Vols manufacturing O-line depth

kamoshika

The Vols have had to move freshman Jashon Robertson from third-team defensive tackle to first-team right guard, they’ve had to play versatile junior Kyler Kerbyson all over the place and they’ve had to look at anyone and everyone who can deliver a shotgun snap somewhere in the vicinity of the quarterbacks’ hands.

But little of that — if any of it — has been a surprise, Jones said after Monday’s final preseason camp practice.

“It’s about what we expected,” Jones said. “It’s not so much the search. It’s having depth, and when you’re limited with not much depth, we want to be able to move players around, because it’s all about putting the best five on the field. And if we can have individuals like Coleman Thomas — who knows center, who knows guard, who knows tackle — that helps the overall depth.

“When you don’t have depth by overall numbers, you have to get it by, you know, players who can play multiple positions up front. And that’s what we’re attempting to do.”

Tennessee Vols football manufacturing offensive line depth

Reactions: 3 people
The Vols have had to move freshman Jashon Robertson from third-team defensive tackle to first-team right guard, they’ve had to play versatile junior Kyler Kerbyson all over the place and they’ve had to look at anyone and everyone who can deliver a shotgun snap somewhere in the vicinity of the quarterbacks’ hands.

But little of that — if any of it — has been a surprise, Jones said after Monday’s final preseason camp practice.

“It’s about what we expected,” Jones said. “It’s not so much the search. It’s having depth, and when you’re limited with not much depth, we want to be able to move players around, because it’s all about putting the best five on the field. And if we can have individuals like Coleman Thomas — who knows center, who knows guard, who knows tackle — that helps the overall depth.

“When you don’t have depth by overall numbers, you have to get it by, you know, players who can play multiple positions up front. And that’s what we’re attempting to do.”

Tennessee Vols football manufacturing offensive line depth

Just like the good ole days! Go Vols!!

The success of this season hinges on the health of this group. If they stay healthy and get better every week we are looking at winning season and mid level bowl berth. Otherwise, we're looking at another 5-7 year.
:good!:

Reactions: 1 person
we found a gem in Robertson though. Kid is a bull. Saw where his bench press total reps for 225lbs would have put him in the top 10 at the NFL Combine this yr. Kid is a freshman. Understands leverage and hands from being a state champ wrestler.

Reactions: 6 people
we found a gem in Robertson though. Kid is a bull. Saw where his bench press total reps for 225lbs would have put him in the top 10 at the NFL Combine this yr. Kid is a freshman. Understands leverage and hands from being a state champ wrestler.

I don't know if this is good news or bad news though. I mean a 3rd team freshman defensive tackle moves over and then is almost immediately starting? Kind of scary. He might be that good but still kind of scary.

maybe hes that good and i think some of it had to do with Thomas hitting a wall a little bit. JR always seemed like more of a Guard than DT. I still think the O Line is not quite as bad as some on here make it out to be. I understand the fear of the unknown though.

Last edited:
Avoiding injuries will be a huge factor for the O-line and the rest of the offense. That was a major factor in FLs train wreck last year..... :)

Reactions: 1 person
Season goes as the O-line goes. Doubt we can play against top tier teams this thin as a unit. Hide it with tempo and hopefully improved TE play will help.

maybe hes that good and i think some of it had to do with Thomas hitting a wall a little bit. JR always seemed like more of a Guard than DT. I still think the O Line is not quite as bad as some on here make it out to be. I understand the fear of the unknown though.

FWIW I think the staff always knew Robertson would be a hell of a guard for us. A few recruiting services even had him listed as an OG and not a DT. But they told him they'd give him a shot at DT and had to stick to their word.

FWIW I think the staff always knew Robertson would be a hell of a guard for us. A few recruiting services even had him listed as an OG and not a DT. But they told him they'd give him a shot at DT and had to stick to their word.

i agree. hes a hoss man. Im excited about him.

Manufacturing depth = Derek Dooley is an idiot.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Manufacturing depth = Derek Dooley is an idiot.

Speaking of, I've not heard anyone talk about this but I believe it was Dooley's final recruiting class he didn't take a single offensive lineman. Everyone thought it was stupid then but he said we had way too many then. Turns out, everyone but Dooley was right.

Unfortunately,

An NFL QB and two NFL WRs - 45
Butch Jones - 23

Which worried me from the beginning. Dooley also had a decidedly better first season taking us to a bowl game where we got robbed. After 5-7, I'm hoping Jones is the man, but I'm waiting on wins.

Had to fix your post.

Reactions: 2 people
Had to fix your post.

Whatever makes you feel better. Dooley's 5-7 team smoked a team that Butch coached to a 10-3 record and a bowl win over Vandy. The same Vandy team that we squeaked out an OT win against. Arguably, Dooley beat a Jones team that had more talent than his own.

Another thing, Butch losing to Muschamp last year, and the worst UF team they've had in about 30 years down there.

But I'll give him the win over SC and Spurrier.

Last edited:
I expect the O-line to struggle this season, but really happy with the development of Jashon Robertson. I know we still haven't seen the guy play at O-line, but Butch & Co's seem to have ability to find gems on the recruiting trail. Already seeing signs that he's uncovered quite a few in just a year and a half.

Also worth noting that Butch & Co appear to be much better at player development than that guy that was here before.

VN Store

Back