All-time great Nicknames for former Vols

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
Film clips associated with today's Vol Report (#VolReport: All About The Energy - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics) include an interview with former Vol kicker Alan Duncan (1978-80), who attended today's practice. Therein, Alan relates how John Ward dubbed him the "Swahili Sidewinder." As a missionary kid, Duncan had lived in Africa for quite some time and spoke Swahili fluently, so, as a soccer-style placekicker, "Swahili Sidewinder" became, in John's mind, a natural fit. What are some of the other truly great nicknames associated with former Vol players?

Condredge Holloway was described with precision as the "artful Dodger." Curt Watson was the "Crossville Comet," and Jack Reynolds, of course, became known forevermore as "Hacksaw" after he cut "an abandoned 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air (some accounts claim it was a Porsche) in half with a hacksaw after his previously unbeaten . . . team returned from an embarrassing 38-0 road loss to Ole Miss" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Reynolds_(American_football).

Punter Herman Weaver became known as "Thunderfoot," but this source (Herman Weaver still putting his best foot forward - : Catwalkchatt) suggests that he did not receive that nickname until his playing career at UT had concluded. Weaver said "the “Thunderfoot” moniker came about during an overcast day of practice in preparation for a Monday night game. ABC broadcaster Howard Cosell was at the Lions’ practice watching Weaver punt when the sky let out a boom of thunder as one of his punts reached its apex. “Our placekicker, Errol Mann, looked over at Cosell and told him that it thundered every time I punted,” he said. “So the next night on Monday Night Football, Cosell told the story on the air and started calling me ‘Thunderfoot.’ The name stuck and it turned out great.”

In any event, what are some other equally colorful nicknames that you recall as being regularly associated with former Vols?

Hard to beat Hacksaw, IMO. It's the first, most epic Vols nickname that popped into my head when I was trying to think of a username. So I'd have to go with that one.

Reactions: 2 people
The "Cobb-Webb" tandem of Reggie Cobb and Chuck Webb. Although he did not like the nickname, Constantin Ritzmann was known as the "Germanator."

Then you have the "Swamp Rat," otherwise known as Dewey Warren. And, of course, Johnny "Drum" Majors. Here is the link to an interesting article about an actor who was born as Harvey Lee Yeary but absolutely idolized Johnny and ultimately adopted the stage name of "Lee Majors" in tribute to him: CYBORG:Lee Majors Online | Press Room | Why Lee Majors Took Another Man's Name. Yeary identified with Johnny because, like Majors, he was considered "too small" for big time college football. Yeary eventually met Johnny and Majors spoke to Harvey Lee "like an older brother, giving him advice on how to put his limited physical dimensions to work on the football field to best advantage against bigger men.

Johnny stressed that the little guy can do the job the way he did at Tennessee, with speed, agility, and wile. He encouraged Harvey Lee to go into every game as though it were a championship and give everything of himself that he had to give." Consequently, we now remember Harvey Lee Yeary as Lee Majors because of his great respect for Johnny Majors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
The "Cobb-Webb" tandem of Reggie Cobb and Chuck Webb. Although he did not like the nickname, Constantin Ritzmann was known as the "Germanator."

Then you have the "Swamp Rat," otherwise known as Dewey Warren. And, of course, Johnny "Drum" Majors. Here is the link to an interesting article about an actor who was born as Harvey Lee Yeary but absolutely idolized Johnny and ultimately adopted the stage name of "Lee Majors" in tribute to him: CYBORG:Lee Majors Online | Press Room | Why Lee Majors Took Another Man's Name. Yeary identified with Johnny because, like Majors, he was considered "too small" for big time college football. Yeary eventually met Johnny and Majors spoke to Harvey Lee "like an older brother, giving him advice on how to put his limited physical dimensions to work on the football field to best advantage against bigger men.

Johnny stressed that the little guy can do the job the way he did at Tennessee, with speed, agility, and wile. He encouraged Harvey Lee to go into every game as though it were a championship and give everything of himself that he had to give." Consequently, we now remember Harvey Lee Yeary as Lee Majors because of his great respect for Johnny Majors.

I had no clue about Lee Majors changing his name. That's awesome. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: 2 people
I had no clue about Lee Majors changing his name. That's awesome. Thanks for posting.

Nor did I. I simply discovered it in the course of seeking a more specific historical reference pertaining to when and why Johnny became known as "Drum" Majors.

Although it was not his nickname, "Peerless" Price certainly deserves honorable mention. "Born in Dayton, Ohio, Price's name was inspired by the name of a local moving company. His mother explained that he was given the name because she liked it, and also because she hoped that her son—who grew up in a rough neighborhood—wouldn't fall victim to the life of crime that others in the neighborhood did" (Peerless Price - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

VN Store

Back