A few practice updates from last night and today (Practice #13 thread)

Zasnow

14 looked good last night and had another strong showing today.

Coleman Thomas continues to impress. He split time with the 1s and 2s.

Nothing new but Josh Smith ran with the ones. He is really making a case to be a starter.

AJ and North are still limited due to not risking injury for the season.

Defense got the best of the offense. The speed on the defense (especially the DL) gave the OL some problems.

Wharton may be a name to watch for in the kick return game. He does really well fielding punts when a defender in his face.

Darr seemed to be punting the ball well. Hopefully he will show us why he was the #1 punter in his class.

Hurd has some of the best pass blocking skills I have seen in a RB at UT in quite some time. He is not afraid to fill the gap when a LB is blitzing.

Jordan Williams continues to get work at DE and DT. He is exceptional at tackle when he can pin his ears back and rush. He should play both positions as the season continues.

Ryan Jenkins had another good practice yesterday. He seems to be one of the forgotten players with most people. If healthy he could push for some serious PT this season. I just hope we have a sufficient QB to get all the WRs the ball.

Gaulden was back practicing after being banged up. The staff loves his knack for wanting to hit people. He has shown some flashes of a Jazen type player when lowering his shoulder.

Reactions: 47 people
A few notes from the Times Free Press, which appears to limit the number of articles one can read now (not sure when this happened exactly).

Hopefully everyone having internet issues today is back to normal.

:hi:

Receiver Marquez North dropped a fade in the corner of the end zone from quarterback Justin Worley, who took all the first-team quarterback reps, on the first play, though safety Devaun Swafford had some nice coverage on the play. Worley had to throw his second chance out of the back of the end zone after a high snap.

Receiver Marquez North dropped a fade in the corner of the end zone from quarterback Justin Worley, who took all the first-team quarterback reps, on the first play, though safety Devaun Swafford had some nice coverage on the play. Worley had to throw his second chance out of the back of the end zone after a high snap.

North caught a touchdown pass from Worley in the back corner of the end zone over freshman cornerback Emmanuel Moseley, and Devrin Young turned a swing pass into a touchdown. Pickett took a draw in for a score before Worley's final fade pass was incomplete.

Tennessee football practice report: Vols break from the script | Times Free Press

Reactions: 12 people
I don't know if we've been starved so long that the thinnest gruel feels like a feast, but it had to be 2008 since some many positives were coming out of fall camp. Thank the maker we got rid of Dooley, Hambone, and Layla's husband.

I'm loving Fall Camp for Team 118.

Reactions: 25 people
If Smith can actually hold on to the ball like that this year, he is going to be one serious threat on the deep ball (as long as we have someone who can get it to him).

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
JONES: It's starting to grind, I saw that for the first time today.

JONES: Everything is about energy and that starts with me and our coaches. Practice is like recess, it's when you go out and play football

JONES: I see Justin (Worley) continuing to make plays.

JONES: Jonathan Johnson has worked himself into being a good football player.

JONES: The rhythm is developing on offense. It's not where it needs to be, but it's getting better.

JONES: We're limited up front, so we have players playing different positions because we don't have a lot of depth.

JONES: the tight ends are continuing to develop. What's lost in this is that they need to develop in the weight room.

JONES: The TE position is very competitive. It's night at day from last year.

JONES: We've thrown a lot at Dillon Bates. We've put a lot on his table, not just at linebacker but on special teams.

JONES: Dillon Bates is going to be a very good football player for is. Everything is the way he's been raised. I can't say enough about him

JONES: We have to continue to improve the linebacker position through recruiting.

JONES: Elliott Berry, I'm on him every single snap because we need him at linebacker.

JONES: We played a lot of young players in team situations today. We have to learn to communicate.

JONES: Every day you have a checklist of what you need to get done on practice

JONES: I've been really excited about Todd Kelly, Jr. He continues to get better and better.

JONES on Ryan Jenkins: He has a long way to go, but he's making strides. He's a football junkie and lives it every day. He wants to be great

JONES: I've seen growth all over. The culture is in place, we haven't had one player late to one meeting.

JONES: Everyone better understand that there will be growing pains, it is what it is, but it'll be exciting to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 people
Josh Dobbs' highlight came on a really well thrown ball that threaded the needle for a touchdown to Johnathon Johnson. Dobbs later scored on a bootleg where the defensive end lost containment.

errell Scott and Jalen Reeves-Maybin continue to work on green non-contact jerseys. Kicker Aaron Medley continued to be limited in some early kick work as they continued to work all three elements of the kicking game and monitor the freshman's workload. Linebacker Curt Maggitt continues to not practice. Running back Marlin Lane did practice on Tuesday but was not a part of the early practice scrimmage work, and Vic Wharton also continued on a bit of a maintenance plan while Dylan Wiesman showed some encouraging signs as he tries to work back into the rotation. Mack Crowder also was limited as the physical toll of camp mounts a bit and coaches continue to be strategic with their few veterans.

Jacob Gilliam worked a good bit at right tackle, while Dontavius Blair worked at left tackle and Kyler Kerbyson got work at backup center. Marcus Jackson also has worked a good bit at backup center and show some natural ability there. Key in all of these scenarios continues to be the development of Robertson, who has embraced and flourished in his move from the defensive line to offensive guard. Robertson remains an incredibly strong member of the Vols' team, either side of the ball.

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1669201

Reactions: 8 people
Reading practice updates while this pre-workout is still lingering around my body isn't necessarily a good thing.

Reactions: 1 person
10553577_711832995519747_7793068931861147045_n.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
amazing comeback from the dead by Worley. Peterman was just going to start over him yesterday due to Worley looking worse than last year.

Reactions: 12 people
If Butch is really going to name a starter soon. And Worley was taking all the first team snaps I don't see anyway it's not him. Peterman may of wrapped up the 2nd string tho and beat out Dobbs.

Last edited:
NORTH: on TEs: Ethan and Daniel are going to be a great. They have great attitudes.

North: I love @EMoseley_4. He's very competitive and works really hard. He's athletic and long.

Reactions: 4 people
BATES: I've been looking forward to this. Getting on the field has been great. There's a lot to take in, I've learned a lot.

BATES: I try to stay around the older guys and model myself after them.

BATES: I always go to my dad for tips. He always asks me how things are going. He's my greatest asset as a father.

BATES: I'm trying to go out and better myself everyday. I'm flying around trying to make as many plays as it can.

Last edited:
HELM: it's amazing what 15 practices can do in the spring. I'm a lot more comfortable.

HELM: There's a lot of talent in our room with Ethan, Ellis and Downs.

HELM: I've gained about 20 pounds, I'm around 240. Looking to get to 250 before the end of my career.

HELM: @UTCoachJones has been up front about how they utilize the tight ends.

HELM: Ethan and I are great friends and great competitors. But we want what best for each other.

HELM: We have a lot of talent on the perimeter. Opponents will have to respect out offense.

HELM: I had not thought a lot about the SEC, but once @UTCoachJones came here, it became a great opportunity.

HELM: Barnett is a load to handle. Hendrix will be a talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
A few notes from the Times Free Press, which appears to limit the number of articles one can read now (not sure when this happened exactly).

FYI...if you browse Times Free Press in an incognito browser window, it does not enforce the paywall.

HELM: it's amazing what 15 practices can do in the spring. I'm a lot more comfortable.

HELM: There's a lot of talent in our room with Ethan, Ellis and Downs.

HELM: I've gained about 20 pounds, I'm around 240. Looking to get to 250 before the end of my career.

Don't sleep on Alex Ellis. He had put him in a position to push for the starting TE spot last year before his injury.

amazing comeback from the dead by Worley. Peterman was just going to start over him yesterday due to Worley looking worse than last year.

Well, I mean, it is Tuesday Sparty. Isn't he normally scheduled to have zip back on his passes on Tuesdays?

This OL needs all the practice it can get. I am glad we have some TE's to help out

VN Store

Back