped since.. and posts like those are why.

What your talking about I don't know, but I never said we didn't also have the best most passionate fans either. The numbers we turn out despite performance is amazing.

But we need to marry the two... have some patience to give Jones the time he needs, without idiots starting fire coach websites and blasting social media with complete junk..and yet still be passionate enough to fill the stands while we wait for greatness to happen.

VN Store

Back