ALS Ice Bucket Challege - Coach Jones

CA_Vol

As many of you have probably seen, the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has thankfully become a national phenomena and has raised a ton of money for the cause. My dad, a UT grad and the biggest fan I know, is fighting the disease and was interviewed by WBIR this week to discuss the challenge. At the end of the interview, my folks called out Coach Jones to participate!

I can't tell you enough how great UT has been for my family. We attended last years Auburn game, and UT worked so hard to make sure my dad had the best experience possible. And because he is doing so well in his fight against ALS, UT is doing the same this year for Utah State. I'll be flying in from CA to attend and cheer on our boys!

Also, two years ago, Devrin Young came to the Knoxville ALS walk to support my dad's team (as a fellow Bearden grad). I thought it was an amazing statement about the character of Devrin as a man, to spend a bye week Saturday at a charity event for a man he's never met, but also about the culture Coach Jones is building here.

I just wanted everyone to know what a great program we root for. I know we all get caught up in the intensity of wins & losses, but to see how UT has been wiling to help give my dad more memories at the school he loves so much, means everything to us.

I'll attach the link below, and we'll see if Coach Jones takes the challenge!

Ice Bucket Challenge more than laughs for family battling disease

GO VOLS!!!!

Reactions: 38 people
As many of you have probably seen, the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has thankfully become a national phenomena and has raised a ton of money for the cause. My dad, a UT grad and the biggest fan I know, is fighting the disease and was interviewed by WBIR this week to discuss the challenge. At the end of the interview, my folks called out Coach Jones to participate!

I can't tell you enough how great UT has been for my family. We attended last years Auburn game, and UT worked so hard to make sure my dad had the best experience possible. And because he is doing so well in his fight against ALS, UT is doing the same this year for Utah State. I'll be flying in from CA to attend and cheer on our boys!

Also, two years ago, Devrin Young came to the Knoxville ALS walk to support my dad's team (as a fellow Bearden grad). I thought it was an amazing statement about the character of Devrin as a man, to spend a bye week Saturday at a charity event for a man he's never met, but also about the culture Coach Jones is building here.

I just wanted everyone to know what a great program we root for. I know we all get caught up in the intensity of wins & losses, but to see how UT has been wiling to help give my dad more memories at the school he loves so much, means everything to us.

GO VOLS!!!!

If it's the same interview I saw I am not going to lie. I teared up when I guess it would be your mom said it was tough and he grabbed her hand

If it's the same interview I saw I am not going to lie. I teared up when I guess it would be your mom said it was tough and he grabbed her hand

That was it! They have been such a good team together in this. But it's hard as you can imagine.

ALS Lou Gehrig's Disease is a progressive loss of nerve function. Last year the ALS Foundation received only $22,000 in donations
Since the end of july and the Ice Bucket Challenge Started they have colkected over a million. Challenge is to dump a bucket of ice water on your head or donate to ALS or the charity of your choice.

OK... All you out there in VolNation.. here it is. Your challenge. I am donating, so I don't have to do the buckrt of ice. I challenge all of you to do the same.

Reactions: 2 people
ALS Lou Gehrig's Disease is a progressive loss of nerve function. Last year the ALS Foundation received only $22,000 in donations
Since the end of july and the Ice Bucket Challenge Started they have colkected over a million. Challenge is to dump a bucket of ice water on your head or donate to ALS or the charity of your choice.

OK... All you out there in VolNation.. here it is. Your challenge. I am donating, so I don't have to do the buckrt of ice. I challenge all of you to do the same.

Thanks so much! I read an article last night that nationally, the challenge has generated over $9 million!

Wish the best for your family, no knock against Coach Jones but he was challenged by Rich Rod and didn't participate.

CA. Man I am sending prayers to you and your family. Your dad and mom seem like such nice people and you dad appears very strong and courageous dealing with this.

Reactions: 1 person
Bayard is a friend and classmate of mine. His courage and determination is an example for all who know him. Not only is he the spokesperson for this year's ALS walk in Knoxville, Sept. 13, but he reaches out to other ALS patient's to offer support, especially those who have just been diagnosed.

Bayard is a true VFL. He bleeds orange each and every day. I hope all of the Vol Nation will support Bayard as one of our own. Come to the ALS Walk and let's make it a giant Vol celebration.

I will be making my donation momentarily. I think the awareness needs to get out there. I have heard of ALS but til very recently ( as of five minutes ago) never knew the true impact it has on family's world wide. Let's beat this disease. Go Vols!!!

I just made my donation thanks for sharing this video. I want to encourage everyone to do the same, what's a few dollars gonna hurt? If everyone on this board would just donate a few bucks that would go a long way for a cure. I hope coach jones does the ice bucket challenge tonight that would be awesome!!

Prayers to your family man. Wouldn't it be awesome if Butch did it in front of 40,000 Vol fans tonight at the scrimmage! Maybe show your parents feature on the jumbo tron, then switch to Butch. Place would go crazy. I know this is a sports board, but there are lots of good folks on here who will send one up for you. :hi:

Reactions: 4 people
I just made my donation thanks for sharing this video. I want to encourage everyone to do the same, what's a few dollars gonna hurt? If everyone on this board would just donate a few bucks that would go a long way for a cure. I hope coach jones does the ice bucket challenge tonight that would be awesome!!

Prayers to your family man. Wouldn't it be awesome if Butch did it in front of 40,000 Vol fans tonight at the scrimmage! Maybe show your parents feature on the jumbo tron, then switch to Butch. Place would go crazy. I know this is a sports board, but there are lots of good folks on here who will send one up for you. :hi:

Thanks so much for the prayers & donations! We really are blessed to have such great support. It would be unreal if he did it tonight! But I'm sure he has a bit on his plate right now :) not gonna lie, it would be pretty cool though!

Reactions: 2 people
Just in the past 3 years I've had two friends who lost their fathers to ALS. I'll definitely be sending prayers your way, I've seen how tough it can be. Stay strong brother!

I remember not so long ago someone on this board passed away, and they raised like over ten thousand dollars. I'm sure we can do it again!! C'mon guys

I'm all for donating to the fight against ALS, but this ice-bucket thing is a heart-attack waiting to happen when they pull this stunt on the wrong person.

GO VOLS!!!!

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family. Hope you guys have a GREAT time at the Utah State game!

My thoughts go.out to you and your family....my wife and I are doing the bucket challenge today. Good luck.to your father and hope he enjoys the USU game.

I admittedly am cynical of many slacktivist awareness campaigns, but story was moving, and ALS donations are up...which is real great. I will not judge Butch if he does or doesn't do it.

For a win/win situation, those of you that are social media experts(I am not), should challenge CBJ and the entire team to take the challenge tonight at the scrimmage. ALS gets a win, and the positive publicity UT would garner would equal a win for the Vols. ESPN might have something good to say about us for once, lol.

Only 22,000 are you sure? That does not sound right? Which ALS organization are talking about?

VN Store

Back