Ole Miss game info for 1st timer?

towsermurhpy

Hey y'all,
I realize I may be way too late, but I'm looking into going to the Ole Miss game, as I've never been to Oxford for a game or otherwise. Always heard what an experience it is. As expected, most all rooms in Oxford are sold out. I would appreciate any insight into going there as a visitor. Good options for rooms/tailgating options/etc. I appreciate it!

Reactions: 4 people
For real though.. You will have a blast! Check for rooms in Southaven, Ms or Olive Branch Ms. it's a short drive to the Grove. No luck there then try my 2 home Tunica, Ms. Have fun!

I've never been, but this this one of my must-do tailgating destinations. I've heard that the Ole Miss fans are generally pretty cool in the grove, and that it's genuinely one big nice party and everyone's invited, unless you're a Miss. St. fan. :)

Reactions: 1 person
Hey y'all,
I realize I may be way too late, but I'm looking into going to the Ole Miss game, as I've never been to Oxford for a game or otherwise. Always heard what an experience it is. As expected, most all rooms in Oxford are sold out. I would appreciate any insight into going there as a visitor. Good options for rooms/tailgating options/etc. I appreciate it!

And welcome to the board. You get your first like. :hi:

Reactions: 4 people
I lived in Oxford for a while. Batesville, MS is the next closest town, and on the way to I-55. If you're headed the other way, you can try Tupelo, MS. Both of those towns have some food options and several decent hotels. After that the next closest real option is the Memphis area (this would include Olive Branch & Southaven). Memphis is about 1-1.5 hours from Oxford, and will have a room available for sure. You could also check out Beale St and have some amazing BBQ while you're there. But don't drive drunk to Memphis. You do not want to be pulled over by the MS police for any reason.

You want to tailgate in the Grove. There are no other (good) options, and it is truly a unique experience. However, I do recommend you go to the town square afterwards and get a meal/drink. I personally like Ajax and the Italian place (can't remember name). A lot of people also like Doe's Eat Place and City Grocery.

FWIW, the women are truly amazing to behold. Been to many games around the country and the South and Ole Miss takes the prize for beautiful women....just don't speak to any of them. :swoon3:

Saw us win there in 04 & lose in 09. Great time both games. Oxford is a place everyone should go to a game at least once. Nice people, beautiful girls, fancy tailgating. MSU must be so jealous of them! I stayed in Tupelo once & Memphis once. Neither is that far. Alabama, Florida & LSU fans should be required to take CLASS lessons from OM fans!

Everyone says tailgate at the grove. I'm not hauling my set up down there, so I'm assuming you mean just walk through the Grove?

I just bought tickets last week off stubhub, probably over paid but we are in section L (around the 20) 5 rows off the field. We booked a room for 2 nights in Tunica. It is around a 1.5 hour drive they say. For 2 tickets and two nights we are in for around $500. Really looking forward to it and hopefully run into some Vols. I have the same question about the grove, do you haul all your stuff down there and start cooking or do you hope to run into some hospitable fans and join up with a monetary contribution?

I will hang up and listen.

Reactions: 1 person
Wear sunglasses if you're going to the game with your wife.

If you decide to stay near Memphis, I'd recommend Olive Branch. It will save a little time on your drive to and from Oxford on gameday versus staying somewhere in east Memphis.

My daughter graduated from Ole Miss so I've been to the Grove a couple of times - we were with her and her friends so all we had to do was show up! :) I'll try to attach a link to a video that may give you a feel for what it's like there...

I'm looking to go down for the game as well. I understand that they stake out their spot Thursday or Friday at midnight in the grove? I don't think I'll be down for that but I'd love to find a few Vol fans to pitch a tent next to.

Hopefully the week of the game some of us Vol fans making the trip can exchange info and claim some tailgating real estate in one of the most famous spot in the country.

Hopefully the week of the game some of us Vol fans making the trip can exchange info and claim some tailgating real estate in one of the most famous spot in the country.

Agreed. Right next to these fine Mississippi honeys that I keep hearing about.

I've been to Oxford countless times. I have family members that went to school there that have season tickets. A few times each season, pending when UT plays, I tag along. The grove, eye candy, food, and atmosphere is just too much of a sight to behold to pass up.

Good places to eat are Ajax, Abners Famous Chicken Tenders, and City Grocery. All are on the square or near the square. Ajax is my favorite. It's some of the best comfort food that I've eaten.

Since I live in Memphis, I don't have to worry about where to stay. However, a good suggestion would be that if you choose to stay in Memphis, stay in Collierville or somewhere east. It's a good route to Oxford. Take Byhalia Road in Collierville due south to Byhalia, MS, where you will hop on 78 to Holly Springs and then hop on 7 south in Holly Springs, which will take you to Oxford. You can make it to Oxford from Collierville in roughly an hour, depending on traffic.

I hope I've been of some assistance. I'm looking forward to running into many fans in October!

Gordonr24...I google mapped it from Tunica but how is that drive in to Oxford? We are staying in Goldstrike for 2 nights and you sound like you are familiar.

Places to eat: Ribcage, Lenora's (best whiskey drink in town), Boure, & Snackbar. Be sure to go to the square to get dinner extra early. Every place will be at least an hour wait and they stop serving food around 10. My suggestion is to go to boure and go to the upstairs bar/patio that overlooks the square while you wait to eat.
Gameday: make sure you put every alcoholic beverage in a cup. University police get a chubby if they catch someone with an open container. For parking if you can't find a spot on campus, there is a church on Jackson Ave. that lets you park if you make a donation plus they have a shuttle that will take you all the way up to the grove.
A majority of Rebels fans are very respectful and courteous and will invite you into their tents.

Gordonr24...I google mapped it from Tunica but how is that drive in to Oxford? We are staying in Goldstrike for 2 nights and you sound like you are familiar.

I've never been on that stretch coming into Oxford from the west. I always take Highway 78 to Holly Springs and Highway 7 south to Oxford. There's not a lot of traffic, most of the time. The worst I encountered was 09 Tennessee, when there were a lot of cars exiting 78 to merge onto 7, but we were also only 2 hours out from gametime. I don't think you'll have any issues getting there from Tunica, but I do suggest that you leave early as traffic in and around Oxford can get pretty bad on gamedays.

As for parking, I park at the water tower on University Ave. It's free, but it's first come first served. Most of the time, I'm able to find a spot.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back