Track star Williams turning heads at cornerback

kamoshika

No one would put it past Tennessee’s Butch Jones — or any other college football coach, for that matter — to put a lesser-known player ahead of an assumed starter on the depth chart to motivate the latter.

The closer it gets to the Vols’ Aug. 31 season opener against Utah State, though, the more it looks like Jones is simply trying to get his best 11 players on the field on each side of the ball.

In other words, third-year sophomore walk-on cornerback Michael Williams’ current spot atop the depth chart over talented freshman Emmanuel Moseley looks more like a legitimate reward for the two-sport athlete from Maryland than a motivational tactic aimed at the newcomer who previous held the top spot.

UT Vols track star Michael Williams turning heads at cornerback

Reactions: 10 people
I have been reading about him running with the 1's, but I honestly had no idea who he was. Thanks for posting, its a good story.

Difficult to keep a guy with that kind of speed off the field. Even if his skills are raw.

Reactions: 1 person
and now for what you didn't know. Michael Williams lead recruiter at Maryland was James Franklin. Whatever you think about Franklin he had a good eye for db's.

Reactions: 3 people
When does that cast he wears on his left hand come off?

Not sure when the cast comes off, but listening to Hyams today, I believe I understood him to say he recently broke his thumb. I had no idea.

One of my favorite dbacks ever was Jonathan Wade and I think he was a track guy initially as well. he seemed to just have a knack for finding the ball and was incredibly fast. Here's to hoping we found another one. We need all the speed we can get back there

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
One of my favorite dbacks ever was Jonathan Wade and I think he was a track guy initially as well. We seemed to just have a knack for finding the ball and was incredibly fast. Here's to hoping we found another one. We need all the speed we can get back there

Your recollection of J Wade is vastly different from mine.

Reactions: 8 people
Your recollection of J Wade is vastly different from mine.

I thought he was good late in his career here. Seems like I remember him having a pick 6 that was crucial in a big game for us and had some timely plays. All in his final year. And he was 2nd team all sec. He was never Eric berry or anything, but as far as track guys playing dback... I'd certainly take another Jonathan Wade

Reactions: 3 people
This staff is developing players and will get the most out of their talent. Coaching!

From the big east. Can't coach in the SEC. Didn't get to a bowl game in the first year. Couldn't coach the NFL talent we had on the field last year. Waiting on Gruden.

From the big east. Can't coach in the SEC. Didn't get to a bowl game in the first year. Couldn't coach the NFL talent we had on the field last year. Waiting on Gruden.

You left out a couple on your list, SECC, and NC in the first year. He did not do either of those with our plethora of NFL talent.

Blue font runs deeply through my post.

We all love Jones, but this kid is playing because of his hard work and talent. He chose to run track instead of have a scholarship at football somewhere else after all.

Every point you make supports the statement that you are disagreeing with, IMO.

I didn't know this kids brother plays safety for the 49ers. The more I read on this guy, the more excited I become.

I've noticed this is the second article in the past week where one of the players talks about another players "toolbox". It's something CBJ says all of the time. Nice to see that these kids are buying in to what CBJ is selling. They are all becoming one mind, one team. Can't wait to see the results. This is going to be a fun ride kids.

One of my favorite dbacks ever was Jonathan Wade and I think he was a track guy initially as well. he seemed to just have a knack for finding the ball and was incredibly fast. Here's to hoping we found another one. We need all the speed we can get back there

I'd rather have Brent Vinson or even Denis Rogen but yes J wade was talented

VN Store

Back