Offensive Style/Philosophy

AndyMizunogolfer

I am a little curious on what everyone thinks on what we are looking at doing on offense in the future. I mean it seems like a lot of guys think we are going to try going to more of an option spread. I find it odd if that were the case with the talent at receiver that we are currently pulling in. I think having that as an extra wrinkle is fine. Although I think we stay with more of a true passer and let the plays be made with our talented WR's.

I am a little curious on what everyone thinks on what we are looking at doing on offense in the future. I mean it seems like a lot of guys think we are going to try going to more of an option spread. I find it odd if that were the case with the talent at receiver that we are currently pulling in. I think having that as an extra wrinkle is fine. Although I think we stay with more of a true passer and let the plays be made with our talented WR's.

Spread/hybrid pro style west coast..

Reactions: 5 people
I heard all our guys were going to bathe with axe gel and spike their hair with axe hair products. That should add some style to our offense for sure.

Reactions: 2 people
Spread/hybrid pro style west coast..

Actually it's a hybrid Spread/Pro-Style West Coast Read-Option with some power run, wildcat and triple sundae option looks also.

Source: I play NCAA 2013 and I've watched a lot of player interviews. I consider myself an expert.

Reactions: 7 people
Actually it's a hybrid Spread/Pro-Style West Coast Read-Option with some power run, wildcat and triple sundae option looks also.

Source: I play NCAA 2013 and I've watched a lot of player interviews. I consider myself an expert.

I bet your custom play book is sccweeet!

Reactions: 1 person
Hurd sweep to the right.

Hurd sweep to the left.

When we want to confuse them...Hurd sweep to the right. Followed by Hurd sweep to the right.

I already know both plays

We'll have to use the pass to set up Hurd. Hurd will have at least two guys spying him every short to mid down because nobody is worried about Worley taking off with the ball. If we're not converting passing attempts at a high percentage, you can double the number of defenders who will commit to stopping Hurd. Now, we could come out in the wishbone but that will underutilize our vaunted young receiving corps plus I'm not even sure we have a real bone crushing fullback on the roster. Unless Worley is vastly improved it will take some real creativity to get points on the board.

Its really not west coast at all, They use Zone Blocking concepts in combination with a lot of reading the playside DE/OLB. Much of what they do starts with the Zone Blocking scheme and what the defense will give them

Its really not west coast at all, They use Zone Blocking concepts in combination with a lot of reading the playside DE/OLB. Much of what they do starts with the Zone Blocking scheme and what the defense will give them

Smash mouth is big boy football...But I am all in

Smash mouth is big boy football...But I am all in

Even Bama is moving away from smash mouth football. I never thought I'd say this but one of the few teams that line up and run versus a loaded box is Stanford. A far cry from the old Elway days.

I really don't think what Oregon is doing will be the dominant offense. Stanford has the defensive game plan to beat those type offenses. Others will follow suit. IMO the old Cutcliff style of offense is the way to go. Strong running game, screens, quick hitches and slants (to let your athletes run in space), and few well timed deep throws to keep the defense from loading up the box. I've always liked that offense, the trick is to get all those components to the field. Big wrs that can block and run fast, rb that can hurt ya, lineman that zone block well, and a qb that can throw a pretty deep ball. Wow, maybe next year we will have almost all of those pieces after looking at our roster.

Butch wants to run RichRod's Spread and Shread and incorporate West Coast passing concepts. But like every other scheme, it depends on the personnel. If Worley proves to be able to manage the passing game with the big WRs, the Spread and Shred will be more chuck and duck.

. . . and as I keep saying, it doesn't really require a running QB to run from the spread.

We'll have to use the pass to set up Hurd. Hurd will have at least two guys spying him every short to mid down because nobody is worried about Worley taking off with the ball.

I keep seeing that argument and it seems crazy to me. RBs have been coming out of the backfield from single sets with dropback QBs since forever. Even at Tennessee, 25 years ago Chuck Webb and Tony Thompson were piling up yardage from what amounted to a Run and Shoot look at times with that statue, Andy Kelly at QB.

I get that "Read option" is predicated on the keep, but I don't think it has to be anymore a threat out of the spread than a QB in the I pulling a handoff for a naked bootleg.

We're basically running a "power spread" with a focus on running the football between the tackles with inside zone and power O as the base plays. Most of these work off of a read option look that makes the defense avoid committing too many guys to one side.

VN Store

Back