Anybody got this problem with Charter?

SeniorDrill

SEC network in my location is on channel 34 extended basic and channels 802 and 803 HD. I get all 3 on my tv which has a box but I have others without a box that I autoprogrammed again expecting it to show up on channel 34 but it does not. I called and was told it was a digital signal and it would not covert without the box. However, when I autoprogram on the tvs without the box I get about 48 analog channels and 85 digital ones, the ones with the dash. You can definitely see the difference in the picture. Can anyone explain why it doesn't show up on channel 34. I would imagine there are a lot of teed off Vol fans who only have extended basic without the box who don't receive it and thought they would.

Last edited:
Charter in my location is on channel 34 extended basic and channels 802 and 803 HD. I get all 3 on my tv which has a box but I have others without a box that I autoprogrammed again expecting it to show up on channel 34 but it does not. I called and was told it was a digital signal and it would not covert without the box. However, when I autoprogram on the tvs without the box I get about 48 analog channels and 85 digital ones, the ones with the dash. You can definitely see the difference in the picture. Can anyone explain why it doesn't show up on channel 34. I would imagine there are a lot of teed off Vol fans who only have extended basic without the box who don't receive it and thought they would.

I used to have that same issue with my Travel Channel down here, i don't know why though lol.

I work for Charter. The reason you're getting that is the channel is encrypted. Even though you're getting other digital channels, you'll have to have a box to get the ones that are encrypted. Soon enough everybody will have to have a box, or equivalent digital decoder, for every tv, FCC mandate. Sorry for the bad news.

I work for Charter. The reason you're getting that is the channel is encrypted. Even though you're getting other digital channels, you'll have to have a box to get the ones that are encrypted. Soon enough everybody will have to have a box, or equivalent digital decoder, for every tv, FCC mandate. Sorry for the bad news.

Be careful. I thought you cable company people got in trouble for being polite and helpful.

Reactions: 5 people

So now I suppose we all go down to the local Charter Store that's in town & get our little box that we all need now thanks to the freaking FCC?

FCC= F'n Charter & Comcast.

Reactions: 2 people
I am having the same problem and just got off the phone with charter. I was also told I would have to get a digital box to solve the problem. I then preceded to tell the lady "I don't believe you," in my Ron Burgundy voice as I sipped my whiskey. I then quoted several other anchorman quotes and had the lady completely confused. She might of won the extra money I have to pay for the digital boxes but at the end of the day we all knew who won that conversation.

I am having the same problem and just got off the phone with charter. I was also told I would have to get a digital box to solve the problem. I then preceded to tell the lady "I don't believe you," in my Ron Burgundy voice as I sipped my whiskey. I then quoted several other anchorman quotes and had the lady completely confused. She might of won the extra money I have to pay for the digital boxes but at the end of the day we all knew who won that conversation.

She earned that 6 bucks

They keep saying that anyway. I used to work for them myself. The FCC deadline for the change over was about a year after I started working there. That was 10 years ago. It wasn't the first time it got pushed back either. I wasn't aware encryption was part of the mandate though, just digital.

SEC network in my location is on channel 34 extended basic and channels 802 and 803 HD. I get all 3 on my tv which has a box but I have others without a box that I autoprogrammed again expecting it to show up on channel 34 but it does not. I called and was told it was a digital signal and it would not covert without the box. However, when I autoprogram on the tvs without the box I get about 48 analog channels and 85 digital ones, the ones with the dash. You can definitely see the difference in the picture. Can anyone explain why it doesn't show up on channel 34. I would imagine there are a lot of teed off Vol fans who only have extended basic without the box who don't receive it and thought they would.

Your problem is that you have charter

You can also use the watchespn app to stream through your phone to Chromecast or Apple TV or Apple TV itself.

My probably is with Sudden Link. Don't think they have it TN but I get it through my basic cable TVs but when I try to access it through the TV with TIVO it doesn't show up. Gotta call around tomorrow...

If it wasn't for this post, I wouldn't know that I have the SEC network..

Thank u sir.

Thanks to the Charter folks on here. It is too bad that the service representative on the phone had no clue about that. When I told her I was getting other digital channels, she had no idea about the encryption. I finally said thanks and hung up!

Yep, the bottle did.

BINGO!
Get Dish or DirecTV. Both are a zillion times better than charter!

At one point I've had every cable provider, they all charge too much. To say one is better than the other is really a falsehood.

I will say charter internet is top notch

VN Store

Back