Want to get a little more excited about our offense?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
On Sunday night, Butch said on the radio that we've already had more big plays in practice this year than we did all of last year.

“I just left a staff meeting and we had all of our explosive plays so far in training camp and we probably had more wow plays already in a short period this training camp than we did all of last year from practice, to even live game situations and game day.”

Reactions: 41 people
tumblr_lc738lDRh31qe0eclo1_r1_500-1.gif

Reactions: 12 people
athletic tight ends will help open the playbook more this year. I'm hoping to see some big runs this year due to receivers improvements in blocking

Reactions: 3 people
The defense must suck. :)

:)

I knew someone would go there. Let's assume they can't be worse than last season. Right?

It should be expected that Tennessee will make more big plays this year with guys like North, Pigg and Lane with another year of experience, and the addition of newcomers like Pearson, Malone, Hurd and the group of tight ends. However, it's still nice to hear Butch confirm that the big-play ability is showing up on the practice field.

Reactions: 12 people
athletic tight ends will help open the playbook more this year. I'm hoping to see some big runs this year due to receivers improvements in blocking

I read somewhere that it was a Marques North block that sprang one of the touchdown runs in practice today.

And Josh Smith is another guy I should have mentioned above. That kid seems to have really grown up a lot and has handled a last year's tough season about as well as you could hope. I'm expecting him to be the starter against Utah State.

Reactions: 16 people
I absolutely believe this team will be better than the 5-7 predictions because of the playmakers we have. They'll shock a team or two in the process.

Reactions: 7 people
I absolutely believe this team will be better than the 5-7 predictions because of the playmakers we have. They'll shock a team or two in the process.

That's a fair prediction with the way this team played against Georgia and South Carolina. A slightly improved team probably wins at least seven games against last year's schedule.

I think they'll be improved but it's hard to say how much that will show in the record with such a tough schedule this year. Hopefully we can stay healthy.

I'm inclined to take every bit of good news we can get and be grateful for it and optimistic about what it might mean for our future.

But that's just me.

I knew someone would go there. Let's assume they can't be worse than last season. Right?

It should be expected that Tennessee will make more big plays this year with guys like North, Pigg and Lane with another year of experience, and the addition of newcomers like Pearson, Malone, Hurd and the group of tight ends. However, it's still nice to hear Butch confirm that the big-play ability is showing up on the practice field.

I think the explosiveness will be apparent from the jump.

Just get these guys in space and watch them go.

Reactions: 1 person
That's a fair prediction with the way this team played against Georgia and South Carolina. A slightly improved team probably wins at least seven games against last year's schedule.

I think they'll be improved but it's hard to say how much that will show in the record with such a tough schedule this year. Hopefully we can stay healthy.

I don't see this years schedule being more difficult than 2013. The opposite actually. @Oregon, top 10 USC, @Bama, @SECe champ Mizzou, BCS contender Auburn...it really can't get any worse than that.

I think we may be better than fans realize. Our offense seems to struggle at times, but maybe that's because our defense is actually better? I think we'll win ALL of the games we're supposed to, and possibly 1 or 2 that we aren't (UF/UGA/USC/Mizz). Out of those 4, it's not impossible to win them all. IMPOSSIBLE is most likely Okla and Bama. Anything could happen this year. From 5-7 to 10-2.

Reactions: 5 people
I don't see this years schedule being more difficult than 2013. The opposite actually. @Oregon, top 10 USC, @Bama, @SECe champ Mizzou, BCS contender Auburn...it really can't get any worse than that.

I think we may be better than fans realize. Our offense seems to struggle at times, but maybe that's because our defense is actually better? I think we'll win ALL of the games we're supposed to, and possibly 1 or 2 that we aren't (UF/UGA/USC/Mizz). Out of those 4, it's not impossible to win them all. IMPOSSIBLE is most likely Okla and Bama. Anything could happen this year. From 5-7 to 10-2.

if you look closely at Okla record last year and the scores and the record of their opponents...you might not pencil them in as a sure loss.....you tell me, am i drinking the koolaid??

Reactions: 5 people
I agree with you. Everyone puts to much credit in the Sugar Bowl game. Bama didn't want to be there.

Reactions: 2 people
offensive play calling, aside from the Georgia game, was stifling last year. Perhaps that was more of a personnel issue which should be upgraded this year. The increase in talent and another year in the system hopefully leads to a less anemic offense.

Reactions: 2 people
It's great to have Butch getting excited about the offense during practice. Let's just hope we get excited in an actual game.

You sure he was only talking about the offense?

The defense could make "wow" plays too.

Reactions: 3 people
if you look closely at Okla record last year and the scores and the record of their opponents...you might not pencil them in as a sure loss.....you tell me, am i drinking the koolaid??

No, OU has a tendency to drop a game they should win handily. I'm not going to go out on a limb and say for certain it will be UT, but we've got just as much of a chance as anyone else.

I agree with you. Everyone puts to much credit in the Sugar Bowl game. Bama didn't want to be there.

After losing the way they did against Auburn I tend to believe Bama went into the Sugar Bowl with the mindset to stomp Oklahoma and prove they should be in the championship game. I think Alabama just got beat by a big O-line a really good receiver and a quarterback with a hot hand.I give Oklahoma their due, But lets face it last years Oklahoma and last years Tennessee are not the same as this years .

After losing the way they did against Auburn I tend to believe Bama went into the Sugar Bowl with the mindset to stomp Oklahoma and prove they should be in the championship game. I think Alabama just got beat by a big O-line a really good receiver and a quarterback with a hot hand.I give Oklahoma their due, But lets face it last years Oklahoma and last years Tennessee are not the same as this years .

I thought it was Oklahoma's defensive line that was the most impressive. They had the most consistent and fierce pass rush Bama has seen in a few years.

I tend to think offensively, just because it was such an issue last year. But you make a fair point.

I'm probably wired alittle different (probably ha!) but when I think of "wow" plays I think of Berry, Grant, Little, Wilson, Duff, ect...

VN Store

Back