Utah State scrimmage report

Our Wr's should be licking their chops.. New guys in the secondary.. I like to hear that with the weapons we have..

Reactions: 7 people
They'll have a hard time hearing inside Neyland. The place is going to be rocking. First game of the season and it's a night game = bad news for opponents

Reactions: 6 people
Logan has a very dry climate...with any luck, we will play them in a hot, humid and pollen filled climate...they may have extreme trouble just breathing.

Reactions: 1 person
I believe this game is going to be a challenge for the Vols...especially in the beginning. Advantages for Vols; The Aggies will not be used to the heat and humidity, TN is bigger and stronger, 100K fans! The crowd can really help in this game. Their home stadium only holds 25,513 fans. Let's make it loud!!!

Reactions: 3 people
Our Wr's should be licking their chops.. New guys in the secondary.. I like to hear that with the weapons we have..

And the coach saying they open up the midfield a little more than they should. With the TE coming back as a another weapon in the offense, that should help open up everything for a strong pass game.

I have no doubts we will win. And I don't think Butch is the kind of coach that will intentionally run the score up so we should hopefully see our 2s and 3s get some game time and seasoning.

Reactions: 3 people
I believe this game is going to be a challenge for the Vols...especially in the beginning. Advantages for Vols; The Aggies will not be used to the heat and humidity, TN is bigger and stronger, 100K fans! The crowd can really help in this game. Their home stadium only holds 25,513 fans. Let's make it loud!!!

I think this game is going to be a beat down from the opening whistle.

Reactions: 4 people
I think we can hit some big plays on them. I am hoping we do that early and often then settle down in a running game. We need to keep their QB off the field as much as possible. If we had him I would be thinking 8 wins at least.

All I read is 1st string offense against 2nd string defense, and 1st string defense against 2nd string offense. Only 6 touchdowns in 2 hours. 1st string should put up way better numbers than that against 2nd string. Wait until the 2nd half when we have our 2nd string on the field. We gonna beat that azzzz!!

Honestly everyone expects our offense to have their way with their D. The surprise is going to come with our D. UT hasn't had a lot a speed and talent in the front 7 for a while.

We will have Maggitt & Vereen coming off the edges like a mad men.

A.J. shooting gap racking up TFL and creating fumbles

JRM making impact plays in space

We will be rotating spies on and off Chuckie Keeton.

We are going to make them look bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Honestly everyone expects our offense to have their way with their D. The surprise is going to come with our D. UT hasn't had a lot a speed and talent in the front 7 for a while.

We will have Maggitt (hopefully healthy by game time) & Vereen coming off the edges like a mad men.

A.J. shooting gap racking up TFL and creating fumbles

JRM making impact plays in space

We will be rotating spies on and of Chuckie Keeton.

We are going to make them look bad.

fify

They will get hammered in Neyland!

In the past 5 games against top 25 teams, USU only lost by an average of 4.2 points. Auburn, Oklahoma, USC, Wisconsin and Utah and has not lost to a unranked team home or on the road in the past 2 years.. ...

I bleed orange and hope we win big but I do think it will be a tough game.

Reactions: 6 people
In the past 5 games against top 25 teams, USU only lost by an average of 4.2 points. Auburn, Oklahoma, USC, Wisconsin and Utah and has not lost to a unranked team home or on the road in the past 2 years.. ...

I bleed orange and hope we win big but I do think it will be a tough game.

I'm gonna quote a famous Memphian,"We gonna whoop dem Tricks.."

Reactions: 4 people
USU fans from their message board are pretty confident they win. Some even think they win comfortably.

Dunno if ya'll care, but despite playing bigger teams close in the past 12 years..........theyve only won their first game once. Not that it has anything directly to do with our game but seems to bode well for us. plus they've had alot of turnover on their roster too and have quite a few guys suspended for atleast the first game. Had got into some trouble or something.

p.s. I only went back 12 years, i dunno how they fared in season openers prior to 2002.

Merlin Olsen field at Romney Stadium........lol

0H87bZF.png

Edit: I get it that it's actually named after popular Mormons, but this is just the first thing that popped in my head. :)

Last edited:

UT is also much faster overall. They have a significant size and talent advantage at WR vs their secondary. Besides their secondary, USU replaces a bunch of guys. Only a few of their new starters played big roles in their recent success. Pretty much none of their new back ups did. UT's athletes in the secondary can contain USU's WR's.

The unknown in this game is coaching. UT has pretty much every other advantage. If UT isn't outcoached then they win handily... I'll stay consistent with 17+ pts.

VN Store

Back