Butch Jones: ‘We are getting closer to naming a starting quarterback’

WilliamDuVOL

Butch Jones: ‘We are getting closer to naming a starting quarterback’ | Saturday Down South

The wait is almost over. Praise be, the off season's end is nigh.

Butch Jones could name a starting quarterback at some point this week.

“We are getting closer to naming a starting quarterback,” Jones said during Monday’s press conference. “I’m going to go back and forth and watch the film this morning, a little bit tonight. But I expect if things go the way they’ve been going, we’ll name a starting quarterback at some point this week. But again, I’m not setting any timeframes. If it happens, it happens. There are no deadlines.”

Justin Worley, Josh Dobbs and Nathan Peterman are all competing for the starting job in fall camp. Worley, the senior, is largely figured as the safe bet for Jones’ offense, while Dobbs may have the most upside of any of the three players. While fans shiver at the thought of Peterman winning the job based on his Florida start last season, Peterman has brought his A-game this fall. He’s playing well to start fall camp.

Worley has been running with the first team offense since camp started, and at this point, it would be an upset if Worley doesn’t win the job. Whether he’s named the starter or not, Dobbs should garner playing time because of his running ability.

Whichever quarterback is named the starter, he’ll arguably have the top receiving corps in the SEC, headlined by Marquez North.

Reactions: 1 person
It'll be nice to see this sorted out. What has surprised me more than anything has been the performance of Peterman. He looks to be the solid # 2 and I know few of us even had him in the mix.

Reactions: 2 people
I really think Ferguson is gonna win it. Has been quiet the past few months, but has the heart of a champion and never quits.

Reactions: 36 people
It'll be nice to see this sorted out. What has surprised me more than anything has been the performance of Peterman. He looks to be the solid # 2 and I know few of us even had him in the mix.

Nathan was also the solid number 2 last year after fall camp. I sincerely hope that after a second year in the system that he can play with poise and confidence if called upon. More than anything else, I'm disappointed that it appears that Dobbs has not progressed like I'd hoped he would. Read on RockytopInsider this weekend that it looks as though Peterman currently has the upper hand for the #2 spot.

I really think Ferguson is gonna win it. Has been quiet the past few months, but has the heart of a champion and never quits.

guy-runs-wall-o.gif

Reactions: 3 people
I would like to see Nathan as the starter...nothing against Worley or Dobbs, just like the thought of someone Jones recruited even before the Tennessee Gig, get the job.

Reactions: 3 people
I know we are limited in what we get to see from practice, but I don't see how Dobbs is in front of Peterman. He has looked awful in most of the videos.

I'm honestly torn between Worley and Peterman. We have seen Worley prove on the field he can manage a game, but he doesn't really have any of those "wow" plays. I hope Peterman gets the nod and kills it. He has the potential.

Reactions: 9 people
I know we are limited in what we get to see from practice, but I don't see how Dobbs is in front of Peterman. He has looked awful in most of the videos.

I'm honestly torn between Worley and Peterman. We have seen Worley prove on the field he can manage a game, but he doesn't really have any of those "wow" plays. I hope Peterman gets the nod and kills it. He has the potential.

Potential goes a long way...
Signed
Anthony Bennett

Huh? Worley vs SCar & Georgia & Florida >>>>>>>>>>>Peterman vs Florida

Reactions: 1 person
Peterman has been impressing the coaches...with mostly second team reps. Worley working with the first team for the majority of the time during fall practice should tell you all you need to know.

Huh? Worley vs SCar & Georgia & Florida >>>>>>>>>>>Peterman vs Florida

"Hey Nate, I don't want you to be nervous or anything, but I'm benching Worley and want you to start your first game ever in the swamp. Yes, I know they probably have the best defense in the nation right now. And yes, this is, in a lot of Vol fans eyes, the team they hate the most and would sacrifice their first child to end the losing streak to. Oh, don't break your thumb or anything like that either behind our underachieving OL." - CBJ

I absolutely refuse to label him a bust because he played awful in his first / only college start. There is a reason the coaches benched Worley and started him, because he can play in the SEC. I just hope he gets his chance to redeem himself.

If he sucks *** again, I'll own up to being wrong.

Reactions: 22 people
Peterman has risen to the top. He is showing the skills that made him so highly rated before the Florida debacle. Peterman is clearly the most accurate and consistent passer with the ability to hit the long ball - which could be lethal with these receivers. He also has the mobility to run Butch's scheme and is in great physical shape. He should start early against the softer opposition to get his bearings. If, as so many worry, Petermen were to choke, give it to Worley to be the game manager.

Many forget that Peterman was a top rated QB in HS. The Florida game was an anomaly in his history. He is quite possibly a diamond in the rough who is being overlooked. Hopefully, Butch will have the guts to give Peterman another chance - despite the political risk. He's earned it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5g857wk-cY

Last edited:
Huh? Justin Worley vs Florida >>>>>>>>>>>Peterman vs Florida

Tennessee Passing vs. Florida 2013

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR

J. Worley 10/23 149 6.5 1 2 32.5
N. Peterman 4/11 5 0.5 0 2 0.7

With those stats it is kind of like the smartest kid with down syndrome....no offense :dunno:

Last edited:
I know posters don't mean harm, or at least hope, but think the pics of down syndrome or special needs to make a silly point are in bad taste. Jmo. There are plenty of other normal idiots to make fun of.

Reactions: 21 people

VN Store

Back