turning the corner

joevol33

1st official VN BB bracket winner
VN Pick Champion
I've read a lot of articles and comments here over the past year about this team starting to "turn the corner", and get back to what Tennessee football should be. I'd like to see our fan base start turning that corner a lot more. I understand how frustrating it has been, but to say "I'm a Vols fan", and bash the players the way some do isn't right. I've seen countless times about how players and recruits read volnation, and I'd just like them to see a fan base that supports them. Call me a sunshine pumper, or whatever, I just believe its easier for a kid to give his all for Tennessee when he knows Tennessee has his back.

Reactions: 31 people
I like your optimism and positivity. I would be thrilled with 7 wins this year given the competition we face as long as I can see an SEC championship in the next few years.

I have to disagree and say I think we have one of the most supportive fan bases in the country. When Pig fumbled twitter was filled with love and support for the guy and Hell even a 1st grade class in Tennessee wrote him letters thanking him for his effort. When Palardy made his turn around the fans embraced it. On Saturdays there are still at least 85k fans filling a stadium for a team that frankly has not been very good for the last 10 years or so. Fan support is not the issue at UT.

Reactions: 9 people
I have to disagree and say I think we have one of the most supportive fan bases in the country. When Pig fumbled twitter was filled with love and support for the guy and Hell even a 1st grade class in Tennessee wrote him letters thanking him for his effort. When Palardy made his turn around the fans embraced it. On Saturdays there are still at least 85k fans filling a stadium for a team that frankly has not been very good for the last 10 years or so. Fan support is not the issue at UT.
I didn't mean to sound like we are horrible. There are some very negative comment however, about players and not the situation. There's plenty of that as well. I was proud of the support pig received. I for one hope that kid gets redemption! 2 TD's in Athens!

No matter how down in the dumps this program has been, I will always be in Neyland every home game to support the Vols. It's just a way of life

Reactions: 2 people
It's amazing what these down years have done to our fan base. Worse than I would have thought.

But then again, I hated our fan base when we were on top of the SEC and in the NC talk year in and year out.

Examples then:

"We need to fire Fulmer, the game has passed him by."
"Phil 'run it up the middle' Fulmer."
"Chavis and his prevent defense are killing us."
"3rd and Chavis"

Examples now:

"CBJ is a good recruiter but needs to prove himself on the sideline."
"Our expectation should be six wins and a bowl game this year."

*EDIT*
I should say I have always hated a small but very vocal minority of our fan base. You know, the ones you hear on the radio and on VN who are never satisfied with anything and thrive on negativity. Overall, I love our fans and think we do a great job of supporting our Vols! My original statement was referring to the fact that I think that negative segment of fans has grown recently.

#VFL #GBO

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I somewhat agree with the OP, but the bottom line is that PEOPLE wil be PEOPLE and there is nothing that ANYONE can do to correct negativity. So the most importnat thing to keep in mind as a reader is, as you sift through these pages, just remember that these are a single persons OPINIONS and nothing should be taken to heart from a message board!

Doesn't matter if you are a player, a recruit, a parent, a coach, or just the everyday average Joe...read what you want, laugh it off or throw it away, this is only a message board. :peace2:

I honestly think that those that are waiting on the team to turn the corner are going to be disappointed. The corner was turned last year vs UGa and SC. Those games showed that the team knows how to compete. Now it is just a matter of filling the right bodies into the right slots.

Reactions: 1 person

Fan support is the issue, why would the AD care if we win, when we are filling up the stadium. They're making money, that's all they care about. Want a better product? empty neyland.

I think this was partly the OP's point. The fans embraced Palardy "after" his turn around, but where was the support during his slump? It's one thing not to offer encouragement toward a player while they are struggling, but it's on a whole different level to disparage and make fun of them.

The same could be said for JCrompton, ZRogers and JSmith among others. It would be great to see VN be a little more supportive of players while they're going thru a slump, versus jumping on the bandwagon afterwards.

Negavols are a relatively small, but active, portion of the VN base.

The surefire way to spot a negavol is when they call someone a "sunshine pumper" or "sunshine sheep". They hate optimism.

Negavols are like beggarlice, they serve no useful purpose whatsoever.

VFE

Dont worry...its too soon this year, but in a year or two we will have alot of fans. GBO!

I think this was partly the OP's point. The fans embraced Palardy "after" his turn around, but where was the support during his slump? It's one thing not to offer encouragement toward a player while they are struggling, but it's on a whole different level to disparage and make fun of them.

The same could be said for JCrompton, ZRogers and JSmith among others. It would be great to see VN be a little more supportive of players while they're going thru a slump, versus jumping on the bandwagon afterwards.

And yet amazingly all those players you listed finished their careers at UT and didn't transfer to schools with "nicer fans". Geez, they're college athletes and are a lot more mentally tough that you guys give them credit for.

The notion that message board content affects recruiting is absolute BS.

Because recruits don't have the internet? I think it does. There have been many former players who have posted here, and a handful of players mom's. I dont think its completely out of the realm of possibility that current players and recruits get curious about what people are saying. Hell it was pretty obvious the basketball team was reading VN.

And yet amazingly all those players you listed finished their careers at UT and didn't transfer to schools with "nicer fans". Geez, they're college athletes and are a lot more mentally tough that you guys give them credit for.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. I didn't say anything about the players or their mental toughness. My comment was strictly about some fair weather fans.

The notion that message board content affects recruiting is absolute BS.

And btw... if you don't think message board material and other forms of social media affect recruiting, then you need to spend a little more time out of the cave you've been living in.

Fan support is the issue, why would the AD care if we win, when we are filling up the stadium. They're making money, that's all they care about. Want a better product? empty neyland.

Well I certainly hope you will do your part and stay home then.

Because butts in seat is spit in the ocean revnue wise. If you aren't winning, you aren't on national tv. If you arent winning, merchandise sales like jerseys and flags, aren't selling. If you aren't winning, big donors get scarce. That is the real money.

I've read a lot of articles and comments here over the past year about this team starting to "turn the corner", and get back to what Tennessee football should be. I'd like to see our fan base start turning that corner a lot more. I understand how frustrating it has been, but to say "I'm a Vols fan", and bash the players the way some do isn't right. I've seen countless times about how players and recruits read volnation, and I'd just like them to see a fan base that supports them. Call me a sunshine pumper, or whatever, I just believe its easier for a kid to give his all for Tennessee when he knows Tennessee has his back.

I agree with the spirit of your post. I'm weary of the "Negative Nancy" types, as well. However, every fan base has its knuckleheads... and you can find them on every message board in the country.

They seem to be more prominent on the boards of the teams with the most passionate fans. By now, elite recruits with good heads on their shoulders are aware that this is the nature of the beast.

Any recruit not emotionally mature enough to deal with unfair criticism from the most ignorant among the fan base, probably is too big of a prima dona to make through two-a-days under Butch.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. I didn't say anything about the players or their mental toughness. My comment was strictly about some fair weather fans.

And btw... if you don't think message board material and other forms of social media affect recruiting, then you need to spend a little more time out of the cave you've been living in.

There has never been more message board negativity around the program than in the last few years and yet Butch signed a top 5 class last year.........how did that happen?

VN Store

Back