SOS BS for Playoff Births

Orangedogsrule

PULEEZE LET SMOKEY WIN!!!
Per CFB Matrix SOS is not going to be as important as plain old winning. The reasoning is that in the BCS era the polls ruled. There are hundreds and hundreds of people involved in the AP, Coaches, etc, & the computer rankings. Enough that the scheduling of a more difficult SOS can reasonably be expected to benefit in football polls as it does in basketball RPI.

However, with only a baker's dozen on the championship selection committee, they can not in any stretch watch enough conference much less OOC games for the OOC to factor in their thinking. They'll have to depend on 'others' for help. The playoff teams will be those unbeaten or with 1 and at most 2 losses. Where will OOC come into play?

Steel sharpens steel as with Oklahoma, or does an early season loss like that gar-un-tee no chance for the playoffs?

Last edited:
SOS will always be factored whether they say its super important or not. Not a fan of such a small commitee deciding. Why couldn't we use the BCS formula to decide it? At least then a lot of people continue to decide the playoff instead of us accusing the commitee of putting in who they want (you know that's gonna happen). I mean C Rice is on the commitee right? Wth?

SOS may factor, but I think I'm changing how I think about it, the steel sharpens steel and all. I used to be for playing the tough OOC game or two. Now I don't think it's wise, especially for an SEC team. It's going to be hard to get through the SEC year in year out without two or three losses anyway. Three losses and you won't be considered by the committee. Two losses and only extra ordinary circumstances get you in, a high profile OOC win could help. But for UT right now and for the next few years, why schedule the OK's & Oregon's so early, before even real conference play gets started?

If I understand it right(?), OOC schedules are made years in advance. From what I understand, if a team you schedule to play 4-6 yrs ago when they where down....then gets up, you can buy it out. I respect us not buying out of tough OOC games(even if we had the money to do so).
The cool thing about SOS of schedule with the committee now, is that they will discuss.... "who did they play...OOC or IC?" "Does a dominant 11-1 trump a 10-2?" The days of deciding that a Bama type team match up with an ND type team(2012) to decide NC...are gone.

Relax... SEC Championship game will most likely always get a playoff bid. 1 of the power 5 will have to sit out though which will be interesting

If I understand it right(?), OOC schedules are made years in advance. From what I understand, if a team you schedule to play 4-6 yrs ago when they where down....then gets up, you can buy it out. I respect us not buying out of tough OOC games(even if we had the money to do so).
The cool thing about SOS of schedule with the committee now, is that they will discuss.... "who did they play...OOC or IC?" "Does a dominant 11-1 trump a 10-2?" The days of deciding that a Bama type team match up with an ND type team(2012) to decide NC...are gone.

You are going to be so incredibly disappointed.

Reactions: 1 person
The BCS was never bad. The retarded BCS "BOWLS" were the problem. Such idiotic matchups.

Reactions: 2 people
Have been and will be for a while...could have told you that.
Has Slive made mention of SOS in regards to playoff committee?

Not that I know of. But he isn't involved with the committee in any way, so I'm not sure what insights he could provide.

Per CFB Matrix SOS is not going to be as important as plain old winning. The reasoning is that in the BCS era the polls ruled. There are hundreds and hundreds of people involved in the AP, Coaches, etc, & the computer rankings. Enough that the scheduling of a more difficult SOS can reasonably be expected to benefit in football polls as it does in basketball RPI.

However, with only a baker's dozen on the championship selection committee, they can not in any stretch watch enough conference much less OOC games for the OOC to factor in their thinking. They'll have to depend on 'others' for help. The playoff teams will be those unbeaten or with 1 and at most 2 losses. Where will OOC come into play?

Steel sharpens steel as with Oklahoma, or does an early season loss like that gar-un-tee no chance for the playoffs?

I really don't see how SOS could be less important now. If anything, it's more important. There are only four play-off spots for five Power-5 conference champions and some teams potentially deserving of an at-large bid. The play-off committee needs OOC games between Power-5 conference teams in order to make some attempt at ranking the conferences to aid in their decisions. In some cases, two teams in the same conference that didn't play each other may be considered. There may be a way to separate them based on cross-divisional opponents, but if there isn't, OOC schedules would have to be considered. If anything, we need every Power-5 conference team to play an OOC Power-5 opponent to give the committee the best possible information, because somebody is getting left out, and it would be nice if they get it right.

In addition to that, there will be times when one of the non-Power-5 conference champions is undefeated when only 1 or 2 of the Power-5 conference champions are. You can't just keep them out without justification. That justification is SOS.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back