I keep reading about our ol woes...

roddo518

Coach
But I looked at our roster and saw a lot of huge guys. They are upper classmen and massive. Surely we can find 5 zone blockers out of that bunch that have decent feet. Has anyone did a projected starting line weight and size list on here? Maybe our backs can apply the theory of 18 inches of daylight and make defenses sick.

Our OL is underrated by a lazy national media who see "lost all 5 starters" and immediately conclude the worst and then write it.

Reactions: 12 people
Ikr, I coached against chad Clifton back in the day in high school. He was nothing really special in hs that I saw, but one of the recruiters told me that you can't coach size. Ut worked on strength, conditioning, and zone technique and he turned out to be very special in college and the pros. I am hoping we have a few Chads out of the bunch we have!

Reactions: 1 person
Our OL is underrated by a lazy national media who see "lost all 5 starters" and immediately conclude the worst and then write it.

Truth right there.

RTT actually did it's homework in today's projected "2 deep" projections article. Here is the OL part. Pretty good but as always coaches will move players when possible to get the best 5 athletes on the field.

OFFENSIVE LINE
LT Jacob Gilliam (Sr) OR Dontavius Blair (Jr)

LG Marcus Jackson (Jr), Austin Sanders (RFr)

C Mack Crowder (Jr), Dylan Wiesman (So)

RG Kyler Kerbyson (Jr), Jashon Robertson (Fr)

RT Coleman Thomas (Fr), Brett Kendrick (RFr)

Questions Remaining: While the whole group is a bit of a question mark after Marcus Jackson, most of the concern is at the tackle spots. Coleman Thomas is a true freshman, although he was here this spring. One of the most intriguing position battles remaining is fifth-year senior Jacob Gilliam or JUCO star Dontavius Blair at left tackle. We've said it before: Gilliam is a great story we'd all get behind, you just don't want a great story to get you beat. This whole group is also a major "don't get hurt" unit; the Vols feel good about their interior line but would get very nervous and even more green if one of those guys went down with injury. Ray Raulerson could also get in this mix but if all stay healthy may be in line for a redshirt.

Last edited:
just because we have new guys doesnt mean their bad and were having "woes". Its lazy reporting by alot of these analysts. They all play the game on paper way to much and it gets worse every year. 3 or 4 of them are in their 4th or 5th year in the program. I can tell you our interior line could have played on a number of teams in CFB last year. Alabama has a QB who has thrown about 30 passes in his career during mop up duty and got on campus in June. Cam Robinson is a monster but hes a true freshman playing in the SEC West and hes responsible for Cokers blindside. Nobodys writing about that though. They just look at the paper that says "lost all starters" and they assume the worst. They couldnt even tell you who our Lineman are.

Last edited:
Its mainly because its UT, I have seen where other teams are replacing multiple OL but still have :thumbsup: from the media and ESPN

Also off subject Bama is working in a QB from FS that must be superman because he has been given the :angel: next greatest thing since sliced bread.

USU QB is coming off a 10 month ACL and MCL surgery in which he is in the Heisman running, Really the kid is still limping slightly in practice while having to play behind multiple OL being replaced. I don't see him playing the full game in Neyland

Most of this pre season comments is nothing more than looking at 2013 team and how they will pre-form 2014 :shaking2:

Reactions: 2 people
But I looked at our roster and saw a lot of huge guys. They are upper classmen and massive. Surely we can find 5 zone blockers out of that bunch that have decent feet. Has anyone did a projected starting line weight and size list on here? Maybe our backs can apply the theory of 18 inches of daylight and make defenses sick.

You can't teach size. Signed John Holmes

The difference in S&C between this year and last year is huge. With the improvement in overall team strength, I do believe both lines will exceed general talking head expectations. Will that be enough to translate into 6/7 wins and a bowl win? I sure hope so.

This thread has been hijacked by Eva Wyrwal.

images

Last edited:
roddo518, who is that in your avi?

Nah

They are looking at it through clear glasses and not ones dunked in Orange paint

Our OL is inexperienced. Doesn't matter how big they are. They haven't had time to gel as a unit in game day situations

That causes issue when it comes to blocking and snap counts. Which leads to penalties, which leads to lost yards and long yardage situations.

No team can have a turnover on an OL like ours and do well out of the gates

Nah

They are looking at it through clear glasses and not ones dunked in Orange paint

Our OL is inexperienced. Doesn't matter how big they are. They haven't had time to gel as a unit in game day situations

That causes issue when it comes to blocking and snap counts. Which leads to penalties, which leads to lost yards and long yardage situations.

No team can have a turnover on an OL like ours and do well out of the gates

This ^^^^

Having a new OL will take time to gel.... How long??? It all depends on the players and how fast they can pick up the speed of the game and their assignments on multiple defensive fronts.

We can believe what we want but no one really knows until you put them in the big stadium, against another team..... :crazy:

VN Store

Back